Review: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

HeartGold and SoulSilver are the definitive Pokémon versions whether you're a longtime fan or a newcomer to the series.

Read Full Article

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sinse I consider Gold & Silver the best in the series, I like that it's been re-released. I doubt I'm going to buy it, however.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I will convince my brother to buy it for his DS so I can play it after he beats it haha. Damn I'm so cheap...

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
shirin238 said:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...
Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.

Nov 7, 2009
I was always going to buy this, but now I definitely have to. Have to get a new DS first though. >_<
Oh well, anything for my beloved Pokemon, especially since it's a remake of my 2nd favorite game ever.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I got both copies because, fuck it, I knew I was going to get them both eventually. Although I haven't opened them yet, Shin Megami Tensei is far too addicting.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Time to borrow my friends DS again, it seems. Good to know that they're worth playing, though it has been quite some time since I picked up a Pokemon game.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
shirin238 said:
Be proud, they're great games. Just because they've always been targeted to younger players doesn't mean they're not worth playing.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Just one question.. does this version of the game have Mankey in it? For some reason I've always loved Mankey. Heh

Hazz_11

May 10, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Sinse I consider Gold & Silver the best in the series, I like that it's been re-released. I doubt I'm going to buy it, however.
i agree i think they were one of the best sequel in a game series and i will be buying them to try and recapture some of my youth =D

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
I'm really impressed / embarrassed that I recall who Youngster Joey is, and the Pokemon he uses. Hahaha

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
*sigh* I really want to like the Pokemon games, but having played several of the SMT titles (SMT 3: Nocturne specifically) before ever touching a pokemon game, I just cannot take the battle system. It's just too slow and too boring, and this is coming from someone who LIKES turn based systems.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Jonci said:
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.
He's rebattled me three times. I got three HP Ups. Mmm....HP Up...

OT: Pretty much exactly my sentiments. Gold/Silver had been the best in the series, but with the advent of Gen. IV mechanics and graphics, HeartGold/SoulSilver have definitely claimed their rightful spot. Hopefully they can keep it for another eight years.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I pre-oprdered SoulSilver and have played about 17 hours worth of it, it's awesome.

Youngster Joey keeps calling me about his goddamn Rattatta, like it's in the top percentage of Rattatta or something.

I like that certain trainers will give you evolution stones via phone call (a la Pokemon Crystal) because otherwise they're tough to get.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
I have it right here, right now. Pokemon HeartGold baby. And my lil ho-oh figure.

Go. Buy. Now

Jaker the Baker

Guild Warrior
Nov 9, 2009
Fuck YES!! Joey needs to DIE!!! "My Rattata is like, the best Rattata, like he's in the top percentage of Rattata's. You know what I am saying?" Next call: "I tried to catch a Caterpie today, but I failed". Where's your top tier Rattata now, dumbass!?

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
I wasted so much time on Pokémon: Gold when I was a child. Good memories. Now, if only I had a Nintendo DS.

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
UK release date tommorow. Cant wait, 2nd gen was easily my favourite generation for both pokemon(i like the 2nd gen monsters more than the original 151)and games. This will be the ultimate pokemon game,and the ultimate indulgance of my nostalgia.

Travis Austin

Jan 13, 2010
I'm going to get Heartgold eventually. I'm gonna get my mom to buy it for me 'cause God knows I'm not gonna be seen buying it.
btw, Crystal was the best in the series.

Apr 28, 2008
I love these games.

I hope they remake Crystal, since I loved it so much, but if not thats fine to, since SoulSilver will keep me occupied for a long time.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I've played 46 hours since release day. So obviously I don't like Heartgold.

But seriously, this review is spot on. I consider these the best of the series, just as the original Gold and Silver were.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am still on the fence about it all. Looks and sounds good. I think I will end up buying it but might wait a little while.

Still. Awesome to see one of my favs get a re-release (Somewhat)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Delusibeta said:
I agree, those had me entertained more than any of the older or newer games. I did already buy it because I've been waiting for this since Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Good review and I have to agree that the most annoying part about Gold and Silver is the phone that forces you to listen to all the news about boring new things that happened to them. I can't wait to play the game though.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
I get paid tommorow and first thing i'm doing is Ordering a DS and then buying HeartGold.

