Review: Prince of Persia

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Review: Prince of Persia

The Prince is back and your list of "Must Have" games this holiday season just got a little bit longer.

Read Full Article
 

goestoeleven

New member
Aug 3, 2007
43
0
0
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
 

Alleged_Alec

New member
Sep 2, 2008
796
0
0
Another excellent review, miss Arendt. You've certainly changed my mind about this game. I'm certainly going to buy it as soon as it hits the shelves.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
Wait... the Prince sounds oddly familiar... Is that Nathan Drake I hear?

Anyway this was already on my list of titles to pick up and Miss Arendt's reviews have yet to turn me wrong (Fable 2, LPB).
 

bue519

New member
Oct 3, 2007
913
0
0
Great review, and from the looks of it a pretty good game. This might be one prince of persia that I actually play all the way through, usually I give up halfway.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Hey now, I liked Two Thrones!

This does sound pretty awesome, though. :)
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
goestoeleven said:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.
 

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
1,724
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.
Not only is he Nathan Drake, but he is also Desmond and Altair, I believe.

Anyway, while I understand the annoyance at the accent, I don't think it bothers me as much as it bothers other people because of one simple thing. I usually hear the game in several languages (because of previews and such). As of right now, even though I don't speak it, I've heard a large section of the game in Korean. And believe you-me, it is done without a Persian accent. So, hearing it in English, with American accents, just makes me think "localization for an area=accents not entirely accurate."
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Mstrswrd said:
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.
Not only is he Nathan Drake, but he is also Desmond and Altair, I believe.

Anyway, while I understand the annoyance at the accent, I don't think it bothers me as much as it bothers other people because of one simple thing. I usually hear the game in several languages (because of previews and such). As of right now, even though I don't speak it, I've heard a large section of the game in Korean. And believe you-me, it is done without a Persian accent. So, hearing it in English, with American accents, just makes me think "localization for an area=accents not entirely accurate."
Totally see where you're coming from. It vexes me because SO many of our videogame protagonists are American, British, or Japanese that I find it a bit thrilling when we get one that isn't. For him to then sound utterly American...well, then, heck, why's he Persian in the first place?

That said, it is a very minor complaint. I think the game is simply fantastic, with accents or without. :)
 

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
204
0
0
Titan Quest had "accented" english audio (i.e.: the chinese people had that weird accent, as did the greece) and it was okay, but I think as a chinese I might be offended by that. The dialogue was not or featured heavy grammar mistakes, but I think some might still be offended by it, cause you're throwing around with cheap stereotypes.
 

Lord_Ascendant

New member
Jan 14, 2008
2,909
0
0
I expected a bad review but I instead got a good review. I am going to have to play this game now. Good job Susan.
 

nimrandir

New member
Oct 30, 2008
133
0
0
Is all the game's narrative and character development done through cutscenes, or do we get Sands of Time-style banter during gameplay? The Prince yelling at himself to stop talking to himself is still one of my all-time funniest gaming moments.
 

SomeBritishDude

New member
Nov 1, 2007
5,081
0
0
Thank you Susan, Ive been very worried about this game for awhile. Thanks for putting my fears to rest, I'm getting this game the first chance I get.
 

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
250
0
0
Mstrswrd said:
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.
Not only is he Nathan Drake, but he is also Desmond and Altair, I believe.
Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Altaïr. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.

To Ms. Arendt: thank you for admitting that the "save me" function is the same thing as dying. Hell, you can't die in Assassin's Creed either, you just get desynchronized, but you didn't see them making a big deal out of that.

I've got this preordered, and will be picking it up tomorrow.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
nimrandir said:
Is all the game's narrative and character development done through cutscenes, or do we get Sands of Time-style banter during gameplay? The Prince yelling at himself to stop talking to himself is still one of my all-time funniest gaming moments.
Most of it is delivered through cutscenes, but you can hit the L2 button to talk to Elika just about any time you like, and she'll provide a bit more insight into her past, your surroundings, and suchlike.
 

