Review: Prototype

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

Prototype is the perfect antidote for your summer doldrums.

Read Full Article

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
So.. Should I buy or rent it? D:

There would be no question about buying this game for me, if not for the fights being nothing but clusterfucks, from what I've heard and seen.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
I'm going to buy this game as soon as I have money. But I'm not sure which platform.

It's interesting to see such a high-praise review for the 360 version of this game; it has so far been considered to be the lesser of the three. If it's still good, I'll probably buy it for that then.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
It's the same gameplay wise, it's just apparently the graphics aren't quite as shiny and there is distance fog.

The movement looks fun. That's partly why I really want it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Rent it.

Developers are not going to release any patch or DLC in the future. Ever. Only Prototype 2.

Sure the game is fun, but for $60... it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

Thank God I had a cousin with the game before I decided to buy it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Hmm, I'm still not sure about Prototype. The main character annoys me for some reason.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Psychosocial said:

There would be no question about buying this game for me, if not for the fights being nothing but clusterfucks, from what I've heard and seen.
It depends. Did you like Hulk UD? If so, buy this. If not, rent it.

I was a big fan of Hulk UD so I bought this as soon as I could. It's a winner in the parts that really matter: it has a lot of different types of side activities scattered through the city and just running around can be entertaining enough as there's no shortage of enemies and bystanders. On the other hand the bystanders can look pretty silly sometimes when they run around in their parades (though these are the most fun to run through/over), the map itself is pretty small with the landmarks all mixed up and half there (like Bryant Park without the Library), and the neighborhoods are all on top of each other but if you've never been to NYC, you probably wont even notice.

And for the record, the clusterfucks are fun especially when you can kill all of them at once.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Serious question in reference to Alex Mercer, Warning huge plot spoilers:
So I've noticed that almost every review both professional and not refers to the main character as Alex Mercer, and he is often described as an amnesiac and an evil/anti hero. I understand that for reviews that are meant to be spoiler free this is ok, but in reviews that have spoilers no one mentions that Alex Mercer is dead and you're really Blacklight, a virus that Alex took as insurance when he tried to take down Gentek. And in a desperate attempt Alex threw the virus to the ground condemning the city/world as he was gunned down by plain clothes assasins, but in a twist of events Blacklight absorbed Alex in the same manner as the game lets you absorb other people throughout the game. Because of this it really isn't an amnesiac, it doesn't have the memories in the first place beyond its creation. And it is a bit hard to bring up morality in terms of something that really isn't human, do I say a virus that kills people is evil? I really don't think so.
Why do I bring this up? From the web of intrigues Alex Mercer was a douche. He was a selfish jerk who didn't think of anyone but himself and tried to take down humanity with himself (hell even Blacklight says at one point that Mercer committed an unforgivable act. Hell the virus cared more to save his sister than the real guy, Alex Mercer didn't give a rat's ass about his sister considering he didn't see her for years even though they were in the same city. In the end Blacklight does actually do some actions that can be seen as "good", and recognizes that him ending a lot of lives probably wasn't the best thing he could have done. Thus I think that the distinction should be made, it reminds me of the whole Frankenstein and "the creature" problem. Every one refers to the creature as Frankenstein when they are in fact two separate individuals, and in both cases the creatures are very flexible in terms of their morality.
Anyways /endrant.

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
Now I've never played either game, but when I look at them Infamous and Prototype seem to have more than a few similarities. Both are open world superhero games featuring a loner antihero- though the tone of prototype seems much darker.

I just thought it was interesting that the review didnt mention this- or maybe they arent that similar. As I said, I havent played either.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Doug said:
Hmm, I'm still not sure about Prototype. The main character annoys me for some reason.
You're not supposed to like him. In fact, you're meant to hate him. There was a specific design for him, I mean, how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?

roboosh

May 8, 2008
great game. The only reason you couldn't like it is because it's not to your taste. insta-classic.

p.s. when i say "you" i really mean "one" but I don't wanna sound posh

Partyjerk

Jun 6, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Doug said:
how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?
hmmm, i liked AC ( hoodie guy), and didnt like The witcher (amneasic guy), it merges sinfully together, like minus, multiplied with a plus, is still minus :D

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

Developers are not going to release any patch or DLC in the future. Ever. Only Prototype 2.
Sources?
Activision forum.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2758

Outrage after finding out there will be no further content or anything with the game.

And here a dude that got a PM answer from one of the devs.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2748

How nice of them, they'll keep giving assets (stock shares or what?), videos (of the game we already have), news (none), artwork (woop-dee-doo, worth $50?) and more videos. How great, at least if they don't give us CONTENT we won't overload from fun. Because they really value the community. $50 a head.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I can't say I'm interested in this game at all myself. While it looks fun in the strictest sense, it just looks far too derivative. It's pretty much just: "blah, blah, parkour, blah, blah, sandbox which happens to not really have that much freedom, blah, blah, some sort of mystical powers."

In other words, it's just another copycat third-person game with very little originality. It's not a genre I'm interested in, and I'm starting to loathe the mention of titles like Prototype and inFamous. I wasn't a big fan of these games before, and I'm even less of a fan now. It's like FPS games set in World War II: It's been done to death. Destroy that shambling corpse of a genre; I've seen all of this sort of thing before, and I'm not interested.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I'd recomend this in a heart beat. It's one of the best games iv'e played this year and is tremendous amounts of fun.

But there is one thing about the story telling, although I like how they've done it with the web of intrigue, half-way through the missions I can't help but feel as though it's a bit off, that the producers cut a chunk out of the plot in hindsight and are saving it for some form of sequel.

Regardless of this, the plot can be really immersive once you get into it.

And slicing/clubbing/shooting/blowing people up is just one of the best forms of entertainment. Got to give them props for all the varying different ways to kill people.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
You're not supposed to like him. In fact, you're meant to hate him. There was a specific design for him, I mean, how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?
Because alot of people on the internet seem to love the dark/evil brooding sort. But anyway...so, why should I want to control said amnesiac-hoodie-fleshvampire?