Gold/Silver were easily the best in the Poke series. Like Funk mentioned, it was pretty much 2 games in one, oh you've beat the final boss? THINK AGAIN.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
These games kick ass, and I don't say that very often. They took the best generation of Pokemon games, added all the tweaks, upgrades, and features from the latest generation, and put in a nifty new device. Seriously, this is probably gonna be my personal handheld game of the year.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Games getter better every time. This is no different.
...Wha?

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
I just can't wait for LiverSpiritEmerald. That one is going to be so much fun.

Actually, I haven't played these yet, although my friend has and he says they are really good.

Flamestorm06

Mar 23, 2010
pantsoffdanceoff said:
I got both copies because, fuck it, I knew I was going to get them both eventually. Although I haven't opened them yet, Shin Megami Tensei is far too addicting.
... crap, I forgot to go pick up my copy yesterday. Thanks for the reminder!

On another note I love the fact they re-released GS, especially since they added the crystal storyline subplot to it

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
Jaker the Baker said:
Fuck YES!! Joey needs to DIE!!! "My Rattata is like, the best Rattata, like he's in the top percentage of Rattata's. You know what I am saying?" Next call: "I tried to catch a Caterpie today, but I failed". Where's your top tier Rattata now, dumbass!?
Ever consider his Rattata is so awesome he keeps accidently one shotting the caterpies?

And I feel the review was spot on. Its such nice nostalgia in an updated package. Though part of me certainly misses the bug abuse of the original Gold. Overall money well spent though.

And really, I would love less phone calls.

And is it me, or are eggs far more common? I haven't done any breeding in games really since Gold, and I don't recall 10 eggs an hour back then...

Generator

May 8, 2009
I didn't really need the review, as I pretty much already knew that I'd want it for sheer nostalgia alone. However, it is nice to hear that they also threw in some new extras and polished it. When I finally do get a DS, this will definitely be part of the first batch of games I pick up.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
I've had SoulSilver for about a week now, it's been wonderful.

I was on the fence because I just got Pokemon Platinum last month, but what the hell. I want to be able to get all the limited-time bonus stuff I can for this, so I'm ready and waiting for the the Yellow Forest next Wednesday!

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I plan on buying these. Both of them. I don't care if the sales guy stares at me. I'm gonna' get 'em and I'm gonna' catch 'em.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
shirin238 said:
If someone laughed at you for buying an actual Pokemon game, I'd have to say they aren't a real gamer.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
they need to re-release yellow ^_^ i would love to see a more 3D Pikachu ^_^

the name could be Thunder Yellow?..Lightning Yellow?

help me out here lol

ethan22122

Dec 18, 2009
are the remakes adding the new pokemon, or are they only using the pokemon from the original games?

Dec 14, 2009
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
There would be no point. All the features of yellow are in HG and SS, except for a few pokemon, and of course, Pikachu being your starter. You can get any of the pokemon to follow you around, so it's essentially the same thing.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Cpu46 said:
shirin238 said:
Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.
I'm 26 and I'll probably be picking up Soul Silver tomorrow :D

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Just one question.. does this version of the game have Mankey in it? For some reason I've always loved Mankey. Heh
Every version of every game has Mankey in it. And Zubat. And Geodude. And some retarded Rattata offshoot.

OT: Nice review, but there was no need to convince me, Mr. Funk. My pre-order just arrived.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
ethan22122 said:
are the remakes adding the new pokemon, or are they only using the pokemon from the original games?
Not every pokemon will be availably from the start, but they can be found later in the game, and they can also be traded with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, plus there's also a Pal Park located... somewhere, so you can still transfer you li'l buddies from the GBA games.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I thought about buying this, but my copy of silver still works (unlike red) so I am reluctant to get, but I still might. The big reason I haven't bought a pokemon sense silver is that others my age weren't, but know I have friends that love pokemon so its cool.

