Review: Prototype

Daltonsmithabc

Jun 21, 2009
Infamous is another game like prototype however its exclusive to the PS3 so prototype is the next best thing.

admiraljustin

Mar 18, 2009
Daltonsmithabc said:
Infamous is another game like prototype however its exclusive to the PS3 so prototype is the next best thing.
Mercer isn't defeated by chain link fences. He either punches them down, throws someone/thing through them, jumps over them, or just sends his spike attack below them.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Prototype is the perfect antidote for your summer doldrums.
The hype for this game swept the office, and I was pleased to find it didn't disappoint. No game can match the awesomeness of an elbow drop from a high building onto a tank. Prototype fulfills all my lust for destruction, while maintaining intrigue with stealth consume. It's the perfect exercise in "If I had superpowers, and I didn't want anyone to come after me..." It's like they took all the cool stuff from Spiderman and WWF games, with all the explosiveness of explosions and mass mayhem from GTA. Oh yeah, and there's explosions!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I have it, and what I will say is the combat is bland, but has it's fun moments. The physics make for extremely funny bits. I once picked up a car, locked on to some dude praying on the ground, then threw the car. It landed on the ground first, on it's side, and skidded in such a way that it turned around him, thus missing him. From 10 feet away I missed a stationary human with a car. I spared him for having such silly luck.

Anyway, what I was getting to was, while combat has it's fun points, free running is fun as hell in this game. If you do what I did and maxed out movement as soon as I could, you'll be jumping across town and it's genuinely fun.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
johnsom said:
Nerdfury said:
Welcome to The Escapist, Johnson. As part of an ongoing requirement of forum etiquette, per the forum guidelines, please keep your comments to single threads when you have multiple replies - rather than posting them separately one after the other.
Also, regarding your first post there, paragraphing is your friend.
Enjoy your stay.
Herm, well thanks for the veiled insult buddy but etiquette is never required. A lack of etiquette may be frowned upon but its certainly not par for the course. Speaking of etiquette couldn't treating people with respect be considered a matter of etiquette. Oh, no wait its the rules of the forum. Maybe you should read the guidelines before you post your condescending opinion troll. Age in no way gives your opinion more validity. I played games on the Atari when that was all there was. I had to boot games in dos and learn the commands to do so. So what if people want a little dlc and expect it. Should it affect your decisions on what games you choose to play? Not in my opinion, but to each their own. should it help in the decision on what you decide to buy? absolutely especially with a game with little reason to play it in the first place. I will say this most of the top game developing companies are doing it. If this is the kind of discussion I can find on escapist this certainly will be only a "stay".
Great Caesar's ghost, man - I simply pointed out that people are politely requested to keep multiple comments to one thread, instead of making many comments after the other, and that readers appreciate a little paragraphing. I'm sorry if somewhere in your mind you managed to get an insult out of that, but accusing one of trolling is hardly a fitting response to a polite bit of advice for a newcomer.

If this is the kind of reaction you're likely to give, you're more than welcome to cut your stay here short.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
johnsom said:
Nerdfury said:
Welcome to The Escapist, Johnson. As part of an ongoing requirement of forum etiquette, per the forum guidelines, please keep your comments to single threads when you have multiple replies - rather than posting them separately one after the other.
Also, regarding your first post there, paragraphing is your friend.
Enjoy your stay.
Herm, well thanks for the veiled insult buddy but etiquette is never required. A lack of etiquette may be frowned upon but its certainly not par for the course. Speaking of etiquette couldn't treating people with respect be considered a matter of etiquette. Oh, no wait its the rules of the forum. Maybe you should read the guidelines before you post your condescending opinion troll. Age in no way gives your opinion more validity. I played games on the Atari when that was all there was. I had to boot games in dos and learn the commands to do so. So what if people want a little dlc and expect it. Should it affect your decisions on what games you choose to play? Not in my opinion, but to each their own. should it help in the decision on what you decide to buy? absolutely especially with a game with little reason to play it in the first place. I will say this most of the top game developing companies are doing it. If this is the kind of discussion I can find on escapist this certainly will be only a "stay".
Let's ratchet that hostility down a touch, shall we? His original suggestion, that you confine your replies to a single post instead of a string of them, was on point and politely stated.

As for people bickering back and forth at each other about who's been playing games longer and whatnot -- knock it off, of take it to PMs.

forgetfulencinda

May 20, 2009
Rented Prototype, beat it in three days and had a blast along the way. So my suggestion would be to rent it.

Though I did have a question for those who played it.

Who the heck was the dude in tank near the end of the game that you chase and eat. It not so much his name that I want as why Alex might have a grudge against him. I mean Alex was very vindictive in his taunting of the dude during the chase but I don't know anything about him other then he obviously had military ties and was trying to skip town. So did I miss him kicking Mercer's puppy or something?

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Review: Prototype

Prototype is the perfect antidote for your summer doldrums.

Read Full Article
i whole heartedly agree :D
i like the claws, so much fun, such a huge mess, and excellent for clearing a busy street on the run.

i gave a marine a helicopter/tank hat, whats not to love

and the plot parts are good for just sitting there and listening, i kinda like that in a game, the cut scenes arint long, but they make you wonder what you are looking at for a little bit inbetween the random slaughter of infected zombies, and random civilians.

id like to point out, the whip-harpoon thing (how can that even be called a fist?!) isnt as powerful as it looks, but thats my point of view

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
...I, on the other hand, had exactly one instance of it freezing (during a cutscene.)