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
Buy the game if your like me. And by like me, I mean you could have fun tying a string to a tennis ball and swinging it around. Sure it gets repetitive, but its fun as hell. It has a slightly-stupid spiderman feel to it, as the mechanics for getting around will never be as great as web slinging, but are still fun. If your ok with really exploring the game, buy it. if your more of a story person, rent it. Either way, don't but the Bulletoive Dive, get the massively over powered thing where you divebomb with your blade out, and remember to get the upgrade so you can use whipfist.to hijack and consume anything that even slightly reminds you that your not playing spiderman,

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
Doug said:
Doug said:
Because alot of people on the internet seem to love the dark/evil brooding sort. But anyway...so, why should I want to control said amnesiac-hoodie-fleshvampire?

I find the best way is to imagine him as a slightly less annoying Peter Parker.

pedrakhan

Sep 10, 2008
played it..had fun with it....finished it
played it again ...got bored of being gang raped by all the missiles and heli's

and for those 6 hours its not worth ur ?60
theres no replay...only one way to go....and that way is hammerd to dead on ur first playtrough.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Psychosocial said:

Ummmm.... the battles being cluster fucks is one of the many reason you should buy this game, because having your own personal mini war with the marines or infected is something you'll enjoy for long time.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

What ever happened to the days where we could enjoy games without the prospect of there being additional things added in the future?

I miss those days...

Anyways, excellent review as always, Susan. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm going to have to convice my friend to rent it and bring it over my place :D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Psychosocial said:

The fights can be extremely fucking frustrating when you have four helicopters, six hunters, and bunch of other problems to deal with, but I would definitely suggest buying it.

It's fun. It pretty much lacks tedium of any kind, but it makes up for that with a bit of frustration thrown in here and there, but overall, very enjoyable.
Doug said:
He has an alright dress sense, hood excluded.
I was kind of disappointed that he never really had anything witty to say, though.
Then I realized I should enjoy that - it means I don't have to listen to the same six lines over and over again.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Macar said:
Now I've never played either game, but when I look at them Infamous and Prototype seem to have more than a few similarities. Both are open world superhero games featuring a loner antihero- though the tone of prototype seems much darker.

I just thought it was interesting that the review didnt mention this- or maybe they arent that similar. As I said, I havent played either.
Well, they are and arent. Yes there both about the origins of two super powered dudes both trapped in a large city due to military quarantine, but in Prototype, the main character seems to be alot more powerful, have a longer aray of powers, and can run up ways and jump really high.

I recommend both, as both make good on making you feel powerful and awesome.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Multi-Kill said:
Spinwhiz said:
Great review Susan. Looks like a great time.
Whats a brand manager?
I handle all of the marketing, pr, events and contests in regards to the maintaining and increasing of brand equity for The Escapist and WarCry.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

What ever happened to the days where we could enjoy games without the prospect of there being additional things added in the future?

I miss those days...

Anyways, excellent review as always, Susan. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm going to have to convice my friend to rent it and bring it over my place :D
Yes, I totally agree. I don't know whats up with this new style of making a game then coming out with DLC for it. To me it seems like a sad way of making a game longer and more interesting.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Spinwhiz said:
Multi-Kill said:
Spinwhiz said:
Great review Susan. Looks like a great time.
Whats a brand manager?
I handle all of the marketing, pr, events and contests in regards to the maintaining and increasing of brand equity for The Escapist and WarCry.
So, I'm guessing your overworked and under-payed then right?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Nice to see the developers have added slightly refreshing elements to the 'superhero-sandbox' genre. I mean, consuming and stealing the identity of a soldier (in mid-air) is cool...

Thanks for the review!

TruthMan

May 20, 2009
i got this as soon as it came out and payed the full 60 and honestly im not disappointed. no its not final fantasy game or metal gear with an amazing story it a game i pick up and have fun with no matter what and ill be playing this forever maybe not as much as i am now but in a year i know ill just get the urge dive out of one heli just to dive on another then whip to another and hijack it

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

I think it was before you could finish a game in 10 hours and multiplayer/modding was available.

Shibito091192 said:
Nice to see the developers have added slightly refreshing elements to the 'superhero-sandbox' genre. I mean, consuming and stealing the identity of a soldier (in mid-air) is cool...

Thanks for the review!
Sorry, can't consume mid-air. You can disguise into another person if you had already consumed them, but no consuming while jumping.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Curtmiester said:
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

Yes, I totally agree. I don't know whats up with this new style of making a game then coming out with DLC for it. To me it seems like a sad way of making a game longer and more interesting.
That's not entirely what I meant. I absoulely love Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles for Oblivion. In that case, and in others, it works, though there are certain times where it is just a sad attempt at making a bit more money.

My problem is that, although I can understand people being angered over the possibility of no updates or DLC for a multiplayer game in order to keep it fresh (like the whole L4D2 fiasco), people sometimes refuse to buy single player games because there won't be any DLC. Why not? Some games should be taken as is and adding something can potentially (and ironically)detract from the final product. Some games do not need DLC, and from the looks of things, Prototype is one of them. It's a game where the fun lies in sandboxing and blowing shit up. Hell, it's why I enjoy GTA 4 so much (just an example, I know there was DLC for it). I don't like the story. I play it because it's hilarious to go joyriding and blow cars up. Minus the sandboxing, it's also why I loved Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. You can fling Jawas into the fucking atmosphere! IT'S HILARIOUS!

I just have a huge issue with the fact that the gaming community has gotten so picky these days. They beg "give us something new" and when it comes they call it crap, say "you did this wrong", or beg for the developers to tweak it or give them additional content (which can be hard for an original concept), and that's why there are so many cloned games out there. It's because of the consumers. They want more than the developers can give, and when they give them what they want, they decide they want even more. (Not that Prototype is original, mind you... it's just a major problem I've had).

Anyways, rant over. I know my words won't exactly mean much to anyone, but I had to say it.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Abedeus said:
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

I think it was before you could finish a game in 10 hours and multiplayer/modding was available.

Shibito091192 said:

Thanks for the review!
Sorry, can't consume mid-air. You can disguise into another person if you had already consumed them, but no consuming while jumping.
I think you've taken after Kenpachi's rage a little to much...(ironic coming from me)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Abedeus said:
ZeroMachine said:
What about Portal? That game is great as is. Yes, there are many mods and community made maps, but none equal the original content. I don't even play any of them, as I haven't found any that I enjoy even close to as much.