Dec 14, 2009
Mako SOLDIER said:
Cpu46 said:
shirin238 said:
I'm 26 and I'll probably be picking up Soul Silver tomorrow :D
22 here, getting mine tommorow as well. I am not ashamed.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
There would be no point. All the features of yellow are in HG and SS, except for a few pokemon, and of course, Pikachu being your starter. You can get any of the pokemon to follow you around, so it's essentially the same thing.
bu..but Pikachu O.O

i dunno i just think it would be fun ^_^ plus you can get Bulbasaur Squirtle and Charmander pretty easily. im pretty sure they are absent from the new games right?

and is the Hoan region still available in these games? or is it just Jhoto?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Doesn't come out in the UK until tomorrow... And despite the fact that a minor screw-up led to it being delivered to my front door today, I was asleep, and hence couldn't collect it :(
Quick question - can you trade with diamond etc... straight away, or is it like the time machine from the original gold and silver?

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

i dunno i just think it would be fun ^_^ plus you can get Bulbasaur Squirtle and Charmander pretty easily. im pretty sure they are absent from the new games right?

You can get first 3 generation starters in HG/SS. They are rewards for talking to certain people in the game.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Games getter better every time. This is no different.
Agree with this, although I thought leaf green was the peak in the series thus far (Pearl was awesome I just liked the extra islands). However I was almost overcome with the news of silver remakes and have my winging it's way to me in the post as we speak.

Going to be epic, and time for Chikorita's (that's right Chikorita) reign of adorable terror begin

J03bot said:
Doesn't come out in the UK until tomorrow... And despite the fact that a minor screw-up led to it being delivered to my front door today, I was asleep, and hence couldn't collect it :(
Quick question - can you trade with diamond etc... straight away, or is it like the time machine from the original gold and silver?
I think straight away from what I gather since diamond and pearl have identical rosters with heart and soul. Some new items in soul (I assume there may be some) will not be able to be traded back.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
I'm considering getting a DS just for this game ahahah, I feel all nostalgic after playing Pokemon Red & Blue for many late nights when I was a kid.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

You can get first 3 generation starters in HG/SS. They are rewards for talking to certain people in the game.
woop! first game im getting for my DS then!! =D hmmm soul silver or heart gold

*thinks*

white whale bird thing, or sparkly rainbow bird =\

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Jonci said:
I wonder if there's a way to show him an awesome Bidoof. That would probably blow his mind :D

OT: I'll probably get this sometime next week. What version I get depends on which one my friend gets

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
arc1991 said:
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

*thinks*

lol also the legendaries from Ruby/Sapphire in HG/SS as well. They are game dependant also.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Must... resist... urge... to buy the same game again for the sixth time. Will... weakening. So much elite four grind... but so much good gameplay... must... not... ahhhhhh!

Eh, maybe I'll buy it. Somehow, even though its the same game each time, it hasn't bored me yet. Still, I never finished Diamond.

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
Enigmers said:
I pre-oprdered SoulSilver and have played about 17 hours worth of it, it's awesome.

Youngster Joey keeps calling me about his goddamn Rattatta, like it's in the top percentage of Rattatta or something.

I like that certain trainers will give you evolution stones via phone call (a la Pokemon Crystal) because otherwise they're tough to get.
Youngster Joey should get hit by a bus, or assassinated by Team Rocket.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

*thinks*

lol also the legendaries from Ruby/Sapphire in HG/SS as well. They are game dependant also.
I think i just jizzed o_O

*thinks long and hard*

right yep, getting soul silver and it's gonna be my first DS game XD

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I bought a whole new DS just for this game

[small] [small] [small] [small] and because my first one was broken... [/small] [/small] [/small] [/small]

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Jonci said:
But, but, it's in like the top percentage of rattata ya know?

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Crystal was my absolute favorite in the series with GSC being my favorite gen so I'm loving these games. Got Soul Silver on launch day (the first game that I've gotten on launch day) and have been playing it since.

With all the added content I expect to easily pass my approximately 366 hours of combined gameplay from the GSC generation (226 of those are just Crystal).

