Review: Punch-Out!!

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
So, is Mike Tyson still the final boss that's damn near unbeatable? Or did they replace him with someone else? Also, does this mean the we'll see a new version of "N***a stole my bike" flooding youtube?

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
xitel said:
So, is Mike Tyson still the final boss that's damn near unbeatable? Or did they replace him with someone else? Also, does this mean the we'll see a new version of "N***a stole my bike" flooding youtube?
Tyson became "Mr. Dream" in the original Punch-Out after Nintendo's license expired. In the new version, he's the slightly more sinister "Mr. Sandman." But yeah, pretty much still Tyson.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
xitel said:
Tyson became "Mr. Dream" in the original Punch-Out after Nintendo's license expired. In the new version, he's the slightly more sinister "Mr. Sandman." But yeah, pretty much still Tyson.
Ah, so in other words he looks like Tyson, feels like Tyson, but isn't Tyson? I Can't Believe It's Not Tyson!

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Flying-Emu said:
Baneat said:
Your opinion on it is good enough for me. Beating Tyson (from punch-out) in IWBTG is the hardest piece of gaming I've ever played.
Battletoads: Level 3.
there are harder parts in Battletoads than the hover ski part.
Yes, that Level 3 is a ***** but if you pass it you find that the level of difficulty does increase very much to the point where you do a controller slam and pop in a different game. For example....Killer Rubber Duckies....they hit you and you lose a full bar of life instantly.

For those who are considering renting make sure you have a completely open schedule because you may want this game to occupy the entire days of which Wii Punch-Out would be rented for.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
randommaster said:
blipblop said:
randommaster said:
blipblop said:
nah it looks like fun for a while, think your gonna get bored by it quite fast.
maby fun as a party game or something
Party game? Only if you want a room full of drunken, frustrated guests.

Punch Out! was always meant to be a game about failure. The original arcade version, along with the NES port, sent you back to the start of the circuit when you failed. Now that you have handed over your quarters beforehand, you only need to start the current fight over. After the first few fights, you are EXPECTED to fail at least once before progressing.

Regenerating health meters and chest high walls have no place in Punch Out!, you cannot go toe to toe with your opponents, or they will crush you. The reward for winning is not saving the world, it's being able to show the cheatyface computer who's the boss.
well maby, I have never played punch out on arcade only on the NES.
and yes maby the saving system was crap but allmost every NES game had a shity saving system if non at all. and it did´t have anything to do with me puting quarters in my nintendo :)
anyway what I meant was this game probably is nothing more mediocre
but the 2player look´t ok, not good but ok. possible a nice little party game that you can drink some beers too and smack your friends faces in.
The save system was directly from the arcade game, which made you start back at the beginning so that you had to go through all the earlier fights before getting to where you were. That was purely for eating quarters, but the NES version retained it for whatever reason. I would have loved to hear about you trying to put quarters in your NES, though.

Anyways, the vs. mode does seem like it would make a good game to play while drunk. Almost as much as someone putting quarters into their NES. What I would suggest is that the two people face each other instead of the screen and simulate the game in the living room.
this is actually how you play the game in vs mode. and your apponent gets KO if you brake your wii nunchuk on your freinds face.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
blipblop said:
randommaster said:
really long conversation
this is actually how you play the game in vs mode. and your apponent gets KO if you brake your wii nunchuk on your freinds face.
I take it you've played Wii boxing like this to be so familliar with the scoring system?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Flying-Emu said:
Baneat said:
Your opinion on it is good enough for me. Beating Tyson (from punch-out) in IWBTG is the hardest piece of gaming I've ever played.
Just saying.

Punch Out!! isn't nearly as hard as Battletoads.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Seriously? $50 for a game that's been already made before? Wow. Just wow.

On the other hand, it makes sense. I just take Duck Hunt, put on some shiny graphics and and achievements, and there. Another blockbuster.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Eric the Orange said:
Flying-Emu said:
Baneat said:
Just saying.

Punch Out!! isn't nearly as hard as Battletoads.
To true. I'd say there are quite a few old Nintendo games harder than punch out. Strider, Mega Mans (cept 2), Bionic Commando, Contra, I could make a good long list.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I agree that there should have been other characters in the multiplayer mode, but I think they were trying to make this a little more even and balanced this time around.

Chozothebozo

Oct 22, 2008
Disco Kid was originally supposed to be Kid Quick from the Punch Out Arcade version.
This was going to work, until they realized Kid Quick never had a memorable personality, and boy did they give him one in the Wii version.