Review: Puzzle Quest 2

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
MetalDooley said:
The only negative thing so far for me is the blocking as some creatures do it far too frequently.I've had some fights where around 95% of my attacks have been blocked meaning the fights last way longer than they should

It's definitely an improvement though.The AI no longer seems to be quite as omniscient and is therefore unable to chain together ridiculously big combos like the first game
From what I can tell, this is just another layer of strategy added to the mix, and the game is balanced as such. You can counter it by either using defense-lowering spells or poison (the latter of which cannot be blocked and sucks at low levels but gets really painful later on)...or just massive amounts of damage.

It's nowhere near as annoying as spell resist, though.

DiscipleofSin

Sep 19, 2007
the assassin is kinda crap when you first start. once you get the spells that hit REALLY hard the class became quite enjoyable.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
So...XBLA or DS? Anyone know what differences (if any) there are? I'm tempted to get this for XBLA, but Deathspank comes out tomorrow...and then Limbo next week. Hrm.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
This game is fun times. Thanks for recommending I not wait on this, Susan! :)

richtaur

Aug 11, 2009
Meh, it's weak sauce compared to the original. There are tons of baffling design decisions, some crappy art and an awkward interface. I'd give it 3/5 at best.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
gibboss28 said:
i especially liked the fact the games setting was based on the Warlords games.
Reeally?? :O!!!

Which Warlords games do you refer to, because I've played the classic Warlords and Warlord II, and if it's based on those I may HAVE to buy this game just for nostalgia reason alone!

Course I'll probably download it anyways, seems to have a much similar premise to the MMO Puzzle Pirates, so whenever I get tired of the pirate setting or the whiny 5 year olds I can go play another puzzle game to waste err.... I mean enjoy my time playing =)

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
So, I've been playing it for a while now, and these are my impressions:
1) the core of the game is the same, and as such it's still very nice
2) there are some big flaws in this new installment, the first of which is the "dungeon floor" design, which means that you encounter the same kind of enemies on a floor (ex. goblins, orc, undead), making the game less varied
3) spell resistance is as annoying as it was in the first game, but now is more frequent
4) defense is so-so because it just prolongs the fights without adding to them much
5) loot is 99% useless: once you find a decent item for each slot (and armor is pretty indistinguishable at every level) and you upgrade it, you're set for life (a similar problem existed in Torchlight)
6) money starts piling up almost immediately, since buying stuff at shops is useless as per point 5
7) following 5 and 6, the loot minigame is useless in addition to being extremely annoying (and you can leave before you complete it to try again, which is kind of stupid)
8) the game is very easy but fights are still too long: playing as an Assassin I can easily dish out 40-50 dmg per spell AND chain them (doesn't scale with level/skills though), making other means of attack useless (skulls and poisons in the first place, but weapons mostly too), but since enemies have a lot of HP/defense it generally still takes a while to finish them, while they cannot touch me thanks to Stealth
9) all minigames are too easy, some points in intelligence and you'll have more turns that you could ever need; some also (prominently lockpicking) often run down to trial an error to get the right gems in the right spot
10) the minigame distribution is weird: up to the 4th floor, I've encontered the lockping and search ones a lot, disarm trap frequently and bashing and unlock spell just about twice each
11) all in all, the only minigame that's interesting it's the spell learning one, which in turn this time around only teaches spells you won't use, at least as an Assassins since your class spells all sinergize a LOT

Still liking it though.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Wolf Devastator said:
gibboss28 said:
i especially liked the fact the games setting was based on the Warlords games.
Reeally?? :O!!!

Which Warlords games do you refer to, because I've played the classic Warlords and Warlord II, and if it's based on those I may HAVE to buy this game just for nostalgia reason alone!

Course I'll probably download it anyways, seems to have a much similar premise to the MMO Puzzle Pirates, so whenever I get tired of the pirate setting or the whiny 5 year olds I can go play another puzzle game to waste err.... I mean enjoy my time playing =)
Refering to Warlords 3, I started playing it and started thinking "Hang on a minute, this stuff seems familiar", looked at the map and it dawned on me that it was the map from Warlords 3.

Yeah its a pretty fun game.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
lumenadducere said:
So...XBLA or DS? Anyone know what differences (if any) there are? I'm tempted to get this for XBLA, but Deathspank comes out tomorrow...and then Limbo next week. Hrm.
Well if it's similar to the first game then the only major difference will be the price.The XBLA version costs ?15.Expect to pay at least ?25 - ?30 for the DS version

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
When this beast finally makes it to the PS3, I will be a happy camper. It took its sweet time the first time around to go from xbox to ps3, and I'm hoping it's not nearly as bad this time. (Although, the ps3 installment apparently came packed with an expansion pack. So that's a bonus. :))

Ryan Machuga

Jul 8, 2010
Nice Review, I plan on picking this up once I finish Deathspank. Which came out today and is a lot of fun. Just the addiction was sooooo strong in the first one I'm not sure if I want to go back to that dark, puzzly place.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Review: Puzzle Quest 2

The game with the ridiculous premise and the ultra-addictive nature returns - and it's better this time.

Read Full Article
Curse you Susan, you just made me spend a few bucks on wildcoins to play puzzle quest again :S And now it took contol over me an I cant stop.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
Huh?

What's so addictive about this?

No offense, but it just looks like a puzzle game with RPG elements.

Like a mix of Luxor and Diablo. I really do fail to see why it's addictive.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
Boyninja616 said:
Huh?

You just named two addictive games :p

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
MrHero17 said:
Boyninja616 said:
Huh?

You just named two addictive games :p
Really? I've played both.

Diablo only got a lot of play time cos I didn't have many friends when I was 8, and Summer Holidays were LONG.

Luxor is just... crap.