Review: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
The Future of What?

(ten million points to anyone who gets the reference there)

I should probably check these Professor Layton games out. They keep getting good reviews, and it sounds like something my kid might like as well.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The puzzles can be a bit vague at times - I spent a few hint coins just trying to get a better idea of what I was supposed to be doing - and of course the plot is loads of fun. It's a no-lose proposition, this game. :)

standokan

May 28, 2009
I am playing this game right now and it IS awesome but i miss the creapy ghost town exploring from the first two in stead of taking down the big boss, who is obviously #@%!$#&*^%* and i still think the curious village is the best.

And with the first two in the back of my mind i'm still trying theories on how they actually aren't in the future and it al makes sense somehow, like in the first two, but it seems more and more like it that they are actually in the future.

Folsense

Oct 26, 2009
As any true gentleman or lady can tell by my name, I'm a big fan of the Layton games. And if you can't Folsense is the name of the town in the second game (it's also a cool name).

But yeah, I'm super excited for this and hope to start playing in the very near future. And great review Susan

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
I loved this one, the story rocked, and it made me cry at the end.

I would like to say that Layton is a pretty terrible guardian mostly because he seems to try to ditch Flora at all costs, doesn't mean I love him any less, but I mean really, just leaving her unsupervised at the time is probably a little more dangerous than taking her with you.

Did anyone get psyched out when watching the solving animations for Future Luke and Flora? More so Future Luke because he frowns before his victory pose.

masqueblanc

May 24, 2010
I've been curious about this series for a while but I hadn't seen a review of any of them 'til now and the adverts tend to give very little idea of the story/plot (or even any clue that there IS a story)... Now I suspect I shall have to get one of the games. Thanks for the helpful review! :D

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
I enjoyed the story of Unwound Future best of all. A bit incredible at times, yes, but in a fun way and still less ridiculous than Diabolical Box.

I recently recommended Curious Village to a friend who just bought a DS. A few days later he said he disliked how he couldn't skip cutscenes and dialogue and how many puzzles didn't seem to have anything to do with the story. I thought he was nutty at first, but I realized he was at least a little right about how the story and puzzles can clash against each other sometimes (I'm in an animated cutscene! Now I'm in plain text! Now I'm pondering street trash while fleeing an armed mob!). I certainly don't consider it a dealbreaker in buying or enjoying the games, but the better Level-5 gets with blending plot and puzzles (and I do believe they've gotten better), the more outstanding the games should be.