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
923
0
0
Donkey != Pony. Actually, instead of a new donkey, might I suggest a M.U.L.E.
stompythebeast said:
I have a crush on you, Susan Arendt. There, I said it.
There's a line, and it starts at the pony.
 

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
923
0
0
Shellsh0cker said:
Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Altaïr. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.
It's not a glitch. It's actually happening in the mind of an American, using the American's body image to navigate his DNA, It's not a time machine, it's a "genetic tour". So, it makes perfect sense that the main character would not have a Middle Eastern accent.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.
Well, in the modern world, hearing an Iranian man as a videogame protagonist...some people might not take to it well....
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
I'm presently a bit strapped for cash, and still have my other more pressing "must buys" to get. How is the games replay value? I don't expect you to have played it twice, but does it seem like it would have a fair amount, or is it like Assassins Creed again?
 

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
150
0
0
The whole "clean up corrupted areas for the tree of life aspect" really reminds me of Okami for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though...
 

Tonimata

New member
Jul 21, 2008
1,890
0
0
Let's just hope, for the sake of originality and keeping the series running smoothly that this prince doesn't turn emo.
Although not even Ubisoft are that repetitive. They'll probably just making GOTHTASTIC!!!
I've got nothing against goths, just against Ubisoft turning the character into a (Which I remind you was the case with Warrior Within, I'm not implying Goths are s.)
 

Tonimata

New member
Jul 21, 2008
1,890
0
0
Logie--bear said:
The whole "clean up corrupted areas for the tree of life aspect" really reminds me of Okami for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though...
Actually, it reminds me of Twilight Princess
 

Jursa

New member
Oct 11, 2008
924
0
0
I can't wait for Yahtzee to get his claws on this game and knitpick it to oblivion just because it's prince of persia.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Pigeon_Grenade said:
hmmm Well i Suppose falling in this game is better then falling in Mirrors Edge then
Less frustrating, certainly, at least in my opinion. As for replay value, that depends on the kind of player you are. It's not as though the game is going to change between playings - the Prince is who he is, and there's a single correct path through levels - but going through them is such a pleasure that I certainly wouldn't mind retreading the same ground.
 

Alleged_Alec

New member
Sep 2, 2008
796
0
0
Jursa said:
I can't wait for Yahtzee to get his claws on this game and knitpick it to oblivion just because it's prince of persia.
No, he'll nitpick it apart because it isn't the prince of persia of the previous console generation.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.
 

Azzaevil

New member
Jun 26, 2008
61
0
0
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did ***** alot like an emo
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Azzaevil said:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did ***** alot like an emo
He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

Also, basic punctuation is your friend. No, really, it is.
 

Proto Cloud

New member
Jun 25, 2008
145
0
0
goestoeleven said:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.
That's one of the things that bug me. Why didn't they, you know, get an actual middle-eastern voice actor instead of him. He just sounds very out of place in the setting.
 

Azzaevil

New member
Jun 26, 2008
61
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Azzaevil said:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did ***** alot like an emo
He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

Also, basic punctuation is your friend. No, really, it is.

well lest he dident fight like an emo or the game would of been boring watching the prince curl up and cry but , any way who u like better Lara or Prince??
 

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
239
0
0
Azzaevil said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azzaevil said:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did ***** alot like an emo
He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

Also, basic punctuation is your friend. No, really, it is.
well lest he dident fight like an emo or the game would of been boring watching the prince curl up and cry but , any way who u like better Lara or Prince??
Basic Grammar is your lover.
 

Axolotl

New member
Feb 17, 2008
2,401
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.
Would you prefer it if the whole game was done in ancient Persian?
 

Azzaevil

New member
Jun 26, 2008
61
0
0
whats you're point?
stompythebeast said:
Azzaevil said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azzaevil said:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did ***** alot like an emo
He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

Also, basic punctuation is your friend. No, really, it is.
well lest he dident fight like an emo or the game would of been boring watching the prince curl up and cry but , any way who u like better Lara or Prince??
Basic Grammar is your lover.
what is you're point?
 