I'm sure it's not what you meant, but it sounds like you haven't ever enjoyed a game that you can beat in a short amount of time. Quality, not quantity, is the most important thing in a game.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Curtmiester said:
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

That's not entirely what I meant. I absoulely love Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles for Oblivion. In that case, and in others, it works, though there are certain times where it is just a sad attempt at making a bit more money.

My problem is that, although I can understand people being angered over the possibility of no updates or DLC for a multiplayer game in order to keep it fresh (like the whole L4D2 fiasco), people sometimes refuse to buy single player games because there won't be any DLC. Why not? Some games should be taken as is and adding something can potentially (and ironically)detract from the final product. Some games do not need DLC, and from the looks of things, Prototype is one of them. It's a game where the fun lies in sandboxing and blowing shit up. Hell, it's why I enjoy GTA 4 so much (just an example, I know there was DLC for it). I don't like the story. I play it because it's hilarious to go joyriding and blow cars up. Minus the sandboxing, it's also why I loved Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. You can fling Jawas into the fucking atmosphere! IT'S HILARIOUS!

I just have a huge issue with the fact that the gaming community has gotten so picky these days. They beg "give us something new" and when it comes they call it crap, say "you did this wrong", or beg for the developers to tweak it or give them additional content (which can be hard for an original concept), and that's why there are so many cloned games out there. It's because of the consumers. They want more than the developers can give, and when they give them what they want, they decide they want even more. (Not that Prototype is original, mind you... it's just a major problem I've had).

Anyways, rant over. I know my words won't exactly mean much to anyone, but I had to say it.
O sorry, I believe that I worded myself wrong there. You see I meant to say something like I like DLC but I'm pissed off at how much people want more of it even though companies are having a hard time making it. I bet its hard to release DLC that doesn't change gameplay so much that it messes up the game in someway. To me it seems like if your going to release a game now-a-days you better have some DLC up your sleave.

Arcyde

Nov 16, 2008
I will be buying it, but I have to wait because I already bought InFamous and Red Faction: Guerrilla.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Macar said:

They are a lot more different than one might think. In Prototype, you basically spend the entire game killing civilians, and just wreaking havoc. You don't care who or what gets in your way, and there are little if any moral choices. InFamous is all about moral choice, precision, and civilians. You aren't quite as powerful, and if you are going to be good, you don't kill civilians (in fact, you help them) and you attack with much more precision.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
ZeroMachine said:
What about Portal? That game is great as is. Yes, there are many mods and community made maps, but none equal the original content. I don't even play any of them, as I haven't found any that I enjoy even close to as much.

I'm sure it's not what you meant, but it sounds like you haven't ever enjoyed a game that you can beat in a short amount of time. Quality, not quantity, is the most important thing in a game.
Yeah, and every single review complains that the game is too short. But it didn't cost $50. And you have content and you have mods and more maps.

I am enjoying the game, quite a lot. But one thing I can't stand is when developers make a dick move. You know, releasing a sequel too fast, no support EVER to a game (you do know this means that if you have a problem with the game - framerate, sound issues, ANYTHING - you won't get a fix), or something done not on purpose - Blizzard announcing 1.13 patch to Diablo 2 two months ago, essentially killing what was left of the game's community, as everyone's fed up waiting for a patch that was supposed to be released by the end of April.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Uh... Maybe it's just because Prototype, as a whole, is the action game of my dreams - I'm serious, every single feature and concept in the game is something I've wanted for a long time - but by the time I'd gone through the story missions, I'd spent so much time deviating, playing around, doing side missions, and getting into pointless, unending, three-way battles outside hives for no reason, that I was nearing 20 hours playtime. I just really like that game, to an unreasonable degree.

And I still haven't found my last bloody Web target! I've ran up and down the damn island so many times, and broken into so many military bases, I've lost count. Fucker's invisible.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Great review, I loved this game. The gameplay was fresh, most of the combat was fun, except when you have the whole military and infected forces on your ass. The boss fights were grind-tastic, but there were so few of them I didn't care.

The story, while nicely told through the Web, was very confusing. I didn't know if

Cross was Greene's son or not, I had to look up that it was really the Supreme Hunter that consumed him at the end.

But it reminded me heavily of Spider-Man 2, swinging through the New York heights and looking down on the little ants called people. It's an amalgamation of Saints Row 2, with huge fun things to do (In a more gory way) and Crackdown with having a huge array of super-powers.

Alex is a pretty cool character too, though I wonder why he has to end every cutscene with a stupid cut-away.

Aside from some minor complaints (Viral detectors, bosses, unlikeable side characters) it was really fun and I say you should try it. Rent though, as I blazed through it with gold on most events in a day or so.

laryri

May 19, 2008
Rednog said:
So I've noticed that almost every review both professional and not refers to the main character as Alex Mercer, and he is often described as an amnesiac and an evil/anti hero. I understand that for reviews that are meant to be spoiler free this is ok, but in reviews that have spoilers no one mentions that Alex Mercer is dead and you're really Blacklight, a virus that Alex took as insurance when he tried to take down Gentek. And in a desperate attempt Alex threw the virus to the ground condemning the city/world as he was gunned down by plain clothes assasins, but in a twist of events Blacklight absorbed Alex in the same manner as the game lets you absorb other people throughout the game. Because of this it really isn't an amnesiac, it doesn't have the memories in the first place beyond its creation. And it is a bit hard to bring up morality in terms of something that really isn't human, do I say a virus that kills people is evil? I really don't think so.
Why do I bring this up? From the web of intrigues Alex Mercer was a douche. He was a selfish jerk who didn't think of anyone but himself and tried to take down humanity with himself (hell even Blacklight says at one point that Mercer committed an unforgivable act. Hell the virus cared more to save his sister than the real guy, Alex Mercer didn't give a rat's ass about his sister considering he didn't see her for years even though they were in the same city. In the end Blacklight does actually do some actions that can be seen as "good", and recognizes that him ending a lot of lives probably wasn't the best thing he could have done. Thus I think that the distinction should be made, it reminds me of the whole Frankenstein and "the creature" problem. Every one refers to the creature as Frankenstein when they are in fact two separate individuals, and in both cases the creatures are very flexible in terms of their morality.
Anyways /endrant.
Because that was a plot twist.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I would like to add, DO NOT buy the PC version, it loves high end systems, but budget systems, forget it!

