Review: Rise of the Argonauts

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Nivag said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Nivag said:
Wow, I sort of had high hopes for this game, but that is because I love the story of Jason and the Argonauts. Consider it off my list. The fact that it's basically described here as "worse" than Mass Effect makes it the pinical of attrociousness.

I have similar hype for Dante's Inferno so let's just hope the same thing doesn't happen. *looks at EA in great anger*
Did you just say Mass Effect sucked? I think I need some rest, I'm going into shock.
Sorry man, I'm a bit of an elitist :/ It's too much "lol check out tha graphix!" and not enough "I just won because I've got skill"
If you want a game with punishing difficulty that requires tons of skill, play another game. Sure, Mass Effect has multiple difficulty levels, but the enemies just get more powerful and your weapons do less. It takes longer, it isn't harder. Mass Effect is supposed to be an interactive space opera of sorts and it excels in that area. The graphics aren't the nicest on the 360, in fact they're average and the textures aren't as crisp as I would have liked, but that isn't the point of Mass Effect. It's supposed to put you in the middle of this expansive universe and let you save it how you want. Have you ever played Mass Effect? The whole thing from beginning to end? Because if you haven't, please do so before you say it isn't good. It isn't the greatest RPG ever, but it's up there.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
DonPauliani said:
oh, I do love the narrator for the video review.
Yeah, Susan's great. She posts here on the forums every so often.

As for the game, I heard about it once, and I was underwhelmed by it. So this review was no real shock to me.

Jul 9, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Nivag said:
Eipok Kruden said:
Nivag said:
Wow, I sort of had high hopes for this game, but that is because I love the story of Jason and the Argonauts. Consider it off my list. The fact that it's basically described here as "worse" than Mass Effect makes it the pinical of attrociousness.

I have similar hype for Dante's Inferno so let's just hope the same thing doesn't happen. *looks at EA in great anger*
Did you just say Mass Effect sucked? I think I need some rest, I'm going into shock.
Sorry man, I'm a bit of an elitist :/ It's too much "lol check out tha graphix!" and not enough "I just won because I've got skill"
If you want a game with punishing difficulty that requires tons of skill, play another game. Sure, Mass Effect has multiple difficulty levels, but the enemies just get more powerful and your weapons do less. It takes longer, it isn't harder. Mass Effect is supposed to be an interactive space opera of sorts and it excels in that area. The graphics aren't the nicest on the 360, in fact they're average and the textures aren't as crisp as I would have liked, but that isn't the point of Mass Effect. It's supposed to put you in the middle of this expansive universe and let you save it how you want. Have you ever played Mass Effect? The whole thing from beginning to end? Because if you haven't, please do so before you say it isn't good. It isn't the greatest RPG ever, but it's up there.
Yeah, I agree. I'm not much of an RPG gamer, I mean, unless you count Bioshock, the only RPGs I've played and enjoyed were ME and KotOR, so maybe my opinion isn't so pure, but I consider ME the standout game of 2007. Sure, the combat wasn't that fun (although it did feel cinematic, which I like), but the universe was just so realized, with so much backstory (yes, I actually got so engrossed that I read all the Codex entries) that I don't know how you can't like it. I also liked some of Bioware's social commentary, like "AI" being deemed racist, with "Synhetic" being seen as the PC alternative. That really made me laugh, because I can see that happening.

EDIT:The "I agree" part is aimed at the bolded part.

Powas

Dec 18, 2008
hem dazon 90 said:
Ronwue said:
I'm so disappointed. When I first saw that this was an RPG, I almost felt ecstatic for a breath of fresh air in the genre. The further away from the launch date of Baldur's Gate, and the less bearable RPGs become. Gothic 3 broke the series with a boring game, Fallout 3 was not the revolution in gaming everyone expected (or at least I expected after all the hype the series was given probably with good reason, but I wouldn't know), Mass Effect wasn't anything to write home about and Neverwinter Nights 2 Storm of Zephir, was even less than a Sims expansion pack in terms of content and story.

"cough" kotor "cough"
*cough* sucks *cough*
Seriously BioWare is the most unoriginal developer this shitty has planet has seen. Just check Baldurs Gate and you've seen everything they have to offer. Just looking at Dragon Age makes me puke, the most generic fantasy ever.
Obsidian on the other hand are awesome devs. Kotor 2 > Kotor 1 in terms of story, characters, atmosphere.
Yeah Gothic 3 sucked a bit but Piranha Bytes are making a new game that's coming out for Xbox 360 and PC - RISEN!

Powas

Dec 18, 2008
I'm smoking Avellone awesomeness. Sure, go and play PS: T or KotOR 2.
KotOR 2 was more mature than any BioWare games will ever be. There was no simple light of dark. Characters were interesting not the same copy pasted people from Baldurs Gate. They had deep plotlines. The main story wasn't just another "blah blah blah save the galaxy" it was centered around you, The Exile. Around the hunger for force. Too bad Obsidian was rushed by those f*ckheads better know as LucasArts.

Darth Nihilus > all other Darths.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Well admittedly I didn't play it through very far. The presentation was pretty bland though, I think I was mostly put off by the cookie-cutter residences. Places didn't have as much 'character' (whatever that means). Didn't really feel like I was in a world so much as a series of rooms that had inexplicable item chests everywhere.

Definitely seemed like a rush job.

But the story was actually worthwhile you say? Maybe I'll give it a second shot.

Powas

Dec 18, 2008
Well the plot is about YOU. Not about saving the world.
And yes they were really really rushed, most of the content was cut out. Check this. [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_content_from_Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II:_The_Sith_Lords]

I don't know if you'll like it, but I hope.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
As I read this, I found that Argonauts is just a mirror copy of the Beowulf game, or vice versa, I don't know. At least there are no nerve-shattering dialog trees in Beowulf. Huh, a budget game overtakes a genre AAA title? Has the world spun off its axis of what?