Review: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I want to see what the Prima Pokedex will look like. The Pokemon Platinum guide was the size of a freaking phonebook. I'd just like something that has all of the stats and attacks for all DS-obtainable pokemon to date mostly just to see what would be the greatest team of 6 non-legendaries would be.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
John Funk said:
John Funk wishes that Youngster Joey would shut up about his goddamn Rattata.
I agree with you on that i just started the game and joey is already getting on my nerves.

Agree with you on the review and this is my fav generation of pokemon though i trudged through ruby and tried my nephews diamond version. Gold silver and crystal were my favs with Crystal considered to be the best.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Irridium said:
I love these games.

I hope they remake Crystal, since I loved it so much, but if not thats fine to, since SoulSilver will keep me occupied for a long time.
afaik, Crystal is in this game.
The suicine story is definately in it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Damn that Youngster Joey and his Rattata! He really never would shuttup about his stupid rat pokemon. Honestly, you might've thought he'd mosey on over to the caves to see what a Dunsparce looked like, or to the lake to be amazed by the magnificence that is Magikarp, but NOOOOOO, it's always Rattata this, Rattata that. Didn't it evolve into a Raticate, but he kept calling it a Rattata? Can't quite remember...

Anyway, I haven't played my DS in yonks. I'm not going to rush out and buy a game anytime soon, especially not a new one, but maybe if I find one second hand at a reasonable price. As long as it's Silver. Gold can go suck a lemon.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
Thank you! This review highlights my every idea about these games, which honestly has only ever happened once before...so I guess there's really nothing else to say, it's said it all for me.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
How much are one of them new fangled nintendo hand contraptions?

I always found it funny that a trainer battle was a very poorly disguised mugging, which kinda makes you question who's the bad guy you or team rocket.

Sure Team Rocket went around saying they were evil, and doing villain things like revealing they're entire evil plan to you when ever they could, but you went around the entire fucking world beating up kids for their lunch money.

I too hate Youngster Joey and his Rattata, and that they always think they'll beat you this time.

"No way am I losing this time."
*level 25 raticate*
"Uh huh."
*level 100 anything else*

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Jonci said:
Yeah, damn that Youngster Joey. When is he going to challenge me to a rematch? I don't care that you think your rattata is special. I stomped its butt and I'd do it again.
Go challenge him again with a level 78 something... :D

"*****, now will you STFU!?"

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
If I had a DS I'd buy these in a shot. Gold was so much fun to play, and I'll be able to name most of the Pokemon in this one.

Apr 28, 2008
Wizzie said:
Irridium said:
I love these games.

I hope they remake Crystal, since I loved it so much, but if not thats fine to, since SoulSilver will keep me occupied for a long time.
afaik, Crystal is in this game.
The suicine story is definately in it.
Wait really?

Well, I'm off to the store then. SoulSilver, here I come!

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
What is the difference between the two versions? Are they the same except for different pokémon? Which one would you guys recommend I pick up?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
The gf and I are picking copies up tomorrow and we're 26. I have the advantage though that I can let her hold them while Im in the queue so it looks like they're for her which is of course socially acceptable. :p

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
Waaaaah... no money spending allowed for the next three months.

But the instant I re-enter Australian soil, I'm going to the nearest EB.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I only played the first and second pokemon egnerations back when I was 12. The first one I loved because of my memories of rivalry between me and a friend in the days before the internet was as massive as today. we spent a month fighting every weekend, learning from the other and improving our game. Still, looking back the battle system was sort of broken (particularly when it came to psychic pokemon) so it was refreshing to see it addressed in GSC. Silver was the last game I played before quitting but I still consider the team I had back then as my ultimate team. I even remember which ones I used: Blastoise, Umbreon, Zapdos, Arcanine, Steelix and Miltank :p.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Bought it today on England release date and got my cute little Ho-oh model.
One quick question though after the elite four do you get the "National pokedex" and have to catch all 500 and something pokemans? Or does it limit you too the 251 good pokemon?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
What is the difference between the two versions? Are they the same except for different pokémon? Which one would you guys recommend I pick up?
Each games does the usual exclusive pokemon roster, so you have to trade with someone that has the other. Like HG gets Growlithe while SS gets Vulpix.
There are also some pokemon that aren't exclusive, but appear in different locations in each version. Like Weedle can be found on route 31 in SS, while Caterpie is there on HG. Both can be found in the Bug-catching contest area, though.
Also, the Lugia and Ho-oh will be different starting levels depending which you get (HG: Ho-oh 40, Lugia 70. SS: Lugia 40, Ho-oh 70).

Rusman said:
Bought it today on England release date and got my cute little Ho-oh model.
One quick question though after the elite four do you get the "National pokedex" and have to catch all 500 and something pokemans? Or does it limit you too the 251 good pokemon?
Once you beat the champion, you get the National Pokedex and can go to the Kanto region. You could technically get all the pokemon that currently exists, but it would require trading and/or using the Pal Park. Sinnoh and Hoenn pokemon don't normally appear in the wild, but sometimes they can be found during swarms announced by Professor Oak on his radio show.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
ArcWinter said:
I just can't wait for LiverSpiritEmerald. That one is going to be so much fun.

Actually, I haven't played these yet, although my friend has and he says they are really good.
Actually, we're gonna get PersonalityCrystal.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
I'm gonna wait for the DS-XL to come out then I'll DEFINATELY get it.

Been a long time since I played Classic Silver. I'll probably be able to pronounce the pokemon names now. O-many-te?

Serris said:
Jaker the Baker said:
Fuck YES!! Joey needs to DIE!!! "My Rattata is like, the best Rattata, like he's in the top percentage of Rattata's. You know what I am saying?" Next call: "I tried to catch a Caterpie today, ..
yo I'm really happy for you and imma let you finish, but i just wanted to say joey has the best rattata of all time
Rival: Bitches don't know about my Raticate!