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
239
0
0
Azzaevil said:
whats you're point?
stompythebeast said:
Azzaevil said:
Susan Arendt said:
Azzaevil said:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did ***** alot like an emo
He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

Also, basic punctuation is your friend. No, really, it is.
well lest he dident fight like an emo or the game would of been boring watching the prince curl up and cry but , any way who u like better Lara or Prince??
Basic Grammar is your lover.
what is you're point?
There you go. She is a nice gal, treat her good.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Or, alternatively, you could treat her well.

Anyway.

Who do I like better, the Prince or Lara...hmmm...wow, that's tough, actually. I have great fondness for both characters, for completely different reasons. I think if I absolutely had to pick one, though, I'd probably go with the Prince.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Was there ever a point where the Tomb raider games where actually good, or were they always just cheap sex appeal?
 

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
2,338
0
0
I think you're getting a raw deal here, Susan. This review still isn't under the "Reviews" section on the main page.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I think you're getting a raw deal here, Susan. This review still isn't under the "Reviews" section on the main page.
Oh, hey, thank you for pointing that out. Not intentional at all, just a simple oversight on my part. Should be fixed now.

And yes, there are several good Tomb Raider games - Tomb Raider Legend, most recently. Many of them made poor Lara into a parody of herself, though, in addition to simply being bad games.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
I always liked Lara Croft in concept...

What's wrong with an english acrobatic female archeologist who wields a pair of pistols and goes on Indiana Jones inspired adventures?

If they'd make her chest size a little more realistic and not such an obvious acrobatic hinderance I'd have no issues with the character whatsoever.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I think you're getting a raw deal here, Susan. This review still isn't under the "Reviews" section on the main page.
Oh, hey, thank you for pointing that out. Not intentional at all, just a simple oversight on my part. Should be fixed now.

And yes, there are several good Tomb Raider games - Tomb Raider Legend, most recently. Many of them made poor Lara into a parody of herself, though, in addition to simply being bad games.
*Looks at copy of Tomb Raider Legend in hands*

Thats it when its good?
 

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
150
0
0
Tonimata said:
Logie--bear said:
The whole "clean up corrupted areas for the tree of life aspect" really reminds me of Okami for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though...
Actually, it reminds me of Twilight Princess
That's funny, Twilight Princess reminded me of Okami too. I also can't remember why... could have been the wolf running around in an odd graphicalstyle with an ANNOYING AS FUCK SIDEKICK.

But I digress...
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
I take it, then, that you didn't enjoy Legend?
It was alright, I guess, I just was slightly biased against it because I got it instead of Hitman: Blood Money. It was enjoyable, but nothing that I'd call exceptional.

Oh, and Susan? You personally might like this
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/03/naughty-dog-uncharted-2-teaser-was-rendered-real-time/
 

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
250
0
0
SaintWaldo said:
Shellsh0cker said:
Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Altaïr. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.
It's not a glitch. It's actually happening in the mind of an American, using the American's body image to navigate his DNA, It's not a time machine, it's a "genetic tour". So, it makes perfect sense that the main character would not have a Middle Eastern accent.
That's actually basically how I thought of it, but I didn't feel like typing that all out. I thought "glitch" was close enough.
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
Axolotl said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.
Would you prefer it if the whole game was done in ancient Persian?
Actually I might. For instance, I found Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a much richer experience with subtitles then when I saw it dubbed.
 

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
239
0
0
Slycne said:
Axolotl said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.
Would you prefer it if the whole game was done in ancient Persian?
Actually I might. For instance, I found Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a much richer experience with subtitles then when I saw it dubbed.
Very true. Any anime fan will tell you that an Anime series can be broken when it is translated and dubbed. Of course there are amazing exceptions, like Samurai Champloo where the voice acting was exceptional. But of course, its all up to the writers in the first place. And yes, a game with authentic accented voices would make a big difference. Like the call of CoD games, if the Russians didn't have an Russian accent, it would just be a poor effort on the Devs part.
 

ampa451

New member
Nov 22, 2008
191
0
0
haha! you referenced Jake. are you sure its the same prince from before?
 

