Review: Savage Moon

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Savage Moon

Tower defense meets Starship Troopers. What's not to love?

Read Full Article

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmmmm, actually sounds quite good. I think you've sold it to me Susan. This might be just the game to tide me over for a couple of weeks, until I can officially afford to buy a full new game.

LLORTREPUS

Jan 30, 2009
Wait, Don't tower defence games belong on the interwebs?
Interesting cross to a console, even if tower defence is basicly all the same. Gotta love Starship Troopers though.

demod

Feb 5, 2009
I bought this game a few days ago and it's actually surprisingly fun for a tower defense; however, it really is only for people who are somewhat frustration resistant IMHO.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Would you say that a person with Pixeljunk Monsters should bother, or leave it? Trying to make that decision myself.
Hmm...tough call...depends on how much you love tower defense games in general, I suppose. If you just dabble in them, then Monsters will probably keep you well satisfied.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Susan Arendt said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Would you say that a person with Pixeljunk Monsters should bother, or leave it? Trying to make that decision myself.
Hmm...tough call...depends on how much you love tower defense games in general, I suppose. If you just dabble in them, then Monsters will probably keep you well satisfied.
Is it less brutally difficult than Monsters? Or is that the standard for tower defense games and I just really suck?
I would say yes, less difficult than Monsters, because I didn't want to throw anything when I played it. I finished one level - the one I was talking about in the intro to the review - only because of a glitch in the AI that left an enormous super scorpion walking aimlessly in circles. I beat the level, but it wasn't an honest win, so I thoroughly plan on being it fair and square. Beating anything in Monsters was really more a sense of relief than anything else.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Hmmm, its strange, but I wanna play GemCraft now, for some reason. Okay, lets do that...

*goes off to Armorgames*

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I would say yes, less difficult than Monsters, because I didn't want to throw anything when I played it. I finished one level - the one I was talking about in the intro to the review - only because of a glitch in the AI that left an enormous super scorpion walking aimlessly in circles. I beat the level, but it wasn't an honest win, so I thoroughly plan on being it fair and square. Beating anything in Monsters was really more a sense of relief than anything else.
I cannot agree emphatically enough with every word in that post. Savage Moon is more fun for a whole lot longer than Monsters, and I LOVE Monsters (yes, even the old school, stupid hard version).

I played this game all last night (PSN release times are GMT, so US gets things at 8PM the date before release, generally), and it's very much like playing an updated version of the original Tower Defense in Starcraft. The updates would be the full 3D and the fully Starship Troopered settings. This version adds just enough newness to make the whole thing fun again, and with console friendly controls to boot.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
pyromcr said:
when will they stop making tower defense games???!!!
Never, which is good.

I wish they would create this game on more than one console though.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
You convinced me not to buy it, lest the Tower Defense Monkey on my back is woken from its slumber and I'll never do anything constructive in my life ever again.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I always liked tower defence games sence WC3 (I'm a statgy game junkie, real time or otherwise). Though like with any new genre that becomes popular waves and waves of knockoffs come out and you have to sort through them to see which ones got it right. This one looks to have done so. I'd say this looks to be the most graphicly advanced one I've seen.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Spacelord said:
You convinced me not to buy it, lest the Tower Defense Monkey on my back is woken from its slumber and I'll never do anything constructive in my life ever again.
That's why I didn't buy Worms on XBL.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Well geez... I've never played a tower defense game. And here I was thinking I had seen it all. Is there anything similar available on Xbox Live, perchance?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Clemenstation said:
Well geez... I've never played a tower defense game. And here I was thinking I had seen it all. Is there anything similar available on Xbox Live, perchance?
I don't own a 360, so I can't tell you if it's any good, but "Defense Grid: The Awakening" is a TD game for XBL and PC. Google has all your details. Hope this helps.