And that was it.
Otherwise, Prototype ran like an angel.
Ahhh lucky! What setup do you have? I tracked my error down to what i believe is a driver incompatibility (even though i updated my drivers this week) so I think it must be a glitch in the game itself rather than a problem with my rig.

johnsom said:
Just to give you an idea of how easy this game was I played reclined with my keyboard on my lap and the monitor 5 feet away while watching tv at 15fps when I was alone on top of a building(The game is poorly optimized on the pc). Apart from the magic missiles that appear miraculously midway in the game, and even they were more of an anoyance then a danger, nothing and I mean nothing in this game was a challenge.
Well thats what happens when A) you play it on EASY mode and B) you have a rubbish setup. Seriously, you couldn't get it to run better than 15 fps? Sucks to have your setup then. Mine ran like a dream (aside form the occasional freezes) and at standard fps rates its considerably more of a challenge than you make it out to be.

jamyathin

Apr 20, 2009
Rednog said:
Serious question in reference to Alex Mercer, Warning huge plot spoilers:
So I've noticed that almost every review both professional and not refers to the main character as Alex Mercer, and he is often described as an amnesiac and an evil/anti hero. I understand that for reviews that are meant to be spoiler free this is ok, but in reviews that have spoilers no one mentions that Alex Mercer is dead and you're really Blacklight, a virus that Alex took as insurance when he tried to take down Gentek. And in a desperate attempt Alex threw the virus to the ground condemning the city/world as he was gunned down by plain clothes assasins, but in a twist of events Blacklight absorbed Alex in the same manner as the game lets you absorb other people throughout the game. Because of this it really isn't an amnesiac, it doesn't have the memories in the first place beyond its creation. And it is a bit hard to bring up morality in terms of something that really isn't human, do I say a virus that kills people is evil? I really don't think so.
Why do I bring this up? From the web of intrigues Alex Mercer was a douche. He was a selfish jerk who didn't think of anyone but himself and tried to take down humanity with himself (hell even Blacklight says at one point that Mercer committed an unforgivable act. Hell the virus cared more to save his sister than the real guy, Alex Mercer didn't give a rat's ass about his sister considering he didn't see her for years even though they were in the same city. In the end Blacklight does actually do some actions that can be seen as "good", and recognizes that him ending a lot of lives probably wasn't the best thing he could have done. Thus I think that the distinction should be made, it reminds me of the whole Frankenstein and "the creature" problem. Every one refers to the creature as Frankenstein when they are in fact two separate individuals, and in both cases the creatures are very flexible in terms of their morality.
Anyways /endrant.
Personaly from what the web of intrigue tells you it seems that alex was a better person after the infection(story wise) since he was trying to get back his sister and destroy the virus leaders but also he did want to destroy blacklight who were trying to control manhatten island. And since Alex did start the virus on manhatten island before he was infected he didn't even know untill you consume that certain random person so i think the infected verson is nicer but has no conscience

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
jamyathin said:
Rednog said:
Serious question in reference to Alex Mercer, Warning huge plot spoilers:
So I've noticed that almost every review both professional and not refers to the main character as Alex Mercer, and he is often described as an amnesiac and an evil/anti hero. I understand that for reviews that are meant to be spoiler free this is ok, but in reviews that have spoilers no one mentions that Alex Mercer is dead and you're really Blacklight, a virus that Alex took as insurance when he tried to take down Gentek. And in a desperate attempt Alex threw the virus to the ground condemning the city/world as he was gunned down by plain clothes assasins, but in a twist of events Blacklight absorbed Alex in the same manner as the game lets you absorb other people throughout the game. Because of this it really isn't an amnesiac, it doesn't have the memories in the first place beyond its creation. And it is a bit hard to bring up morality in terms of something that really isn't human, do I say a virus that kills people is evil? I really don't think so.
Why do I bring this up? From the web of intrigues Alex Mercer was a douche. He was a selfish jerk who didn't think of anyone but himself and tried to take down humanity with himself (hell even Blacklight says at one point that Mercer committed an unforgivable act. Hell the virus cared more to save his sister than the real guy, Alex Mercer didn't give a rat's ass about his sister considering he didn't see her for years even though they were in the same city. In the end Blacklight does actually do some actions that can be seen as "good", and recognizes that him ending a lot of lives probably wasn't the best thing he could have done. Thus I think that the distinction should be made, it reminds me of the whole Frankenstein and "the creature" problem. Every one refers to the creature as Frankenstein when they are in fact two separate individuals, and in both cases the creatures are very flexible in terms of their morality.
Anyways /endrant.
Personaly from what the web of intrigue tells you it seems that alex was a better person after the infection(story wise) since he was trying to get back his sister and destroy the virus leaders but also he did want to destroy blacklight who were trying to control manhatten island. And since Alex did start the virus on manhatten island before he was infected he didn't even know untill you consume that certain random person so i think the infected verson is nicer but has no conscience
BlackWatch are the soldiers on the Island. Blacklight is you the main character. The web of intrigue shows that plainclothes assassins were sent after Alex, they cornered him and his last act in life was to infect the city/world. The virus, Blacklight, absorbed him and took his form, just like you take the form of anyone you consume. Alex was a douche, he left his sister for years and despite warnings from his friends, when he threatened the company, he put everyone he knew in danger. There is no redemption for Alex, he tried to take everyone down with him. Blacklight on the other hand, his morality is questionable, he does certain "good" acts out of his belief that he is Alex, but when he finds out that he really isn't he takes a step back and it is my interpretation that he brushes off his previous actions and goes on with a new mentality in life.

jebus4you

Jul 11, 2009
this game is one of the best games ive ever played but its a rent. Since you will lose the buzz to play it soon and the story of it is in fact retarded. To find out the story you have to watch like 2 hours of cutscenes in random orders. And the game is easy to beat.