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
I would like to add, DO NOT buy the PC version, it loves high end systems, but budget systems, forget it!
I guess they have to add some fuckups to make sure people pay the 70€ for the console versions instead of the 50 for the PC one...

Overall Prototype seems like pricedrop material for me. I'm also interested in Red Faction and might get it if it drops to 50€ (if I still remember I was interested by then). Then again EVERY 360 game looks like pricedrop material to me because it's got to be really fucking amazing if it wants to justify the 70€ pricetag and thus far no game has managed to justify it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
laryri said:
Rednog said:
Anyways /endrant.
Because that was a plot twist.
I know it was the plot twist but, like I mentioned, there are reviews who are filled with spoilers that still refer to him in a way that the twist never happened. And other things like Infamous and Prototype comparisons on "morality" of the characters, but for reasons mentioned it shouldn't apply.
I'm somewhat interested in what happens to the main character in the future (most likely another game) and really just don't want a Frankenstein thing (again mentioned above, trying not to be a spoiler) to happen to the main character.

sirdanrhodes said:
Really? I built my own system for $550ish (after rebates) and it runs and high pretty well, the only issues I ever had were on those ridiculously long cut scenes that load as it jumps from area to area, and on one event where I managed to piss off the whole city and had like 10+ helicopters on me.

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
Its plot is the same old government conspiracy song and dance you've seen a thousand times, and it trades significant character development in exchange for exotic ways to sow death and destruction. In other words, it's an absolutely perfect game for summer.
I don't follow that logic.

Why must summer games be unoriginal and have an under-developed protagonist?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I saw this came out on PC.

I swear some deranged crazy person is gonna make a mod that changes the character's arm into some deforemd penis club thing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Epifols said:
Its plot is the same old government conspiracy song and dance you've seen a thousand times, and it trades significant character development in exchange for exotic ways to sow death and destruction. In other words, it's an absolutely perfect game for summer.
I don't follow that logic.

Why must summer games be unoriginal and have an under-developed protagonist?
They don't have to, of course, but many folks enjoy lighter fare during the summer months. Maybe it's because it's their chance to relax from the rigors of school, or maybe the hot weather simply makes their attention spans shorter. Summer tends to bring out the dumb in people, and thus we have a bunch of movies that go "boom!" at the cineplex and games like Prototype. (Which is just a game that goes "boom!") :)

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Doug said:
Because he's a dick. Not "even a nobody loved me when I was young" dick, he truly has no damn soul whatsoever, and thus makes him rather hard to connect with. Also, why is he so pissed HE HAS SUPER POWERS. Sure they didn't ask him first but whatever no on has to ask to give me tons of money, they can just go ahead.

(granted I haven't played the game only watched my friends play it for a little bit but I think I got the gist).

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Great review, lucky it wasn;t the pc version or you'd have more than a simple "Cant run straight" bug. Random freezing, orange screen, black screen, grey screen, instal problems, launching problems, hardware problems. Just off the top of my head.. Thankfully i only had the random freeze one which had a *really* wierd way around. Defragged the folder itself then when it freezes, ctrlaltdel, then cancel it and back to game play.

Sucks that it doesnt have a windowed mode =(

ORLOFT

Apr 29, 2009
I don't know about anyone else, but I play games because they are fun. This game is fun... really fun. Yea it doesn't bring anything totally original to the table, accept that you are a fucking superpowerful shape shifter. I think it's the only shape shifter game I've ever played, and as far as power fantasies go, I've never felt so powerful. Sure it's not going to be for everyone, specifically not for people that like to take something that is fun and pick it apart. Come on people! Stop being so damn critical of everything and enjoy yourselves for a moment! :D

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
jasoncyrus said:
Great review, lucky it wasn;t the pc version or you'd have more than a simple "Cant run straight" bug. Random freezing, orange screen, black screen, grey screen, instal problems, launching problems, hardware problems. Just off the top of my head.. Thankfully i only had the random freeze one which had a *really* wierd way around. Defragged the folder itself then when it freezes, ctrlaltdel, then cancel it and back to game play.

Okay so I'll REALLY stay away from the PC version.

It does sound nice though not like a game I'd be happy paying 70€* for. On the other hand it apparently got a rating refused (makes me wonder why the console versions did get released here considering every other game that got a rating refused got blocked) so I'm not sure how long it'll remain available. Damn those high prices, they make buying anything that isn't a GOTY contender a bad idea! I wish companies would realize when they've got a B list game at their hands and price them accordingly.

*= Why the hell are HD games 70€ anyway? The US price hike was 50$->60$, Euros are worth a lot more than US dollars so why did we get a price hike from the already too high prices (regular price was 60€ last gen, that's almost 85$!) to even higher ones? It's really ridiculous especially considering PC games remained at 50€ the whole time (with almost all 360 games having PC versions which don't require paying for online) and Wii games went down to 50€ too (GC games were 60€).

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Great review and my thoughts exactly, i just kinda hope Activision will release DLC of a mission editor so we can actually make varied missions but meh tis a very fun game.

Was a great stress relief for after my exams.

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
Penny Arcade today offers some advice on if you should buy it.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/19/

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
i was playing this at my friends house... i fluffed it up, but then he took the wheel and subsequently killed 20 soldiers, hijacked a helicopter and destroyed a hive. and it looked freakin' awesome.

roboosh

May 8, 2008
Rednog said:
Anyways /endrant.
I think
alex does have memories before he was taken over, for two reasons:
1. When he absorbs people he accesses their memories, surely it worked that way when he was consumed by the virus.
2. Some things trigger memories for him, e.g. old photos.
Also, there must be a bit of him in there, as a virus would not destroy its own kind etc.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Damn kids these days! Back in the ol' six four days, we'd get a stale lump of a cartridge and blow droll into it fifteen times until it connected, and we'd be damn happy about it! Now get off my lawn!

