Review: Plants vs. Zombies

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Skeleon said:
Susan Arendt said:
I very much doubt Yahtzee would've touched PvZ with a ten-foot pole.
He did review Peggle, though.
Yeah but that was back in the day when they told him what to review and he diddin't want to. thses days he picks his own games.

paiged

May 23, 2008
I probably watched that damn music video at least a hundred times. If only I hadn't blown all my money and could afford a new ac adapter for my laptop...(this computer is impossibly to play anything on, which is why it's mainly used for forums and msn..I need to save some money...)

Bah I have to get this game.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I got this game about 4 days ago... and have been seriously neglecting my revision playing it. It's like cocaine, speed and heroin mixed together. I've nearly 100% completed it though which is depressing, although I've still got adventure mode 2 to play through. Thank you Susan for making me fail me exams :)

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
I downloaded the demo for this. I thought, "it could be okay." Then I played it, and any doubts I had disappeared. It was the fastest hour of my life, and now I want this game so badly that it's not even funny. I wonder how long it'd take to earn ten dollars... (Yes, I am a middle school student, so no, I don't have a job.)

Oh, zombies...I want more than an tiny hour shooting you with vegetables and blowing you up with fruit...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
the_tramp said:
I got this game about 4 days ago... and have been seriously neglecting my revision playing it. It's like cocaine, speed and heroin mixed together. I've nearly 100% completed it though which is depressing, although I've still got adventure mode 2 to play through. Thank you Susan for making me fail me exams :)
I do what I can. :) Oh, and just start over with a new profile. It's just as fun the second time through, I promise you.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
geldonyetich said:
"I used to hate this game because I'm a hardcore gamer and it appeals to a casual market."
"Used to?"
"Yes, now I hate this game because of carpel tunnels brought on by playing far too much of it."

Not a bad game at all. Bought it yesterday, got my gold statue today. It's fairly easy, especially if you're building two columns of sunflowers. Even after the game is fully beat, there's the endless modes, it would be quite awhile until I've unlocked everything the store, and the zen gardens would probably take months to fill too.

I'd like to stump the survival mode, but no luck yet. Eventually my magnets get gummed up too effectively to thwart digger zombies, the neverending procession of zombonis take out my spikes (even metal) faster than I can lay them. This is to say nothing for the gargantaurs who both add to my spikes wear and tear and subvert my defense with their imp-throwing ways. The balloon zombies feel like an extra wheel - there's just not enough room to plant something to handle them, I'll typically just deal with them with a blover. Oh well, 17 flags isn't bad.
Cattails. You turn your lilly pads into them, they can fire in all lanes -and- at airborne zombies, I think they do about the same damage as the Catcus so you need to mass them, maybe six or eight of em'.

However, they're water plants only, on other maps you can try Cob Cannons, you need to convert two Kernal Paults though, so this means they take up two squares. But, they instakill zombies in a fairly large (and targetable) area, with a moderate cooldown though, so, you'll want two or more to be effective, or just one to save for really massive groups of zombies. It's also the most expensive plant at a whopping 500 sun, and that's not including the 200 sun you spend on the two Kernal Paults in the first place. But, once it's down you don't have to pay for the explosive cobs it launches, so you can think of it more on the order of 4 Cherry Bombs in price and then free cherry bombs every so often after that.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
God Freakin Damn it. And there I thought there are no original games since Portal and World of Goo. But this is the first game I bought after playing an hour in demo...

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
I never had this much fun since I played Stubbs the Zombie and Portal. Damn you PopCap Games for this massively entertaining distraction!

I'm currently at the last level before the boss fight. Damn I hate those Gargantuars. And if you people beat that game easily, I must really suck for being stuck at that level.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
InProgress said:
I never had this much fun since I played Stubbs the Zombie and Portal. Damn you PopCap Games for this massively entertaining distraction!

I'm currently at the last level before the boss fight. Damn I hate those Gargantuars. And if you people beat that game easily, I must really suck for being stuck at that level.
Spam Kernelpaults. Large masses of them immobilize zombies. This gives you more time to recharge your seed packets and place new plants.

Also Gargantuars are best taken care of with explosives. I would shove a doom-shroom near them because it causes massive damage to the other zombies on screen. Then I would just let the kernelpaults take them out, or place a squash next to them (excellent plant). Again, it helps that you have a good number of kernelpaults, as they can throw so much butter that the gargantuars can't even move, allowing you to easily place deadly plants near them.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
GothmogII said:
Cattails. You turn your lilly pads into them, they can fire in all lanes -and- at airborne zombies, I think they do about the same damage as the Catcus so you need to mass them, maybe six or eight of em'.
No way man, they cost 250 to start with, but every one after that is 50 more. I normally use those triple peashooters.

What ever you do, don't waste your money on the tree of life until you have nothing else to spend it on. I wasted like 30k on that damn thing and all it gave me with useless advice and a few cheats I could easily find on the internet.

Good game overall.

edit:
geldonyetich said:
I'd like to stump the survival mode, but no luck yet. Eventually my magnets get gummed up too effectively to thwart digger zombies, the neverending procession of zombonis take out my spikes (even metal) faster than I can lay them. This is to say nothing for the gargantaurs who both add to my spikes wear and tear and subvert my defense with their imp-throwing ways. The balloon zombies feel like an extra wheel - there's just not enough room to plant something to handle them, I'll typically just deal with them with a blover. Oh well, 17 flags isn't bad.
Don't worry, I think the highest i got to was level 18 as well before those damn giant zombie beasts and sneaky diggers overwhelmed my defences as well.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Markness said:
GothmogII said:
No way man, they cost 250 to start with, but every one after that is 50 more. I normally use those triple peashooters.
I managed to get 27 flags in endless survival and cat tails are almost a nesessity, not only do they shoot twice, they can hit in any lane to help do damage to the farthest along zombies, they can take down air, and if any diggers get to your back row they can hit them as well.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Markness said:
GothmogII said:
I managed to get 27 flags in endless survival and cat tails are almost a nesessity, not only do they shoot twice, they can hit in any lane to help do damage to the farthest along zombies, they can take down air, and if any diggers get to your back row they can hit them as well.
Well I guess they would save space from not needing as many magnets, but wouldn't they get too expensive for what they're worth after about 4 at the most? They also seem to waste a lot of bullets as the ones they are shooting disappear after the target is dead whereas normal bullets hit the zombie behind.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Markness said:
Well I guess they would save space from not needing as many magnets, but wouldn't they get too expensive for what they're worth after about 4 at the most? They also seem to waste a lot of bullets as the ones they are shooting disappear after the target is dead whereas normal bullets hit the zombie behind.
well it's either cat tails, cacti or the blowers to deal with air. But yeah they are expensive, but then again most of the upgrades are after awhile, and in endless most of them are extremely helpful. I dont think I could get past 10 without rockspikes, doubble sunflowers, and frozen watermelon launchers.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I think I've officially burned myself out on this game now. After getting the 10 seed slot I went to endless survivor mode and made it to flag 46. That was absolute madness and I made 60,000 dollars while playing it (hello two new zen gardens) but after the flood of gargantuars and zombonis and diggers and total lack of sun they got through. Even with 4 cob cannons in my pool, I just couldn't do it. The zombies ate my brains.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Honestly worth every penny. It's one of those 2 week addiction games where you will play it non-stop. 50 extra Missions and reasons to go over the 50 normal missions twice. Not to mention a zen garden with collectable plants, and a huge tree you can grow. 50 types of plants 20 types of zombies, good times.