Review: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Cpu46 said:
shirin238 said:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...
Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.
I'm 26 and I'll probably be picking up Soul Silver tomorrow :D

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Just one question.. does this version of the game have Mankey in it? For some reason I've always loved Mankey. Heh
Every version of every game has Mankey in it. And Zubat. And Geodude. And some retarded Rattata offshoot.

OT: Nice review, but there was no need to convince me, Mr. Funk. My pre-order just arrived.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
ethan22122 said:
are the remakes adding the new pokemon, or are they only using the pokemon from the original games?
Not every pokemon will be availably from the start, but they can be found later in the game, and they can also be traded with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, plus there's also a Pal Park located... somewhere, so you can still transfer you li'l buddies from the GBA games.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I thought about buying this, but my copy of silver still works (unlike red) so I am reluctant to get, but I still might. The big reason I haven't bought a pokemon sense silver is that others my age weren't, but know I have friends that love pokemon so its cool.

Dec 14, 2009
Mako SOLDIER said:
Cpu46 said:
shirin238 said:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...
Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.
I'm 26 and I'll probably be picking up Soul Silver tomorrow :D
22 here, getting mine tommorow as well. I am not ashamed.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:
they need to re-release yellow ^_^ i would love to see a more 3D Pikachu ^_^

the name could be Thunder Yellow?..Lightning Yellow?

help me out here lol
There would be no point. All the features of yellow are in HG and SS, except for a few pokemon, and of course, Pikachu being your starter. You can get any of the pokemon to follow you around, so it's essentially the same thing.
bu..but Pikachu O.O

i dunno i just think it would be fun ^_^ plus you can get Bulbasaur Squirtle and Charmander pretty easily. im pretty sure they are absent from the new games right?

and is the Hoan region still available in these games? or is it just Jhoto?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Doesn't come out in the UK until tomorrow... And despite the fact that a minor screw-up led to it being delivered to my front door today, I was asleep, and hence couldn't collect it :(
Quick question - can you trade with diamond etc... straight away, or is it like the time machine from the original gold and silver?

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
There would be no point. All the features of yellow are in HG and SS, except for a few pokemon, and of course, Pikachu being your starter. You can get any of the pokemon to follow you around, so it's essentially the same thing.
bu..but Pikachu O.O

i dunno i just think it would be fun ^_^ plus you can get Bulbasaur Squirtle and Charmander pretty easily. im pretty sure they are absent from the new games right?

You can get first 3 generation starters in HG/SS. They are rewards for talking to certain people in the game.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Games getter better every time. This is no different.
Agree with this, although I thought leaf green was the peak in the series thus far (Pearl was awesome I just liked the extra islands). However I was almost overcome with the news of silver remakes and have my winging it's way to me in the post as we speak.

Going to be epic, and time for Chikorita's (that's right Chikorita) reign of adorable terror begin

J03bot said:
Doesn't come out in the UK until tomorrow... And despite the fact that a minor screw-up led to it being delivered to my front door today, I was asleep, and hence couldn't collect it :(
Quick question - can you trade with diamond etc... straight away, or is it like the time machine from the original gold and silver?
I think straight away from what I gather since diamond and pearl have identical rosters with heart and soul. Some new items in soul (I assume there may be some) will not be able to be traded back.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
I'm considering getting a DS just for this game ahahah, I feel all nostalgic after playing Pokemon Red & Blue for many late nights when I was a kid.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

You can get first 3 generation starters in HG/SS. They are rewards for talking to certain people in the game.
woop! first game im getting for my DS then!! =D hmmm soul silver or heart gold

*thinks*

white whale bird thing, or sparkly rainbow bird =\

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Jonci said:
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.
I wonder if there's a way to show him an awesome Bidoof. That would probably blow his mind :D

OT: I'll probably get this sometime next week. What version I get depends on which one my friend gets

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
arc1991 said:
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

*thinks*

lol also the legendaries from Ruby/Sapphire in HG/SS as well. They are game dependant also.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Must... resist... urge... to buy the same game again for the sixth time. Will... weakening. So much elite four grind... but so much good gameplay... must... not... ahhhhhh!

Eh, maybe I'll buy it. Somehow, even though its the same game each time, it hasn't bored me yet. Still, I never finished Diamond.

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
Enigmers said:
I pre-oprdered SoulSilver and have played about 17 hours worth of it, it's awesome.

Youngster Joey keeps calling me about his goddamn Rattatta, like it's in the top percentage of Rattatta or something.

I like that certain trainers will give you evolution stones via phone call (a la Pokemon Crystal) because otherwise they're tough to get.
Youngster Joey should get hit by a bus, or assassinated by Team Rocket.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Heppenfeph said:
arc1991 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
arc1991 said:

help me out here lol
bu..but Pikachu O.O

*thinks*

lol also the legendaries from Ruby/Sapphire in HG/SS as well. They are game dependant also.
I think i just jizzed o_O

*thinks long and hard*

right yep, getting soul silver and it's gonna be my first DS game XD

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I bought a whole new DS just for this game

[small] [small] [small] [small] and because my first one was broken... [/small] [/small] [/small] [/small]

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Jonci said:
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.
But, but, it's in like the top percentage of rattata ya know?

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
Crystal was my absolute favorite in the series with GSC being my favorite gen so I'm loving these games. Got Soul Silver on launch day (the first game that I've gotten on launch day) and have been playing it since.

With all the added content I expect to easily pass my approximately 366 hours of combined gameplay from the GSC generation (226 of those are just Crystal).

The one thing that take away from the nostalgia (for me at least) is the colors. I love seeing Johto in full color like this but when I walk into a town I'm more like "Oh... it's this town..." instead of "Wow! It's this town!" It's just the better graphic but it just doesn't feel right. Love the game anyway though.