The one thing that take away from the nostalgia (for me at least) is the colors. I love seeing Johto in full color like this but when I walk into a town I'm more like "Oh... it's this town..." instead of "Wow! It's this town!" It's just the better graphic but it just doesn't feel right. Love the game anyway though.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I want to see what the Prima Pokedex will look like. The Pokemon Platinum guide was the size of a freaking phonebook. I'd just like something that has all of the stats and attacks for all DS-obtainable pokemon to date mostly just to see what would be the greatest team of 6 non-legendaries would be.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
John Funk said:
John Funk wishes that Youngster Joey would shut up about his goddamn Rattata.
I agree with you on that i just started the game and joey is already getting on my nerves.

Agree with you on the review and this is my fav generation of pokemon though i trudged through ruby and tried my nephews diamond version. Gold silver and crystal were my favs with Crystal considered to be the best.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Irridium said:
I love these games.

I hope they remake Crystal, since I loved it so much, but if not thats fine to, since SoulSilver will keep me occupied for a long time.
afaik, Crystal is in this game.
The suicine story is definately in it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Damn that Youngster Joey and his Rattata! He really never would shuttup about his stupid rat pokemon. Honestly, you might've thought he'd mosey on over to the caves to see what a Dunsparce looked like, or to the lake to be amazed by the magnificence that is Magikarp, but NOOOOOO, it's always Rattata this, Rattata that. Didn't it evolve into a Raticate, but he kept calling it a Rattata? Can't quite remember...

Anyway, I haven't played my DS in yonks. I'm not going to rush out and buy a game anytime soon, especially not a new one, but maybe if I find one second hand at a reasonable price. As long as it's Silver. Gold can go suck a lemon.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
Thank you! This review highlights my every idea about these games, which honestly has only ever happened once before...so I guess there's really nothing else to say, it's said it all for me.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
How much are one of them new fangled nintendo hand contraptions?

I always found it funny that a trainer battle was a very poorly disguised mugging, which kinda makes you question who's the bad guy you or team rocket.

Sure Team Rocket went around saying they were evil, and doing villain things like revealing they're entire evil plan to you when ever they could, but you went around the entire fucking world beating up kids for their lunch money.

I too hate Youngster Joey and his Rattata, and that they always think they'll beat you this time.

"No way am I losing this time."
*level 25 raticate*
"Uh huh."
*level 100 anything else*

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
shirin238 said:
ask them to wrap it :D that way, you can imply that it's a gift xD
and if you have a short memory, you're bound to be in for a happy surprise at home when you find your present :p

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Jaker the Baker said:
Fuck YES!! Joey needs to DIE!!! "My Rattata is like, the best Rattata, like he's in the top percentage of Rattata's. You know what I am saying?" Next call: "I tried to catch a Caterpie today, ..
yo I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but i just wanted to say joey has the best rattata of all time

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Jonci said:
Go challenge him again with a level 78 something... :D

"*****, now will you STFU!?"

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
If I had a DS I'd buy these in a shot. Gold was so much fun to play, and I'll be able to name most of the Pokemon in this one.

Apr 28, 2008
Wizzie said:
Irridium said:
I love these games.

afaik, Crystal is in this game.
The suicine story is definately in it.
Wait really?

Well, I'm off to the store then. SoulSilver, here I come!

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
What is the difference between the two versions? Are they the same except for different pokémon? Which one would you guys recommend I pick up?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
The gf and I are picking copies up tomorrow and we're 26. I have the advantage though that I can let her hold them while Im in the queue so it looks like they're for her which is of course socially acceptable. :p

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
Waaaaah... no money spending allowed for the next three months.

