Review: Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
shirin238 said:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...
Say that your buying it for a cousins birthday. :D

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
shirin238 said:
hmmz, i;m totally getting this :D now I only pray the sales person won't laugh at me, or maybe I can convince a kid to buy it for me, I'll have to figure something out in the store...
If someone laughed at you for buying an actual Pokemon game, I'd have to say they aren't a real gamer.
SirBryghtside said:
shirin238 said:
C'mon, it's not that childish!

Well, it is, but...

GET IT IN ANY WAY YOU CAN.

I'm totally getting this tomorrow, straight after I get home from school - it'll be a nice touch, as I'll have done ALL of my coursework.

Anyway, great review - but wasn't the annoying phone call system in the older versions?

Goddammit I'll learn to hate them again...
Virgil said:
shirin238 said:
Be proud, they're great games. Just because they've always been targeted to younger players doesn't mean they're not worth playing.
Cpu46 said:
shirin238 said:
Its pokemon, i doubt he would laugh at you. Im in college and im picking up my copy this weekend.
Serris said:
shirin238 said:
ask them to wrap it :D that way, you can imply that it's a gift xD
and if you have a short memory, you're bound to be in for a happy surprise at home when you find your present :p
the stonker said:
shirin238 said:
Say that your buying it for a cousins birthday. :D
Hahaha, thanks for the tips :)
Luckily the sales person was the only guy in the store at the time, and was too busy okaying Just Cause 2 to actually care for what I was buying, so I came out unscathed.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I've very tempted by this, wanted a pokemon game for a long time. Of course, that would mean actually getting a DS, but needs must ;)

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Picked it up a couple of days ago and I have to say, I love it. I was a huge fan of the original Gold and the tweaks that have come from Gens III & IV have given it a good polish.

It is this most expensive game I've ever bought though, at $328 AUD! It did come with a new DSi though so that's ok =)
(I bought the DSi only to play HeartGold)

Aymz.Adversa

Mar 30, 2010
I've loved pokemon since I was about 3 and as its been said - any pokemon past the 2nd generation got a bit too much for the old-school poke fans out there. Admittedly, diamond and pearl were quite fabulous, being the first to have the 3D play but the pokemon were dense and less interesting (but maybe thats because its coming from someone like me who likes the old pokemon line up).

These games do look fantastic, and i'm so miffed right now that I cant find my DS, (since its randomly disappeared for months..erg FAIL). Watching my Boyfriend play it was great, bits of old and new and the remarkable nostalgia which is mentioned in the review. Just thought I'd voice my opinion, I love the Johto pokemon quite a lot too and this game will be bought soon, definately.

Gotta be Soulsilver, box set image is way better >.< (Lugia ftw).

MissAshley

Jul 20, 2009
All I can do is shake my head and chuckle at all the people feeling a little embarrassed to buy a Pokemon game now that they're "older."

When Pokemon Blue came out, I was 17 and a senior in high school. Buying SoulSilver at 28 didn't phase me at all. ;)

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
This game is sooo slow. You walk at a snails pace and to me it just feels like it drags on and on. They really need to add a turbo feature or something or just speed the pace up my God.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i'm kinda glad they re-released it, but i probably won't buy it. nintendo needs to have a pokemon game were we can continue the story from the others with the character we want. like in the next game we start on a boat sailing to the new reigion but b4 we do we connect our previous game saves from the other game and chose which character we played as do we want to be in the new game. then were sailing off starting all over (me is chris from crystal) with one pokemon and my typhlosion and blaziken....

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
i got both but i only play on heartgold cos i got feraligator level 67 and i beat the first 3 gyms

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
i got em both. soulsilver isnt as good as silver but heartgold beats any game i ever played for the DS easily.

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
Hamster at Dawn said:
What is the difference between the two versions? Are they the same except for different pokémon? Which one would you guys recommend I pick up?
heartgold. definately. i thought the same with pearl and diamond so i got both but now i know better. cost me £60 to get em both but with heartgold and soulsilver it was an easy choice. you can get ho-oh on heartgold whereas on soulsilver you can get the almightily crap lugia. hope it helps.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
mr.machoke said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
What is the difference between the two versions? Are they the same except for different pokémon? Which one would you guys recommend I pick up?
heartgold. definately. i thought the same with pearl and diamond so i got both but now i know better. cost me £60 to get em both but with heartgold and soulsilver it was an easy choice. you can get ho-oh on heartgold whereas on soulsilver you can get the almightily crap lugia. hope it helps.
Thanks, I suppose it would make sense for gold to be better than silver.

John Doe123

Apr 8, 2010
If you play pokemon like it is and beat the league and stuff, you will get at least 40 hours of gameplay. If you do EV training and battle tower (look in http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml) you will get at least 200 hours of gameplay. I never tried "catching them all" before though. And no, this is not a cheap remake! There's lots of new features, and they cranked up the difficulty (or at least it seems like to me). Lets see if youngster Joey can beat the elite 4 with his ratata..

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
Since we all know that Pokemon because seven trillion times better when you can thrust your 'mons in other people's faces, try http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Pokemon-Generation-IV out for size!

Let's start a nice little love-in.

Aymz.Adversa

Mar 30, 2010
mr.machoke said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Actually, I have to disagree, Lugia is a lot better than Hooh, and ho-oh at level 70 is completely rubbish on soulsilver and even the sprite of lugia looks more appealing. Soul Silver is the exact same as Heartgold and the only slight differences are the pokemon you may or may not get, but who cares! I trade so this doesnt bother me in the slightest. My lugia..(which unfortunately i havent trained up so much ) is good even when you get it at lv 45 on soulsilver. His attacks are ace;)

Im a massive lugia fan so im DEFINATELY going to counter that reply >.< lol

Heartgold and Soul Silver....no difference, what your saying is a load of bull XD It doesnt matter which you buy. I'd reccomend Silver but thats because im just a lugia fan so yeh.
Nice comment but its not true. They are the same. Justice is served.

maxximuscree

Nov 3, 2010
already have SS and beat it (red is hard!!!) having fun in the pokealton, and now just training my nidoking and lucario to crush all weaklings like joey and his punk ass rattata.