Review: Resident Evil 5

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 5 has the flaws you've come to expect from the series, but it doesn't matter - you'll love playing it, anyway.

Read Full Article

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
I love your video segments.

Can't wait to play this. Tomorrow or I'll kill my vendor ;)

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Ahh your reviews are always well done, I will definatly check out res 5 to bad the couldn't hire actors with talent though.

Jul 9, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Ahh your reviews are always well done, I will definatly check out res 5 to bad the couldn't hire actors with talent though.
At this point, it's sort of their trademark.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
orannis62 said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
At this point, it's sort of their trademark.
I'm pretty sure if I ever played a Resident Evil game that had a thought provoking plot and meaningful dialogue I'd want my money back.

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
I played the demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. The zombies were sweet, as always, but the controls were so exceedingly bad and clunky I found it impossible to really enjoy the game.

Maybe I'm picky or something but I think I'll be sticking with L4D to fulfill my zombie-killing needs.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Hexadecimal16 said:
I played the demo and was thoroughly unimpressed. The zombies were sweet, as always, but the controls were so exceedingly bad and clunky I found it impossible to really enjoy the game.

Maybe I'm picky or something but I think I'll be sticking with L4D to fulfill my zombie-killing needs.
Left 4 Dead doesn't have ZOMBIE SHARKS though! I mean cmon, its a zombie and its a shark, how cool is that.

As a fan of RE4 I couldn't be happier with how this game came out. My only slight gripe is that they included a 'classic RE4 controls' option, but in that option the fire and reload buttons are switched from what they were in RE4! As a huge fan of RE4 who has played it through multiple times I found it a tad hard to get used to at first, but playing the demo has made the controls flow effortlessly for me, and I can't wait to put that experience to the test in the full length game.

I haven't been this excited for a game in... a long time :)

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I won't buy the game but at least your review supplement almost changed my mind.

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
Taerdin said:
Left 4 Dead doesn't have ZOMBIE SHARKS though! I mean cmon, its a zombie and its a shark, how cool is that.
That is pretty awesome, but L4D's control scheme doesn't make me sit there bewildered wondering what the hell the devs were thinking.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Hexadecimal16 said:
Taerdin said:
That is pretty awesome, but L4D's control scheme doesn't make me sit there bewildered wondering what the hell the devs were thinking.
I guess, but I mean its the source engine so obviously you've had experience with it...

If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it. Decrying a control scheme because it takes a little getting used to is somewhat silly imo :p

I have no problems playing RE5 at all if the demo is any indication. I'm actually glad they didn't stray too far from RE4 as my biggest fear was that they would and would fail at making it... how you say... good! RE4 is amazing and if the similarities between these two titles are any indication RE5 should be quite grand as well :)

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
Taerdin said:
I guess, but I mean its the source engine so obviously you've had experience with it...

If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it. Decrying a control scheme because it takes a little getting used to is somewhat silly imo :p
Well, there's a difference between a control scheme being foreign to me and a control scheme that feels so unintuitive that I don't even want to play the game to try and get used to it. It's unfortunate because it seems like a really fun game.

Again, maybe I'm just picky.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Taerdin said:
If you had played RE4 for more than a couple hours you would have no problems with RE5's control scheme, you would be used to it.
I guess I am the exception to that rule, because I loved playing RE4 on the Gamecube, but the 360 controls were frustrating me to no end. It could just be years of not being used to it, but I was having a lot of problems playing and felt like the game was limiting my enjoyment with the controls. I mean really why does it take Chris 1/2 an hour to turn while aiming, maybe I need to jack the sensitivity up?

I plan to give it another chance, but my first impressions were not so great. Watching Susan play while we captured video for the review helped, there were some nuances to the controls that I didn't figure out from playing the demo. Example, left thumbstick left and right movement become turns while running, instead of strafe. At first I thought you it was impossible to turn while running without the use of a third hand, you would need to be holding Left Trigger + A and trying to move the right thumbstick.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Making a survival horror game co-op seem counter productive to the sence of lonelyness that i'd expect a survival horror game to have.

stompythebeast

Orbital Drop Shock Trooper
May 6, 2008
what is it with ppl thinking that zombies eat brains? that was only one adaptation... jeez

i rather they eat my brains instead of biting my nipples off and turning me into a nipple-less flesh-eating monster