(It turns out I do the cranky old man much more often than it should be healthy here on the Escapist forums.)

pantsoffdanceoff said:
Also, why is he so pissed HE HAS SUPER POWERS. Sure they didn't ask him first but whatever no on has to ask to give me tons of money, they can just go ahead.
Poor Alex, who's cursed with awesome [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.CursedWithAwesome]. Feel his pain, man.

FLegmA

Jun 20, 2009
This game is i think overrated i played it today it's not so GREAT i had more fun playing infamous andi think it's very unoriginal,it's like GTA 4,assassins creed,crackdown and some game with zombies all put together...

johnsom

May 28, 2009
This game is a Giant snooze fest in my eyes. I enjoyed the first hour or so then I became plain to see that it is just a beat um up. You can beat this game if you know the difference between the left and right mouse button. Many have compared it to spiderman. I can see how they would, but there is no web slinging and that is the thing that made spiderman so great. The feeling of freedom is there you can go anywhere but you find your self cursing the game after the 15th time you've crossed the city to get your next mission. Also, The control system is unresponsive at best on pc and down right restricting at its worst. It also breaks the cardinal rule imho for these types of games(free roaming with super human abilities.) The game takes control of your character at every opportunity. You will often be just watching when the real action takes place and this is often. Its also embarrassingly easy with hundreds of people roaming the streets to consume for health. Even at the very height of the outbreak. Oh theres more. Like many beat um ups you can get away with using the same combo you start out with with no real reason to upgrade other then making the game even easier. It also reeks of a obvious console port which it is. Its "quick menu" and very sparse options to tone down the Hdr/bloom, in fact you cant turn it off. The partical effects are over the top and serve more to block your view of the action then add to the realism of the game. Without these the game would look very dated so maybe that is the reason the option wasn't included. By the end of the game the hardest normal enemy fights break down to quicktime events. If you aren't already asleep they might not frustrate you as much as they did me. Quicktime events imo are the laziest form of game design except when they make you stay glued to your screen like RE4 for example, best use of them yet. The Ai is dumb as dirt you can literally glide directly into any military base hit every troop along the way and then land leaving a gigantic crater in the middle of the base and the npcs will only slightly alerted. The boss fights are easy and far from creative. You can beat the entire game including the end boss,or what I assume is the end boss I deleted the game after a 15min fight only to lose to a gimmicky ability it had, with the jump kick and by throwing objects. There are 6 different upgrades to movement and jumping but frankly I couldn't tell the difference without being able to put them side by side. There are 4ish BORING escort missions. Now you might say well that's not that many but when there are only 20-25 missions in the game those 1-2hours you will be escorting really stand out as the low point in the game. I might have lost you somewhere around number 5 of the reasons this game is bad. Just to let you know Iam not the type of person that hates every game he plays I really thought the main character and his powers were awesome. That is nowhere near enough reasons to buy or in my imo play this game. If you absolutely have to play this game rent it.
If you like this game Iam sorry but you have no taste what so ever.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
Macar said:
but when I look at them Infamous and Prototype seem to have more than a few similarities.
Funny you should say this I actually thought this game was infamous. I had forgotten the name of infamous.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
pedrakhan said:
got bored of being gang raped by all the missiles and heli's
Oh I know its like the fictional military in this game suddenly discovered black magic those missles seemed to come out of thin air.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
Just to give you an idea of how easy this game was I played reclined with my keyboard on my lap and the monitor 5 feet away while watching tv at 15fps when I was alone on top of a building(The game is poorly optimized on the pc). Apart from the magic missiles that appear miraculously midway in the game, and even they were more of an anoyance then a danger, nothing and I mean nothing in this game was a challenge.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Operations said:
Let's see: Well, I just bought a game where I can have a helicopter face off against another helicopter in an epic dogfight, HALO drop behind enemy lines and even race tractors. I think that wins the coolness award face-down against your crippled sandbox.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Operations said:
Let's see: Well, I just bought a game where I can have a helicopter face off against another helicopter in an epic dogfight, HALO drop behind enemy lines and even race tractors. I think that wins the coolness award face-down against your crippled sandbox.
If your not being sarcastic that sounds a lot like saints row 2. Except in Saint's row your limited to cheats in being able to survive long falls. From the way Prototype is like, your practically a immortal douche as versus an annoying douche.

[edit]
What is wrong with you kids that you actually believe DLC is right not a want?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SomeUnregPunk said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Operations said:
If your not being sarcastic that sounds a lot like saints row 2. Except in Saint's row your limited to cheats in being able to survive long falls. From the way Prototype is like, your practically a immortal douche as versus an annoying douche.
I'm not being sarcastic at all. [http://www.arma2.com/]

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:
Abedeus said:
Psychosocial said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

Sources?
Activision forum.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2758

Outrage after finding out there will be no further content or anything with the game.

And here a dude that got a PM answer from one of the devs.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2748

How nice of them, they'll keep giving assets (stock shares or what?), videos (of the game we already have), news (none), artwork (woop-dee-doo, worth $50?) and more videos. How great, at least if they don't give us CONTENT we won't overload from fun. Because they really value the community. $50 a head.
Wait, so you and others are pissed and dismissing this game as a purchase because devs aren't releasing additional content? I mean, Assassin's Creed had no additional content to my knowledge, but people bought it happily. Neither did Unchartered, Oblivion (at least not on PS3, no DLC that got released on Australia), MGS4, God of War - the list goes on. Is DLC all that matters to you people now? SO much so that you'll dismiss a game if it has to be based on its own, stand-alone merits?
What? Oblivion had few releases, THOUSANDS OF HUNDREDS mods, Assassin's Creed was huge and DID get a patch, MGS4 was (from what I've heard) along with GoW pretty big too.

