Review: Punch-Out!!

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: Punch-Out!!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Read Full Article

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Great review! Even though I downloaded Punch Out with some Wii points, I think I'll have to purchase this anyways.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I played the Original Punch Out!! on the Wii for my first time, not too long ago. My god, what a fun series. I look forward to purchasing the remake, seems like a good investment.

EDIT: Tip to beating Glass Joe: Throw a Goomba in the ring, then just go get a snow cone or something. He'll be K'Oed in No Time.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hmmm, the question is not whether or not I should get the game, but whether or not I should go now to get it, or wait a bit...

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I've only played Super Punch out!! for the SNES, so I don't know what the original is like. Still, I'll look forward to picking this up when possible.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
nah it looks like fun for a while, think your gonna get bored by it quite fast.
maby fun as a party game or something

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
blipblop said:
Party game? Only if you want a room full of drunken, frustrated guests.

Punch Out! was always meant to be a game about failure. The original arcade version, along with the NES port, sent you back to the start of the circuit when you failed. Now that you have handed over your quarters beforehand, you only need to start the current fight over. After the first few fights, you are EXPECTED to fail at least once before progressing.

Regenerating health meters and chest high walls have no place in Punch Out!, you cannot go toe to toe with your opponents, or they will crush you. The reward for winning is not saving the world, it's being able to show the cheatyface computer who's the boss.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I have played the original NES Punch-Out and still do to this day. I don't own the Wii version yet but am going to someday purchase it. I have found that throughout the game Great Tiger is much more difficult than he was in the NES. I have gone to the third Circuit and have reached Bald Bull but haven't fought against him yet. They brought back Aran Ryan from Super Punch-Out and has a head butt attack reminiscent of Masked Muscle except Aran will jump onto the ropes then try to skull bash you.

Overall I truly enjoyed this game and will purchase it soon.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
When I first heard about this game I was being a pessimist. Going ?oh no they are going to ruin it? ?it's not going to be anything like the original? ?they will just tack on stupid things that will make me hate them? I am soooooo glad I was wrong.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
randommaster said:
blipblop said:

Punch Out! was always meant to be a game about failure. The original arcade version, along with the NES port, sent you back to the start of the circuit when you failed. Now that you have handed over your quarters beforehand, you only need to start the current fight over. After the first few fights, you are EXPECTED to fail at least once before progressing.

Regenerating health meters and chest high walls have no place in Punch Out!, you cannot go toe to toe with your opponents, or they will crush you. The reward for winning is not saving the world, it's being able to show the cheatyface computer who's the boss.
well maby, I have never played punch out on arcade only on the NES.
and yes maby the saving system was crap but allmost every NES game had a shity saving system if non at all. and it did´t have anything to do with me puting quarters in my nintendo :)
anyway what I meant was this game probably is nothing more mediocre
but the 2player look´t ok, not good but ok. possible a nice little party game that you can drink some beers too and smack your friends faces in.

Feb 18, 2009
It´s nice, how they keep treating goodies to us nostalgia freaks. I used to play the NES Punch-Out! back in the day, and I liked it. Maybe now the day, when I beat Tyson, will finally come *Shakes fist*.

Nice review. Thanks for this.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Your opinion on it is good enough for me. Beating Tyson (from punch-out) in IWBTG is the hardest piece of gaming I've ever played.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I'm very glad they didn't ruin it by changing the core gameplay...

Honestly, some of my favorite sequels are pretty-much rehashes of the old game with a little more extra stuff (Take the F-Zero X to F-Zero GX jump, for example.)

I'm pleasantly surprised. My friend picked this up and he's actually having a ball of a time.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Baneat said:
Your opinion on it is good enough for me. Beating Tyson (from punch-out) in IWBTG is the hardest piece of gaming I've ever played.
Battletoads: Level 3.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
blipblop said:
randommaster said:
blipblop said:

well maby, I have never played punch out on arcade only on the NES.
and yes maby the saving system was crap but allmost every NES game had a shity saving system if non at all. and it did´t have anything to do with me puting quarters in my nintendo :)
anyway what I meant was this game probably is nothing more mediocre
but the 2player look´t ok, not good but ok. possible a nice little party game that you can drink some beers too and smack your friends faces in.
The save system was directly from the arcade game, which made you start back at the beginning so that you had to go through all the earlier fights before getting to where you were. That was purely for eating quarters, but the NES version retained it for whatever reason. I would have loved to hear about you trying to put quarters in your NES, though.

Anyways, the vs. mode does seem like it would make a good game to play while drunk. Almost as much as someone putting quarters into their NES. What I would suggest is that the two people face each other instead of the screen and simulate the game in the living room.

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
Here's something I get to brag about: back when this game was in development I was able to test it for four straight hours. In fact, I can only tell you this now because the game existence is now common knowledge; therefore, the agreement with Next Level Games that says I legally must keep my mouth shut is void. I got to tell you, there are few things more satisfying than watching a game designer crap his pants when the game breaks from a massive error that he didn't know about.