Review: Resistance 2

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
tendo82 said:
Azzaevil said:
ok ok then did the reviwer have fun?
Good question. I really didn't have any fun playing this game. I definitely believe that derivative can be fun, but in my opinion this game is actually a step backwards in many ways and only derivative at best.

I briefly want to address the multiplayer portion of the game, which some people have mentioned. Multiplayer is always a tricky beast to approach. In an ideal world we'd review the single player campaign at release and the multiplayer campaign a few months later. Even for those who buy the game strictly for the multiplayer, the value of it won't necessarily be immediately clear.

For instance, if we look back to 2007, probably only a few of us could have predicted that COD4 was going to emerge as the dominant multiplayer experience in the face of Halo 3. 12 months later it's pretty clear to everyone. So in my written review(keeping in mind the video review is just a supplement) I tried to briefly address my initial impressions while providing a few qualified judgments. Obviously, even a week later, readers are going to have insights about the multiplayer that I just wouldn't have been able to make, given the earlier period in which I was playing.

Also know that R2 isn't a traditional FPS, have you played Ratchet and Clank games before?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
tendo82 said:
Azzaevil said:
Good question. I really didn't have any fun playing this game. I definitely believe that derivative can be fun, but in my opinion this game is actually a step backwards in many ways and only derivative at best.

I briefly want to address the multiplayer portion of the game, which some people have mentioned. Multiplayer is always a tricky beast to approach. In an ideal world we'd review the single player campaign at release and the multiplayer campaign a few months later. Even for those who buy the game strictly for the multiplayer, the value of it won't necessarily be immediately clear.

For instance, if we look back to 2007, probably only a few of us could have predicted that COD4 was going to emerge as the dominant multiplayer experience in the face of Halo 3. 12 months later it's pretty clear to everyone. So in my written review(keeping in mind the video review is just a supplement) I tried to briefly address my initial impressions while providing a few qualified judgments. Obviously, even a week later, readers are going to have insights about the multiplayer that I just wouldn't have been able to make, given the earlier period in which I was playing.
Alright, I'm fine with this statement. If you didn't have fun, you didn't have fun, to each his/her own or something like that. (though you didn't actually evaluate on the MP, just something about how MP is hard to qualify judgments on or something)

But I am wondering, did you play the first Resistance? Resistance 2 is definately a huge upgrade from its predecessor, but then again that's my HUMBLE opinion.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
tendo82:
You missed the fact that they took out the 'segmented regenerating' lifebar.

One of the things I always praised Resistance for.

Other than that, I wasn't planning on getting it for top-euros anyway. And you've just affirmed that I should wait for a price drop.

B33

Nov 19, 2008
James Raynor said:
tendo82 said:
Azzaevil said:

Also know that R2 isn't a traditional FPS, have you played Ratchet and Clank games before?
The reviewer, in question, did refer to the Ratchet and Clank games as a "template" sort of game (i.e. lazily put together)... So, no, I'd imagine he hasn't actually played any of the titles, as the accuracy of the previously mentioned statement doesn't particularly line up with the actual quality of the game.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I found this review to be full of crap. I watched a few minutes and gave up at the pure utter lies

1) The complaint about the corridors, honestly how long did you play the game for? The environments get huge/expansive and you're not being funneled down corridors the whole time.

2) Wasting the rockets/quicktime events. It's as much a quicktime event as every Zelda boss. Shoot the big guy in the mouth is not a quicktime event. Shoot the bridge above him to make it fall on him is not a quicktime event. (And are you incapable of counting? He was not 3 stories tall, he was over 10)

3) The background was not 2D. The devs flat out said this before. Every object above the cityscape even moved. You'd think the scale of the giant battles would have convinced you otherwise.

To those who used this review as an excuse not to buy the game, you missed out. For starters, did he even review multiplayer?

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
haruvister said:
James Raynor said:
"There's no strategic movement at work or incentive to use one weapon over another - its a straightforward run and gun."
He was obviously playing either a different game altogether, or played R2 on the easiest fucking difficulty he could choose.

I hate when assholes complain a game is too easy when they selected easy

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Syphonz said:
I think Resistance 2 was pretty good, not nearly as fun as the first, but still good. I think this review seems a little too intent on pointing out all the features of the game that have been in other games and not nearly enough on how it plays, weapons design, etc.
Because how it plays and weapon design, etc. has also already been in other games.
True, but think about your favorite movie. Odds are, some of the greatest scenes have been done before, in some way shape or form. Does that make it a bad movie? Of course not. Sure, alot of Resistance 2 has been done in other games. But it's still fun to do, regardless of who has done it first.

classyplatypus

Jan 22, 2009
This reviewer has it all wrong. Yes, Resistance 2 does take some stuff from other games, but it comes together in a way that makes it feel original. I'm surprised that the reviewer didn't really delve into some of the game's best parts like the awesome and massive scale, or the fantastic sixty player battles combined with great eight player co-op. It seems he just took a really quick look at this stuff because he (stupidly) didn't like the singleplayer.