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
7,131
0
0
It sounds good. I understand that there was a bit of worrying over how the game would end up but, it looks like the concern was unfounded.
 

Axolotl

New member
Feb 17, 2008
2,401
0
0
Slycne said:
Actually I might. For instance, I found Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a much richer experience with subtitles then when I saw it dubbed.
I was being sarcastic, fundamentally we run into the problem that nobody who is alive today has any idea what ancient Persian would have sounded like, so using an actor with an American accent is as accurate as any other method.
 

Zippy1313

New member
Mar 26, 2008
169
0
0
I already beat it and I am going to play it again to get all the trophies. Amazing game!
 

John Stalvern

New member
Aug 28, 2008
398
0
0
I didn't think that this game would be on my want list, but I'm very interested now. I'll have to pay a visit to the store this weekend.
 

Ajar

New member
Aug 21, 2006
300
0
0
I didn't think the Prince was emo in The Two Thrones, only Warrior Within. They got the Sands of Time voice actor back for The Two Thrones. I too found the voice acting in the new one a bit jarring, but more for the contrast with the previous Prince's British accent than for contrast with an actual Persian accent.

That was one thing I did find a bit frustrating about Assassin's Creed, though; that game had voice actors with decent accents for everyone except Altaïr, which was really a shame because Altaïr has most of the dialogue.

Anyway, I agree that the new one is awesome. And staggeringly beautiful.
 

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
595
0
0
Agreed, while the visuals are top notch I simply can't see what everyone else is so excited about! Levels...bland, combat...sparse. The Elika character & mechanic work well enough (she's likeable & not as annoying as the Prince himself) but making my way round a large yet dull level, having 3 or 4 scraps with boring enemy's only to knock heads with a slightly less boring enemy so I can make my way round the SAME large yet dull level, collecting 'pretty shiny's'!

SOMEONE tell me it gets better than this?
 

Mrmandude

New member
Aug 29, 2008
22
0
0
I don't know i think yahtze is right about the new prince of persia because in my view this isn't as good as the previous i prefered the prince on his own and with his snooby accent but yhatzee is a cynic so he'll hate it mainly because it's not much like the old one's and whats with this being anime that it's kinda screwy
 

kiaDuplex

New member
Dec 31, 2008
1
0
0
Am i the only that that would give this an avarage rating?

First of yes the graphis are amazing not my perfered style but none the less they do look very impressive.

But and this is a very big but good graphics dont equal a good game.

The Price runs and jumps about very nicely but you have very little control over what he does. There is little to no timing needed 4 anything. Pressing A,B and Y at various intervalls is just about all you need 2do for a large parts. Even if you do miss one of theses and fall to your death the game stops this and u are back on ledge again.

I understand what they are trying todo with not letting you die but this simple removes any penenaly in not making the right decision. There should be a sence of acomplement when u nail that hard jump section and reach the next checkpoint. Its it a bit like playing poker without any money sure its fun at first but there is no heartstoping moment when you bet it all as it just doesnt really matter if you win or lose.

The combat is again a let down maily due to the same reasons. The combos are nice and the cut sences that having you mash the x button are cool at first but when u have to watch the same one 3 or 4 times on the same monster they get a bit tiresome.

The game is simple way to easy. It didnt need a Ninja Gaden 2 style defucultly level but something that offeres a bit of a chalandge would have been nice.
 

antipunt

New member
Jan 3, 2009
3,035
0
0
Nice review miss. I TOTALLY agree with the Persian/American voices bit. It seriously does sound like post-college Americans from the East Coast, or something along those lines...they would've benefited with a different approach

My only disagreement here is the combat. I actually found the combat rather UNsatisfying. I kept cornering the monsters as a 'cheap kill', or letting them corner me, then switching places (but letting them HIT me ironically), and THEN kicking them off the ledge.

The bosses weren't much better. Block/parry/hit/block/parry/hit, repeat,etc.

I wish they stuck with emo-prince's battle system. I mean, wouldn't you agree that Warrior Within had the WAY superior combat engine? The one on one idea was an epic fail IMO