Review: Prince of Persia

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Prince of Persia

The Prince is back and your list of "Must Have" games this holiday season just got a little bit longer.

Read Full Article

goestoeleven

Aug 3, 2007
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Another excellent review, miss Arendt. You've certainly changed my mind about this game. I'm certainly going to buy it as soon as it hits the shelves.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Wait... the Prince sounds oddly familiar... Is that Nathan Drake I hear?

Anyway this was already on my list of titles to pick up and Miss Arendt's reviews have yet to turn me wrong (Fable 2, LPB).

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Great review, and from the looks of it a pretty good game. This might be one prince of persia that I actually play all the way through, usually I give up halfway.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hey now, I liked Two Thrones!

This does sound pretty awesome, though. :)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
goestoeleven said:

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:

By the way:

Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.
Not only is he Nathan Drake, but he is also Desmond and Altair, I believe.

Anyway, while I understand the annoyance at the accent, I don't think it bothers me as much as it bothers other people because of one simple thing. I usually hear the game in several languages (because of previews and such). As of right now, even though I don't speak it, I've heard a large section of the game in Korean. And believe you-me, it is done without a Persian accent. So, hearing it in English, with American accents, just makes me think "localization for an area=accents not entirely accurate."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mstrswrd said:
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:

By the way:

Anyway, while I understand the annoyance at the accent, I don't think it bothers me as much as it bothers other people because of one simple thing. I usually hear the game in several languages (because of previews and such). As of right now, even though I don't speak it, I've heard a large section of the game in Korean. And believe you-me, it is done without a Persian accent. So, hearing it in English, with American accents, just makes me think "localization for an area=accents not entirely accurate."
Totally see where you're coming from. It vexes me because SO many of our videogame protagonists are American, British, or Japanese that I find it a bit thrilling when we get one that isn't. For him to then sound utterly American...well, then, heck, why's he Persian in the first place?

That said, it is a very minor complaint. I think the game is simply fantastic, with accents or without. :)

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Titan Quest had "accented" english audio (i.e.: the chinese people had that weird accent, as did the greece) and it was okay, but I think as a chinese I might be offended by that. The dialogue was not or featured heavy grammar mistakes, but I think some might still be offended by it, cause you're throwing around with cheap stereotypes.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
I expected a bad review but I instead got a good review. I am going to have to play this game now. Good job Susan.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Is all the game's narrative and character development done through cutscenes, or do we get Sands of Time-style banter during gameplay? The Prince yelling at himself to stop talking to himself is still one of my all-time funniest gaming moments.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Thank you Susan, Ive been very worried about this game for awhile. Thanks for putting my fears to rest, I'm getting this game the first chance I get.

Shellsh0cker

Defender of the English Language
Oct 22, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
Susan Arendt said:
goestoeleven said:

By the way:

Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Altaïr. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.

To Ms. Arendt: thank you for admitting that the "save me" function is the same thing as dying. Hell, you can't die in Assassin's Creed either, you just get desynchronized, but you didn't see them making a big deal out of that.

I've got this preordered, and will be picking it up tomorrow.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
nimrandir said:
Is all the game's narrative and character development done through cutscenes, or do we get Sands of Time-style banter during gameplay? The Prince yelling at himself to stop talking to himself is still one of my all-time funniest gaming moments.
Most of it is delivered through cutscenes, but you can hit the L2 button to talk to Elika just about any time you like, and she'll provide a bit more insight into her past, your surroundings, and suchlike.