You know what also means no support? NO PATCHES. Read my other post. You have a stuttering mouse problems? NO PATCH FOR YOU. Resolution problem? NO PATCH. Laggy framework on a nice PC? NO PATCH SUCKER, WE ENJOY YOUR $50 NOW, BYE BYE.
That second thread indicates that there will be no DLC - now, I posit that there is a vast difference between patches, mods and DLC. Mods are fan created, which do not count in your argument, and which the dev said they are looking forward to seeing - thus indicating that there will be an encouragement of fan modding. The dev's PM indicated no DLC, which is not equal to no patches. Perhaps you aught to get your terminology right there before you pull on your big boy boots.

God, young gamers are such a bunch of whining, unsatisfied rejects sometimes.
I've been playing since 1996. That's not young, as you might call Diablo 1 young. So shut up if you are misinformed and ignorant.
Ah ha ha! Bless your little cotton socks. Diablo? Young? Diablo was released in 1996, kid. That might be 'old' to sprites like yourself but it's really, really not. Oh dear, you gave me a chuckle.

johnsom said:
Just to give you an idea of how easy this game was I played reclined with my keyboard on my lap and the monitor 5 feet away while watching tv at 15fps when I was alone on top of a building(The game is poorly optimized on the pc). Apart from the magic missiles that appear miraculously midway in the game, and even they were more of an anoyance then a danger, nothing and I mean nothing in this game was a challenge.
Welcome to The Escapist, Johnson. As part of an ongoing requirement of forum etiquette, per the forum guidelines, please keep your comments to single threads when you have multiple replies - rather than posting them separately one after the other.

Also, regarding your first post there, paragraphing is your friend.

Enjoy your stay.

Blade VIII

May 23, 2009
I personally think that this game is worth it, the story missions are okay but do get repetative but it's all really up to creativity and how you do it.

The web of intrigue is one of my favourite parts because you find out the back story for everything on the game, it doesn't really make that much sense when you fight the specialist as the main boss until you find out what it was and how he knew everything about the virus its self.

The combat is fairly basic or simple but using a combination of the different powers can provide to be fun and useful.

Alot of people seem put off by how it looks so similar to infamous but the truth is that this game was actually held back years because of the problems in production.(Or they're just lazy bastards)For example the parkour idea etc was originally meant for this game but being held back so long the idea was taken and alot of similarities can be seen in games such as crackdown, assassins creed etc.

This may or may not have made alot of sense but i'm drunk and i tried, i was going to say a few more things but i've forgotten already.

TehOden

Jun 1, 2009
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. My only real problem with it is the difficulty curve is kinda' wonky... It's fairly easy one minute, incredibly frustrating the next.

Edit: Also, the person who thought it was a good idea to slow down the game every time you get hit with something needs to get kicked in the face.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Nerdfury said:
Ah ha ha! Bless your little cotton socks. Diablo? Young? Diablo was released in 1996, kid. That might be 'old' to sprites like yourself but it's really, really not. Oh dear, you gave me a chuckle.
Okay, how about you go to Kitchen Country Buffet or yell at skateboarders.

I did play before (SNES), but Diablo is the only game I remember from that time. That, and Mario, Contra, Jungle Book (;d), Alladin, Smurfs... and some crappy demo versions of games I wouldn't touch.

Point is - ad hoc arguments suck.

The dev's PM indicated no DLC, which is not equal to no patches. Perhaps you aught to get your terminology right there before you pull on your big boy boots.
There are other threads, but if you weren't an ignorant prick, you would simply go to Activision forums and see, that developers simply don't give a shit about the community. They haven't responded to ANY of the threads, despite saying it many times how they love the community and so on.

FACE IT - Games changed. If they didn't, we would still be in the 8-bit era, where you couldn't tell apart an eye from a leg, and gameplay was as complicated as making coffee.

Today, DLC, patches, post-release support is a STANDARD. So you get more SALES. And if week after release you tell players you won't support the game (SUPPORT = PATCHES TOO), that's a dick move.

Nerdfury

Feb 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:

I did play before (SNES), but Diablo is the only game I remember from that time. That, and Mario, Contra, Jungle Book (;d), Alladin, Smurfs... and some crappy demo versions of games I wouldn't touch.

The dev's PM indicated no DLC, which is not equal to no patches. Perhaps you aught to get your terminology right there before you pull on your big boy boots.
There are other threads, but if you weren't an ignorant prick, you would simply go to Activision forums and see, that developers simply don't give a shit about the community. They haven't responded to ANY of the threads, despite saying it many times how they love the community and so on.

FACE IT - Games changed. If they didn't, we would still be in the 8-bit era, where you couldn't tell apart an eye from a leg, and gameplay was as complicated as making coffee.

Today, DLC, patches, post-release support is a STANDARD. So you get more SALES. And if week after release you tell players you won't support the game (SUPPORT = PATCHES TOO), that's a dick move.
I'll let you pretend to have your internet victory here, because there's clearly no arguing with kids that have grown up thinking that DLC is a required 'standard' after releasing games and think that argumentum ad hominem is a great way to present the pro- argument.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Nerdfury said:
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:

I'll let you pretend to have your internet victory here, because there's clearly no arguing with kids that have grown up thinking that DLC is a required 'standard' after releasing games and think that argumentum ad hominem is a great way to present the pro- argument.
I didn't grow up thinking that DLC is required.

I grew up in a country where you had to wait a LONG time before you got Internet, cheap games and affordable PC parts. I grew up on expansion packs after a year or half, but mostly on the fact that in these days, DLC is common and PATCHES ARE MANDATORY.

Reported for trolling, grandpa. Stop living in the past and look at today's market.

Nerdfury

Feb 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:

I grew up in a country where you had to wait a LONG time before you got Internet, cheap games and affordable PC parts. I grew up on expansion packs after a year or half, but mostly on the fact that in these days, DLC is common and PATCHES ARE MANDATORY.

Reported for trolling, grandpa. Stop living in the past and look at today's market.
So you can't stand to an argument without writing in caps, and so you resort to accusing me of trolling, then telling me you reported me for it? That's sad.

Patches and DLC may be common, but when a game is released working they are not, and will never be mandatory. Patches are only 'mandatory' when there are glitches in the game or things need to be fixed. When a developer makes the effort to release a game and they make it so it plays fine, the standalone game is all that is required.

