Review: Resident Evil 5

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Inverse Skies said:
As I said I haven't played it, just read a few other reviews who got annoyed at the ineptitude of the AI partner in inventory management. I think they had issues with ammo as well, and some other items. It was just interesting to see that Susan hadn't had a problem when a lot of other people did on the single player. The co-op apparently is fine.

I'll play it reasonably soon, so I'll judge it myself then.
I think it really comes down to personal preference and how independent you want Sheva to be. Personally, I didn't want her making any but the most basic of inventory decisions; I wanted to be in as much control as possible of what got used when. Other people might prefer her to be more autonomous, making decisions more like a human player would. If you're one of the latter group, then I can definitely see being frustrated with how she handles inventory. For all intents and purposes, she's just an extra set of pockets for you. She uses ammo for her gun, and healing items if you're hurt, but other than that, she doesn't really pay much attention to what's she's holding.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I think it really comes down to personal preference and how independent you want Sheva to be. Personally, I didn't want her making any but the most basic of inventory decisions; I wanted to be in as much control as possible of what got used when. Other people might prefer her to be more autonomous, making decisions more like a human player would. If you're one of the latter group, then I can definitely see being frustrated with how she handles inventory. For all intents and purposes, she's just an extra set of pockets for you. She uses ammo for her gun, and healing items if you're hurt, but other than that, she doesn't really pay much attention to what's she's holding.
Looks like you handled Sheva the right way then, leaving as little decisions up to her as possible. Prehaps that might be the only way to play single player and not grow incredibly annoyed - is to ensure she has as little control over the inventory as possible to stop her being useless with items?

Delicious

Jan 22, 2009
I'm currently loving this game, mainly due to the control scheme. I love the deliberate and cautious feel it has, and it really makes the game.

If you are struggling with it, you either a) need time to adjust or b) just plain suck.

Tip: Don't sit around aiming your weapon as four people close on you. Tap A and back and get the hell out of there. Never allow yourself to be cornered. Movement is more important than shooting, and distance is practically vital.

The inventory system works very well (as one that pauses the game would be hell in Co-op) and with practice makes it fairly easy to select, combine, and use items mid-fight (so long as you follow the tip above). My only gripe is that I seem to be unable to move items into the hotkey slots, but that is pretty minor considering it only takes about a second more to equip whatever it is I'm trying to equip.

And to those of you thinking "That second will get you killed", it won't so long as you aren't trying to hump your target at the same time you are digging around in your pockets.

And don't let Sheva have anything more than the leftovers - she is a pack mule. I personally just gave her a SMG and whatever ammo I can't carry. In fact due to an inventory mix up due to starting the single player game at Chapter 1-2, Sheva was without a weapon and I was able to stock up on, well, everything while taking little to no damage.

izual1

Jan 16, 2008
Based on the PS3 demo, I'm with ultimate chance on the AI; Shiva just didn't seem very smart, constantly standing directly in front of me, wasting ammo, and requiring babysitting. This was worsened by the inability to split piles of ammo so we couldn't both use the same type of gun before one of us would end up having no bullets and the other having them all.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Drake the Dragonheart said:
in that video, where the "zombies" actually driving vehicles? Ok so I think from least dangerous to worst, it goes zombie, flaming zombie, fast zombie, zombie coming at you while covered in killer bees, and now smart zombie. Didn't another resident evil feature zombie sharks? Although they might not have been zombies. But the zombie elephant in I think it might have been 3? That was a nightmare. I remember doing a zombie apocalypse tabletop RP using the White Wolf's World of Darkness, and one guy had his arm torn off by a zombie silverback gorilla.
Yep, the infected are still capable of just about anything they could do as ordinary humans; the new strain of Las Plagas was engineered to make them more formidable as opponents.
I was watching my two friends playing, and there were being held down by a chain gun, and I made the joke, "before too long they will be wearing Kevlar and driving tanks!"