Review: Prototype

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Prototype

Prototype is the perfect antidote for your summer doldrums.

Read Full Article

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
I'm going to buy this game as soon as I have money. But I'm not sure which platform.

It's interesting to see such a high-praise review for the 360 version of this game; it has so far been considered to be the lesser of the three. If it's still good, I'll probably buy it for that then.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
It's the same gameplay wise, it's just apparently the graphics aren't quite as shiny and there is distance fog.

The movement looks fun. That's partly why I really want it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Rent it.

Developers are not going to release any patch or DLC in the future. Ever. Only Prototype 2.

Sure the game is fun, but for $60... it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

Thank God I had a cousin with the game before I decided to buy it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Hmm, I'm still not sure about Prototype. The main character annoys me for some reason.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Psychosocial said:
So.. Should I buy or rent it? D:

There would be no question about buying this game for me, if not for the fights being nothing but clusterfucks, from what I've heard and seen.
It depends. Did you like Hulk UD? If so, buy this. If not, rent it.

I was a big fan of Hulk UD so I bought this as soon as I could. It's a winner in the parts that really matter: it has a lot of different types of side activities scattered through the city and just running around can be entertaining enough as there's no shortage of enemies and bystanders. On the other hand the bystanders can look pretty silly sometimes when they run around in their parades (though these are the most fun to run through/over), the map itself is pretty small with the landmarks all mixed up and half there (like Bryant Park without the Library), and the neighborhoods are all on top of each other but if you've never been to NYC, you probably wont even notice.

And for the record, the clusterfucks are fun especially when you can kill all of them at once.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Serious question in reference to Alex Mercer, Warning huge plot spoilers:
So I've noticed that almost every review both professional and not refers to the main character as Alex Mercer, and he is often described as an amnesiac and an evil/anti hero. I understand that for reviews that are meant to be spoiler free this is ok, but in reviews that have spoilers no one mentions that Alex Mercer is dead and you're really Blacklight, a virus that Alex took as insurance when he tried to take down Gentek. And in a desperate attempt Alex threw the virus to the ground condemning the city/world as he was gunned down by plain clothes assasins, but in a twist of events Blacklight absorbed Alex in the same manner as the game lets you absorb other people throughout the game. Because of this it really isn't an amnesiac, it doesn't have the memories in the first place beyond its creation. And it is a bit hard to bring up morality in terms of something that really isn't human, do I say a virus that kills people is evil? I really don't think so.
Why do I bring this up? From the web of intrigues Alex Mercer was a douche. He was a selfish jerk who didn't think of anyone but himself and tried to take down humanity with himself (hell even Blacklight says at one point that Mercer committed an unforgivable act. Hell the virus cared more to save his sister than the real guy, Alex Mercer didn't give a rat's ass about his sister considering he didn't see her for years even though they were in the same city. In the end Blacklight does actually do some actions that can be seen as "good", and recognizes that him ending a lot of lives probably wasn't the best thing he could have done. Thus I think that the distinction should be made, it reminds me of the whole Frankenstein and "the creature" problem. Every one refers to the creature as Frankenstein when they are in fact two separate individuals, and in both cases the creatures are very flexible in terms of their morality.
Anyways /endrant.

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
Now I've never played either game, but when I look at them Infamous and Prototype seem to have more than a few similarities. Both are open world superhero games featuring a loner antihero- though the tone of prototype seems much darker.

I just thought it was interesting that the review didnt mention this- or maybe they arent that similar. As I said, I havent played either.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Doug said:
Hmm, I'm still not sure about Prototype. The main character annoys me for some reason.
You're not supposed to like him. In fact, you're meant to hate him. There was a specific design for him, I mean, how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?

roboosh

May 8, 2008
great game. The only reason you couldn't like it is because it's not to your taste. insta-classic.

p.s. when i say "you" i really mean "one" but I don't wanna sound posh

Partyjerk

Jun 6, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Doug said:
how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?
hmmm, i liked AC ( hoodie guy), and didnt like The witcher (amneasic guy), it merges sinfully together, like minus, multiplied with a plus, is still minus :D

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

Developers are not going to release any patch or DLC in the future. Ever. Only Prototype 2.
Sources?
Activision forum.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2758

Outrage after finding out there will be no further content or anything with the game.

And here a dude that got a PM answer from one of the devs.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2748

How nice of them, they'll keep giving assets (stock shares or what?), videos (of the game we already have), news (none), artwork (woop-dee-doo, worth $50?) and more videos. How great, at least if they don't give us CONTENT we won't overload from fun. Because they really value the community. $50 a head.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I'd recomend this in a heart beat. It's one of the best games iv'e played this year and is tremendous amounts of fun.

But there is one thing about the story telling, although I like how they've done it with the web of intrigue, half-way through the missions I can't help but feel as though it's a bit off, that the producers cut a chunk out of the plot in hindsight and are saving it for some form of sequel.

Regardless of this, the plot can be really immersive once you get into it.

And slicing/clubbing/shooting/blowing people up is just one of the best forms of entertainment. Got to give them props for all the varying different ways to kill people.