DLC may be some kind of 'standard' for you and people like you, but no dev is 'required' to release anything beyond the standalone game. Hell, they're not even required to release patches or updates to fix things. I've yet to hear any friends of mine report such issues with Prototype. Why fix what ain't broken? Because it ain't broken.

Today's developers are yesterday's oldschool gamers, and while DLC may be becoming more widely available thanks to broadband internet and such, creating a fully finished, entertaining, standalone game requires no DLC and maybe you should learn to be satisfied with games that took a lot of effort to create rather than getting sniffy because there's no bonus extra crap available.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Nerdfury said:
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:
Abedeus said:
Nerdfury said:

So you can't stand to an argument without writing in caps, and so you resort to accusing me of trolling, then telling me you reported me for it? That's sad.

Patches and DLC may be common, but when a game is released working they are not, and will never be mandatory. Patches are only 'mandatory' when there are glitches in the game or things need to be fixed. When a developer makes the effort to release a game and they make it so it plays fine, the standalone game is all that is required.

DLC may be some kind of 'standard' for you and people like you, but no dev is 'required' to release anything beyond the standalone game. Hell, they're not even required to release patches or updates to fix things. I've yet to hear any friends of mine report such issues with Prototype. Why fix what ain't broken? Because it ain't broken.

Today's developers are yesterday's oldschool gamers, and while DLC may be becoming more widely available thanks to broadband internet and such, creating a fully finished, entertaining, standalone game requires no DLC and maybe you should learn to be satisfied with games that took a lot of effort to create rather than getting sniffy because there's no bonus extra crap available.
That's what I'm talking about. I used caps so you will finally notice it. Thankfully, it worked.

Yes, hundreds of players have problems that glitch the game, have stutterings regardless of specifications, sound issues, and none of the devs even bothered to address those problems.

Patches are mandatory, especially if for well-known problems. Otherwise, devs are willingly selling a faulty product.

Also, I don't know how you can consider Prototype necessarily "finished" game. They were talking about cheats, quests, secret locations... Example? The leg, that was supposed to give you a sidequest. Dozens of people have found it, and it does NOTHING. Or we've seen in few trailers that a single jump can send you flying up to 2/3rd of Empire State Building, while in reality it barely jumps over a medium-sized building... if you charge up for 5-7 seconds.

Daltonsmithabc

Jun 21, 2009
Infamous is another game like prototype however its exclusive to the PS3 so prototype is the next best thing.

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
Daltonsmithabc said:
Infamous is another game like prototype however its exclusive to the PS3 so prototype is the next best thing.
Mercer isn't defeated by chain link fences. He either punches them down, throws someone/thing through them, jumps over them, or just sends his spike attack below them.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
The hype for this game swept the office, and I was pleased to find it didn't disappoint. No game can match the awesomeness of an elbow drop from a high building onto a tank. Prototype fulfills all my lust for destruction, while maintaining intrigue with stealth consume. It's the perfect exercise in "If I had superpowers, and I didn't want anyone to come after me..." It's like they took all the cool stuff from Spiderman and WWF games, with all the explosiveness of explosions and mass mayhem from GTA. Oh yeah, and there's explosions!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I have it, and what I will say is the combat is bland, but has it's fun moments. The physics make for extremely funny bits. I once picked up a car, locked on to some dude praying on the ground, then threw the car. It landed on the ground first, on it's side, and skidded in such a way that it turned around him, thus missing him. From 10 feet away I missed a stationary human with a car. I spared him for having such silly luck.

Anyway, what I was getting to was, while combat has it's fun points, free running is fun as hell in this game. If you do what I did and maxed out movement as soon as I could, you'll be jumping across town and it's genuinely fun.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
It is a solid game. Fun and interesting however the control system is well... fucked. You try getting a damn location orb on the top of a spire. You have to sprint up it and well, you will go off the side and once you are in the air any hope of recovering or getting back to the spire goes right out the window.
I had to resort to getting a chopper to get most of those bastards.

Nerdfury

Feb 2, 2008
johnsom said:
Nerdfury said:
Welcome to The Escapist, Johnson. As part of an ongoing requirement of forum etiquette, per the forum guidelines, please keep your comments to single threads when you have multiple replies - rather than posting them separately one after the other.
Enjoy your stay.
Herm, well thanks for the veiled insult buddy but etiquette is never required. A lack of etiquette may be frowned upon but its certainly not par for the course. Speaking of etiquette couldn't treating people with respect be considered a matter of etiquette. Oh, no wait its the rules of the forum. Maybe you should read the guidelines before you post your condescending opinion troll. Age in no way gives your opinion more validity. I played games on the Atari when that was all there was. I had to boot games in dos and learn the commands to do so. So what if people want a little dlc and expect it. Should it affect your decisions on what games you choose to play? Not in my opinion, but to each their own. should it help in the decision on what you decide to buy? absolutely especially with a game with little reason to play it in the first place. I will say this most of the top game developing companies are doing it. If this is the kind of discussion I can find on escapist this certainly will be only a "stay".
Great Caesar's ghost, man - I simply pointed out that people are politely requested to keep multiple comments to one thread, instead of making many comments after the other, and that readers appreciate a little paragraphing. I'm sorry if somewhere in your mind you managed to get an insult out of that, but accusing one of trolling is hardly a fitting response to a polite bit of advice for a newcomer.

If this is the kind of reaction you're likely to give, you're more than welcome to cut your stay here short.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
johnsom said:
Nerdfury said:
Enjoy your stay.
Herm, well thanks for the veiled insult buddy but etiquette is never required. A lack of etiquette may be frowned upon but its certainly not par for the course. Speaking of etiquette couldn't treating people with respect be considered a matter of etiquette. Oh, no wait its the rules of the forum. Maybe you should read the guidelines before you post your condescending opinion troll. Age in no way gives your opinion more validity. I played games on the Atari when that was all there was. I had to boot games in dos and learn the commands to do so. So what if people want a little dlc and expect it. Should it affect your decisions on what games you choose to play? Not in my opinion, but to each their own. should it help in the decision on what you decide to buy? absolutely especially with a game with little reason to play it in the first place. I will say this most of the top game developing companies are doing it. If this is the kind of discussion I can find on escapist this certainly will be only a "stay".
Let's ratchet that hostility down a touch, shall we? His original suggestion, that you confine your replies to a single post instead of a string of them, was on point and politely stated.