But the instant I re-enter Australian soil, I'm going to the nearest EB.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I only played the first and second pokemon egnerations back when I was 12. The first one I loved because of my memories of rivalry between me and a friend in the days before the internet was as massive as today. we spent a month fighting every weekend, learning from the other and improving our game. Still, looking back the battle system was sort of broken (particularly when it came to psychic pokemon) so it was refreshing to see it addressed in GSC. Silver was the last game I played before quitting but I still consider the team I had back then as my ultimate team. I even remember which ones I used: Blastoise, Umbreon, Zapdos, Arcanine, Steelix and Miltank :p.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Bought it today on England release date and got my cute little Ho-oh model.
One quick question though after the elite four do you get the "National pokedex" and have to catch all 500 and something pokemans? Or does it limit you too the 251 good pokemon?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
What is the difference between the two versions? Are they the same except for different pokémon? Which one would you guys recommend I pick up?
Each games does the usual exclusive pokemon roster, so you have to trade with someone that has the other. Like HG gets Growlithe while SS gets Vulpix.
There are also some pokemon that aren't exclusive, but appear in different locations in each version. Like Weedle can be found on route 31 in SS, while Caterpie is there on HG. Both can be found in the Bug-catching contest area, though.
Also, the Lugia and Ho-oh will be different starting levels depending which you get (HG: Ho-oh 40, Lugia 70. SS: Lugia 40, Ho-oh 70).

Rusman said:
Bought it today on England release date and got my cute little Ho-oh model.
One quick question though after the elite four do you get the "National pokedex" and have to catch all 500 and something pokemans? Or does it limit you too the 251 good pokemon?
Once you beat the champion, you get the National Pokedex and can go to the Kanto region. You could technically get all the pokemon that currently exists, but it would require trading and/or using the Pal Park. Sinnoh and Hoenn pokemon don't normally appear in the wild, but sometimes they can be found during swarms announced by Professor Oak on his radio show.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
ArcWinter said:
I just can't wait for LiverSpiritEmerald. That one is going to be so much fun.

Actually, I haven't played these yet, although my friend has and he says they are really good.
Actually, we're gonna get PersonalityCrystal.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
I'm gonna wait for the DS-XL to come out then I'll DEFINATELY get it.

Been a long time since I played Classic Silver. I'll probably be able to pronounce the pokemon names now. O-many-te?

Serris said:
Jaker the Baker said:
Fuck YES!! Joey needs to DIE!!! "My Rattata is like, the best Rattata, like he's in the top percentage of Rattata's. You know what I am saying?" Next call: "I tried to catch a Caterpie today, ..
yo I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but i just wanted to say joey has the best rattata of all time
Rival: Bitches don't know about my Raticate!

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
shirin238 said:
Say that your buying it for a cousins birthday. :D

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
shirin238 said:
If someone laughed at you for buying an actual Pokemon game, I'd have to say they aren't a real gamer.
SirBryghtside said:
shirin238 said:
C'mon, it's not that childish!

Well, it is, but...

GET IT IN ANY WAY YOU CAN.

I'm totally getting this tomorrow, straight after I get home from school - it'll be a nice touch, as I'll have done ALL of my coursework.

Anyway, great review - but wasn't the annoying phone call system in the older versions?

Goddammit I'll learn to hate them again...
Virgil said:
shirin238 said:
Be proud, they're great games. Just because they've always been targeted to younger players doesn't mean they're not worth playing.
Cpu46 said:
shirin238 said:
Serris said:
shirin238 said:
ask them to wrap it :D that way, you can imply that it's a gift xD
and if you have a short memory, you're bound to be in for a happy surprise at home when you find your present :p
the stonker said:
shirin238 said:
Hahaha, thanks for the tips :)
Luckily the sales person was the only guy in the store at the time, and was too busy okaying Just Cause 2 to actually care for what I was buying, so I came out unscathed.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
the stonker said:
shirin238 said:
I use that one as an excuse too xD but only if they ask, as you see from my previous post, i just ask them to wrap it (i keep the cousin thing as backup in case they ask for whom)

Alas, I was going to buy it this weekend, since the release date was 27th of march, but for some reason holland and the dutch part of belgium (where i live) have had the date pushed back due to a defect in the cartridges. so everyone in europe and half of belgium is enjoying their pokemon. except for me T-T

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I've very tempted by this, wanted a pokemon game for a long time. Of course, that would mean actually getting a DS, but needs must ;)

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Picked it up a couple of days ago and I have to say, I love it. I was a huge fan of the original Gold and the tweaks that have come from Gens III & IV have given it a good polish.

