Review: Prototype

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Doug said:
Hmm, I'm still not sure about Prototype. The main character annoys me for some reason.
You're not supposed to like him. In fact, you're meant to hate him. There was a specific design for him, I mean, how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?
Because alot of people on the internet seem to love the dark/evil brooding sort. But anyway...so, why should I want to control said amnesiac-hoodie-fleshvampire?

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
Buy the game if your like me. And by like me, I mean you could have fun tying a string to a tennis ball and swinging it around. Sure it gets repetitive, but its fun as hell. It has a slightly-stupid spiderman feel to it, as the mechanics for getting around will never be as great as web slinging, but are still fun. If your ok with really exploring the game, buy it. if your more of a story person, rent it. Either way, don't but the Bulletoive Dive, get the massively over powered thing where you divebomb with your blade out, and remember to get the upgrade so you can use whipfist.to hijack and consume anything that even slightly reminds you that your not playing spiderman,

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
Doug said:
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Doug said:
Hmm, I'm still not sure about Prototype. The main character annoys me for some reason.
You're not supposed to like him. In fact, you're meant to hate him. There was a specific design for him, I mean, how can you like an amnesiac-hoodie?
Because alot of people on the internet seem to love the dark/evil brooding sort. But anyway...so, why should I want to control said amnesiac-hoodie-fleshvampire?

I find the best way is to imagine him as a slightly less annoying Peter Parker.

pedrakhan

Sep 10, 2008
played it..had fun with it....finished it
played it again ...got bored of being gang raped by all the missiles and heli's

and for those 6 hours its not worth ur ?60
theres no replay...only one way to go....and that way is hammerd to dead on ur first playtrough.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

Developers are not going to release any patch or DLC in the future. Ever. Only Prototype 2.

Sure the game is fun, but for $60... it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

Thank God I had a cousin with the game before I decided to buy it.
What ever happened to the days where we could enjoy games without the prospect of there being additional things added in the future?

I miss those days...

Anyways, excellent review as always, Susan. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm going to have to convice my friend to rent it and bring it over my place :D

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Multi-Kill said:
Spinwhiz said:
Great review Susan. Looks like a great time.
Whats a brand manager?
I handle all of the marketing, pr, events and contests in regards to the maintaining and increasing of brand equity for The Escapist and WarCry.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

Developers are not going to release any patch or DLC in the future. Ever. Only Prototype 2.

What ever happened to the days where we could enjoy games without the prospect of there being additional things added in the future?

I miss those days...

Anyways, excellent review as always, Susan. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm going to have to convice my friend to rent it and bring it over my place :D
Yes, I totally agree. I don't know whats up with this new style of making a game then coming out with DLC for it. To me it seems like a sad way of making a game longer and more interesting.

TruthMan

May 20, 2009
i got this as soon as it came out and payed the full 60 and honestly im not disappointed. no its not final fantasy game or metal gear with an amazing story it a game i pick up and have fun with no matter what and ill be playing this forever maybe not as much as i am now but in a year i know ill just get the urge dive out of one heli just to dive on another then whip to another and hijack it

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

I think it was before you could finish a game in 10 hours and multiplayer/modding was available.

Shibito091192 said:
Nice to see the developers have added slightly refreshing elements to the 'superhero-sandbox' genre. I mean, consuming and stealing the identity of a soldier (in mid-air) is cool...

Thanks for the review!
Sorry, can't consume mid-air. You can disguise into another person if you had already consumed them, but no consuming while jumping.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Curtmiester said:
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

Yes, I totally agree. I don't know whats up with this new style of making a game then coming out with DLC for it. To me it seems like a sad way of making a game longer and more interesting.
That's not entirely what I meant. I absoulely love Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles for Oblivion. In that case, and in others, it works, though there are certain times where it is just a sad attempt at making a bit more money.

