Review: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

Both Professor Layton and his new game are brilliant, but only one looks good in a top hat.

Read Full Article

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
My mom loves this series, so I will inevitably play this at some point. Glad to hear it's the best entry.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Cool, another Layton game thats flown right over my head. I shall have to go and hunt for this one now. The previous games really are great, got so involved in Pandoras Box one time that I missed my stop on the train by 4 stations.

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
Ah, great! I have never played any of the Layton games, and I was thinking of picking one up... Now I definitely will next time I go to my local game shop!

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
The best of the series? I'll definitely pick this up. It might motivate me enough to finally find my DS charger...

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I think the 2nd installment has been best. This one here has a story with quite a few cheese holes in it which is not Layton typical. Furthermore a larger percentage of the puzzles are broken compared to the previous title. What means broken? More than one solution possible causing you to loose points as well as failing to clearly state the rules. At various places you had to try out like 20 or 30 solutions just to figure out while stumbling across the right one that they failed to properly formulate the rules. In one puzzle for example they tell you to un-mark the incorrect solutions (hence mark all valid ones) but after a lot of trying you figure out that they actually wanted you to "mark" the incorrect solutions instead. Due to this and other problems I'd give it a 4-star only. It's good but compared to the preceding installment it has a broken and in parts lacking story and a bit too many broken puzzles.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
My wife and I love these games to death, but I still think Penny Arcade said it best:

(Warning, As per Penny Arcade, the language may be NSFW)

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/2/13/

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Yeah it really is the only series we are still playing on the DS but I have heard good things about Dragon Quest 9. Seeing as I am just now finally getting around to beating 8 on the PS2 I have not been in a rush. hehe.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
As always it delivers what to expect! WHich ius great and what we want!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Loved the first, quickly got bored with the second. But this does sound like the best of a lot, I'll have to grab it some time.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I do love this game, even if the logic in the lateral thinking puzzles is completely whack. Why exactly do you hate carrying the type of glass that stacks *well*?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Why is the second one called the diobolical box in America, over here its called Pandoras box and it makes more sence, its like how they called harry potter and the philosophers stone, harry potter and the sorccerors stone!

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I have only just started playing curious village, looks like a won't be short on puzzles any time soon ^^

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Great review, but I disagree on the story. I found the story to be one of the best stories in video games and more than just an excuse to do a bunch of puzzles. And I still stand by my claim of the Curious Village being the best one in the series, though this one was absolutely fantastic.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Just finished the game. My 2 cents...

Puzzle variety is pretty good, even if some of them are unclear or a little to clever for their own good. I'm willing to overlook it because the only way to completely avoid is to have less variety.

As for plot/story. The characters are pretty well done. Voice acting is good and so is the written dialogue. On the other hand the ending has some holes. But so did the ending of the last game. (And the game before that :p)

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
What?! WHEN DID THIS COME OUT?!

Oh and I'm just asking for one itty bitty little spoiler...
Don Paolo... You know that time in the Diabolical Box? ...Is his disguise... realistic this time?