It is this most expensive game I've ever bought though, at $328 AUD! It did come with a new DSi though so that's ok =)
(I bought the DSi only to play HeartGold)

Aymz.Adversa

Mar 30, 2010
I've loved pokemon since I was about 3 and as its been said - any pokemon past the 2nd generation got a bit too much for the old-school poke fans out there. Admittedly, diamond and pearl were quite fabulous, being the first to have the 3D play but the pokemon were dense and less interesting (but maybe thats because its coming from someone like me who likes the old pokemon line up).

These games do look fantastic, and i'm so miffed right now that I cant find my DS, (since its randomly disappeared for months..erg FAIL). Watching my Boyfriend play it was great, bits of old and new and the remarkable nostalgia which is mentioned in the review. Just thought I'd voice my opinion, I love the Johto pokemon quite a lot too and this game will be bought soon, definately.

Gotta be Soulsilver, box set image is way better >.< (Lugia ftw).

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
All I can do is shake my head and chuckle at all the people feeling a little embarrassed to buy a Pokemon game now that they're "older."

When Pokemon Blue came out, I was 17 and a senior in high school. Buying SoulSilver at 28 didn't phase me at all. ;)

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
This game is sooo slow. You walk at a snails pace and to me it just feels like it drags on and on. They really need to add a turbo feature or something or just speed the pace up my God.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i'm kinda glad they re-released it, but i probably won't buy it. nintendo needs to have a pokemon game were we can continue the story from the others with the character we want. like in the next game we start on a boat sailing to the new reigion but b4 we do we connect our previous game saves from the other game and chose which character we played as do we want to be in the new game. then were sailing off starting all over (me is chris from crystal) with one pokemon and my typhlosion and blaziken....

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
i got both but i only play on heartgold cos i got feraligator level 67 and i beat the first 3 gyms

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
i got em both. soulsilver isnt as good as silver but heartgold beats any game i ever played for the DS easily.

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
Hamster at Dawn said:
heartgold. definately. i thought the same with pearl and diamond so i got both but now i know better. cost me £60 to get em both but with heartgold and soulsilver it was an easy choice. you can get ho-oh on heartgold whereas on soulsilver you can get the almightily crap lugia. hope it helps.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
mr.machoke said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
heartgold. definately. i thought the same with pearl and diamond so i got both but now i know better. cost me £60 to get em both but with heartgold and soulsilver it was an easy choice. you can get ho-oh on heartgold whereas on soulsilver you can get the almightily crap lugia. hope it helps.
Thanks, I suppose it would make sense for gold to be better than silver.

John Doe123

Apr 8, 2010
If you play pokemon like it is and beat the league and stuff, you will get at least 40 hours of gameplay. If you do EV training and battle tower (look in http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml) you will get at least 200 hours of gameplay. I never tried "catching them all" before though. And no, this is not a cheap remake! There's lots of new features, and they cranked up the difficulty (or at least it seems like to me). Lets see if youngster Joey can beat the elite 4 with his ratata..

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Since we all know that Pokemon because seven trillion times better when you can thrust your 'mons in other people's faces, try http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Pokemon-Generation-IV out for size!

Let's start a nice little love-in.

Aymz.Adversa

Mar 30, 2010
mr.machoke said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Actually, I have to disagree, Lugia is a lot better than Hooh, and ho-oh at level 70 is completely rubbish on soulsilver and even the sprite of lugia looks more appealing. Soul Silver is the exact same as Heartgold and the only slight differences are the pokemon you may or may not get, but who cares! I trade so this doesnt bother me in the slightest. My lugia..(which unfortunately i havent trained up so much ) is good even when you get it at lv 45 on soulsilver. His attacks are ace;)

Im a massive lugia fan so im DEFINATELY going to counter that reply >.< lol

Heartgold and Soul Silver....no difference, what your saying is a load of bull XD It doesnt matter which you buy. I'd reccomend Silver but thats because im just a lugia fan so yeh.
Nice comment but its not true. They are the same. Justice is served.

maxximuscree

Nov 3, 2010
already have SS and beat it (red is hard!!!) having fun in the pokealton, and now just training my nidoking and lucario to crush all weaklings like joey and his punk ass rattata.