My problem is that, although I can understand people being angered over the possibility of no updates or DLC for a multiplayer game in order to keep it fresh (like the whole L4D2 fiasco), people sometimes refuse to buy single player games because there won't be any DLC. Why not? Some games should be taken as is and adding something can potentially (and ironically)detract from the final product. Some games do not need DLC, and from the looks of things, Prototype is one of them. It's a game where the fun lies in sandboxing and blowing shit up. Hell, it's why I enjoy GTA 4 so much (just an example, I know there was DLC for it). I don't like the story. I play it because it's hilarious to go joyriding and blow cars up. Minus the sandboxing, it's also why I loved Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. You can fling Jawas into the fucking atmosphere! IT'S HILARIOUS!

I just have a huge issue with the fact that the gaming community has gotten so picky these days. They beg "give us something new" and when it comes they call it crap, say "you did this wrong", or beg for the developers to tweak it or give them additional content (which can be hard for an original concept), and that's why there are so many cloned games out there. It's because of the consumers. They want more than the developers can give, and when they give them what they want, they decide they want even more. (Not that Prototype is original, mind you... it's just a major problem I've had).

Anyways, rant over. I know my words won't exactly mean much to anyone, but I had to say it.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
Abedeus said:
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

I think it was before you could finish a game in 10 hours and multiplayer/modding was available.

Shibito091192 said:
Nice to see the developers have added slightly refreshing elements to the 'superhero-sandbox' genre. I mean, consuming and stealing the identity of a soldier (in mid-air) is cool...

Thanks for the review!
Sorry, can't consume mid-air. You can disguise into another person if you had already consumed them, but no consuming while jumping.
I think you've taken after Kenpachi's rage a little to much...(ironic coming from me)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Abedeus said:
ZeroMachine said:
What about Portal? That game is great as is. Yes, there are many mods and community made maps, but none equal the original content. I don't even play any of them, as I haven't found any that I enjoy even close to as much.

I'm sure it's not what you meant, but it sounds like you haven't ever enjoyed a game that you can beat in a short amount of time. Quality, not quantity, is the most important thing in a game.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Curtmiester said:
ZeroMachine said:
Abedeus said:
Rent it.

I miss those days...

That's not entirely what I meant. I absoulely love Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles for Oblivion. In that case, and in others, it works, though there are certain times where it is just a sad attempt at making a bit more money.

My problem is that, although I can understand people being angered over the possibility of no updates or DLC for a multiplayer game in order to keep it fresh (like the whole L4D2 fiasco), people sometimes refuse to buy single player games because there won't be any DLC. Why not? Some games should be taken as is and adding something can potentially (and ironically)detract from the final product. Some games do not need DLC, and from the looks of things, Prototype is one of them. It's a game where the fun lies in sandboxing and blowing shit up. Hell, it's why I enjoy GTA 4 so much (just an example, I know there was DLC for it). I don't like the story. I play it because it's hilarious to go joyriding and blow cars up. Minus the sandboxing, it's also why I loved Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. You can fling Jawas into the fucking atmosphere! IT'S HILARIOUS!

I just have a huge issue with the fact that the gaming community has gotten so picky these days. They beg "give us something new" and when it comes they call it crap, say "you did this wrong", or beg for the developers to tweak it or give them additional content (which can be hard for an original concept), and that's why there are so many cloned games out there. It's because of the consumers. They want more than the developers can give, and when they give them what they want, they decide they want even more. (Not that Prototype is original, mind you... it's just a major problem I've had).

Anyways, rant over. I know my words won't exactly mean much to anyone, but I had to say it.
O sorry, I believe that I worded myself wrong there. You see I meant to say something like I like DLC but I'm pissed off at how much people want more of it even though companies are having a hard time making it. I bet its hard to release DLC that doesn't change gameplay so much that it messes up the game in someway. To me it seems like if your going to release a game now-a-days you better have some DLC up your sleave.

Arcyde

Nov 16, 2008
I will be buying it, but I have to wait because I already bought InFamous and Red Faction: Guerrilla.