Review: Rise of the Argonauts

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: Rise of the Argonauts

God of War meets Mass Effect? Not exactly ?

Read Full Article

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well I was considering it after RPGamer gave it top marks in story but this review pointed out some potential game breakers.

Anyway... is Susan going to be voicing all reviews from now on?

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Wow, I sort of had high hopes for this game, but that is because I love the story of Jason and the Argonauts. Consider it off my list. The fact that it's basically described here as "worse" than Mass Effect makes it the pinical of attrociousness.

I have similar hype for Dante's Inferno so let's just hope the same thing doesn't happen. *looks at EA in great anger*

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
The 4 hours I spent watching Jordan play this game were the worst 4 hours I have ever spent in the proximity of my Xbox. Even more so when I was informed that it was a bit less then 2 hours.

As someone who plays RPGs quite a bit, and is highly tolerant of cutscenes in general, this is not worthy of anyone who "iikes RPGs" or even likes talking to dialog trees. The RPG elements are more "talk to random people in a town where you can't use your weapons for 45 minutes and spam A until they shut up. Then watch their mouths keep moving after they finish talking. Then run for 5 minutes across the damn map to do it again. Repeat until something attacks you."

And the cutscenes are all in game, and usually of someone giving a speech while only moving their poorly synced mouth without any other part of their body/face.

As far as combat, while the finishers are fun to watch at first, there's only two per weapon. And that's it. You can do a normal attack or one of two finishers. You can also shield bash.

This game made me regret having a 360.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A shame - the tutorial that I played at PAX was genuinely entertaining, and I thought the combat and advancement systems really had promise. Which the review seems to confirm... it's just the *other* stuff that I didn't get to see that drags it down.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
CantFaketheFunk said:
A shame - the tutorial that I played at PAX was genuinely entertaining, and I thought the combat and advancement systems really had promise. Which the review seems to confirm... it's just the *other* stuff that I didn't get to see that drags it down.
You should borrow it and see just how fun it is. But only if you're willing to risk throwing your 360 through a wall.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I'm so disappointed. When I first saw that this was an RPG, I almost felt ecstatic for a breath of fresh air in the genre. The further away from the launch date of Baldur's Gate, and the less bearable RPGs become. Gothic 3 broke the series with a boring game, Fallout 3 was not the revolution in gaming everyone expected (or at least I expected after all the hype the series was given probably with good reason, but I wouldn't know), Mass Effect wasn't anything to write home about and Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zephir, was even less than a Sims expansion pack in terms of content and story.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Watching Jordan play and putting together the video made me reminiscent of the Summoner series, right down to the use of Iona for a location. Summoner 2 was much more to the point as an RPG, and had comparable graphics / cinematics to Argonauts in a convenient PS2 package.

Sorry Argonauts. Maybe if Jason could turn into monsters, I'd be more interested.

Claymorbmaster

Jan 30, 2008
They tried really hard to make the cutscenes the reviewer lauded be like the cutscene dialogs from Mass Effect. You can see the camera show allies in the background and/or scenes of interest. It just fell flat on its face though. Ive never liked the phrase "ram-rod stiff" but I think that describes how Jason and his interviewees stand while talking. I find it acceptable in Fallout (maybe im just used to it from Oblivion) because it was in first person. But when I can see the camera do a (slight) dynamic zoom in on a character standing nearly perfectly still, it just draws more attention to it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kross said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
You should borrow it and see just how fun it is. But only if you're willing to risk throwing your 360 through a wall.
I trust Jordan's judgment on the game, man :p No need to do that.

All I'm saying is that this confirms what I'd suspected - the stuff I'd seen at PAX was pretty competent, and the best part of the game. I just hadn't experienced the crap filler :p

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
I love this game, haven't finished it yet - the only bad thing I can come up with so far is that it's apparently a bit short. I also love Greek and Norse mythology, that may have something to do with it, but I like the cutscenes damnit!
I'll agree that it's not worth 60 euro, but there are very very few games that are.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the great review. I was really considering renting this from gamefly. But instead I'll just replay Kotor, and pretend its this game.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
Ronwue said:
I'm so disappointed. When I first saw that this was an RPG, I almost felt ecstatic for a breath of fresh air in the genre. The further away from the launch date of Baldur's Gate, and the less bearable RPGs become. Gothic 3 broke the series with a boring game, Fallout 3 was not the revolution in gaming everyone expected (or at least I expected after all the hype the series was given probably with good reason, but I wouldn't know), Mass Effect wasn't anything to write home about and Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zephir, was even less than a Sims expansion pack in terms of content and story.

"cough" kotor "cough"

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Well I was considering it after RPGamer gave it top marks in story but this review pointed out some potential game breakers.

Anyway... is Susan going to be voicing all reviews from now on?
Why not? She has an amazing voice (IMO).

On topic: When I first heard about this game I thought it would be interesting and I thought about buying it. I watched some of the reviews (I don't read reviews) and I'm glad I didn't bought the game.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Nivag said:
Wow, I sort of had high hopes for this game, but that is because I love the story of Jason and the Argonauts. Consider it off my list. The fact that it's basically described here as "worse" than Mass Effect makes it the pinical of attrociousness.

I have similar hype for Dante's Inferno so let's just hope the same thing doesn't happen. *looks at EA in great anger*
Did you just say Mass Effect sucked? I think I need some rest, I'm going into shock.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This makes me sad... I wanted this game to be awesome :\ I was looking forward to it for over a year.

I'm gonna go cry in the corner and force myself to weather the bitter tyrrany that is Spiderman: Web of Shadow's side missions.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
I was really looking forward to this game. Not since GTAIV have I been willing to go out and buy a game without reading reviews just becuase the idea was fresh for gaming and a genuine interest of mine. How could it fail? Gutted. But at least I've saved myself some money.

Shame.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Nivag said:

Did you just say Mass Effect sucked? I think I need some rest, I'm going into shock.
Sorry man, I'm a bit of an elitist :/ It's too much "lol check out tha graphix!" and not enough "I just won because I've got skill"