As for people bickering back and forth at each other about who's been playing games longer and whatnot -- knock it off, of take it to PMs.

forgetfulencinda

May 20, 2009
Rented Prototype, beat it in three days and had a blast along the way. So my suggestion would be to rent it.

Though I did have a question for those who played it.

Who the heck was the dude in tank near the end of the game that you chase and eat. It not so much his name that I want as why Alex might have a grudge against him. I mean Alex was very vindictive in his taunting of the dude during the chase but I don't know anything about him other then he obviously had military ties and was trying to skip town. So did I miss him kicking Mercer's puppy or something?

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
i whole heartedly agree :D
i like the claws, so much fun, such a huge mess, and excellent for clearing a busy street on the run.

i gave a marine a helicopter/tank hat, whats not to love

and the plot parts are good for just sitting there and listening, i kinda like that in a game, the cut scenes arint long, but they make you wonder what you are looking at for a little bit inbetween the random slaughter of infected zombies, and random civilians.

id like to point out, the whip-harpoon thing (how can that even be called a fist?!) isnt as powerful as it looks, but thats my point of view

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
jasoncyrus said:

...I, on the other hand, had exactly one instance of it freezing (during a cutscene.)

And that was it.
Otherwise, Prototype ran like an angel.
johnsom said:
Or maybe you just have a really awful computer?

Mine is like a year or two old and it ran awesomely.

Maybe I just got lucky.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
...I, on the other hand, had exactly one instance of it freezing (during a cutscene.)

And that was it.
Otherwise, Prototype ran like an angel.
Ahhh lucky! What setup do you have? I tracked my error down to what i believe is a driver incompatibility (even though i updated my drivers this week) so I think it must be a glitch in the game itself rather than a problem with my rig.

johnsom said:
Well thats what happens when A) you play it on EASY mode and B) you have a rubbish setup. Seriously, you couldn't get it to run better than 15 fps? Sucks to have your setup then. Mine ran like a dream (aside form the occasional freezes) and at standard fps rates its considerably more of a challenge than you make it out to be.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
jasoncyrus said:
Ahhh lucky! What setup do you have? I tracked my error down to what i believe is a driver incompatibility (even though i updated my drivers this week) so I think it must be a glitch in the game itself rather than a problem with my rig.
I honestly have no clue. I'm not really technically inclined - if I have to fix something, I will, but it'll be held together with duct tape.

I didn't even buy the game (though I will do so, since I enjoyed it.)
Luck of the draw, I guess.

jamyathin

Apr 20, 2009
Rednog said:
Anyways /endrant.
Personaly from what the web of intrigue tells you it seems that alex was a better person after the infection(story wise) since he was trying to get back his sister and destroy the virus leaders but also he did want to destroy blacklight who were trying to control manhatten island. And since Alex did start the virus on manhatten island before he was infected he didn't even know untill you consume that certain random person so i think the infected verson is nicer but has no conscience

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
jamyathin said:
Rednog said:
Anyways /endrant.
Personaly from what the web of intrigue tells you it seems that alex was a better person after the infection(story wise) since he was trying to get back his sister and destroy the virus leaders but also he did want to destroy blacklight who were trying to control manhatten island. And since Alex did start the virus on manhatten island before he was infected he didn't even know untill you consume that certain random person so i think the infected verson is nicer but has no conscience
BlackWatch are the soldiers on the Island. Blacklight is you the main character. The web of intrigue shows that plainclothes assassins were sent after Alex, they cornered him and his last act in life was to infect the city/world. The virus, Blacklight, absorbed him and took his form, just like you take the form of anyone you consume. Alex was a douche, he left his sister for years and despite warnings from his friends, when he threatened the company, he put everyone he knew in danger. There is no redemption for Alex, he tried to take everyone down with him. Blacklight on the other hand, his morality is questionable, he does certain "good" acts out of his belief that he is Alex, but when he finds out that he really isn't he takes a step back and it is my interpretation that he brushes off his previous actions and goes on with a new mentality in life.

jebus4you

Jul 11, 2009
this game is one of the best games ive ever played but its a rent. Since you will lose the buzz to play it soon and the story of it is in fact retarded. To find out the story you have to watch like 2 hours of cutscenes in random orders. And the game is easy to beat.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
Nerdfury said:
Great Caesar's ghost, man - I simply pointed out that people are politely requested to keep multiple comments to one thread, instead of making many comments after the other, and that readers appreciate a little paragraphing. I'm sorry if somewhere in your mind you managed to get an insult out of that, but accusing one of trolling is hardly a fitting response to a polite bit of advice for a newcomer.

If this is the kind of reaction you're likely to give, you're more than welcome to cut your stay here short.
Well, ok rereading the post I admit I flew of the handle a bit. Critiquing of my grammar is one of my pet peeves and cherry picking the post I seemed you were dismissing the other poster based solely on age or experience.

jasoncyrus said:
Well thats what happens when A) you play it on EASY mode and B) you have a rubbish setup. Seriously, you couldn't get it to run better than 15 fps? Sucks to have your setup then. Mine ran like a dream (aside form the occasional freezes) and at standard fps rates its considerably more of a challenge than you make it out to be.
A) I play at normal on the first play through. I see it as how the developers intended for the game to be played. B) I do have an older pc, but when I can run nearly every other game under the sun at respectable frames and more then enough eye candy for my tastes I caulk poor fps up to poor optimization of the game code. I don't really blame them to much. It was created for the console, but they could at the very least give an option to turn off hdr/bloom. This game is easy and when it gets hard they begin to bend the laws of physics.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
To be fair, this is the only version I've played. But I had a ball with it.
I found that I agree with your review 100%. The plot was interesting if you wanted to hunt it down and the reward for completing all the consume events was particularly fun for me. And it fulfilled my desire to be a walking apocalypse.

:D

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Does the guy even have a health bar or does shooting him just make him angry? Cos that's what it looked like 'The bullets, they do nothin!'

-M