Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
Now it is just a "very good horror series that appeals to wide demographic" (aka shit).
How can something be "very good" and "shit"? Is it just because they tried to have an audience that's bigger than "just you"?

Damn them for deciding they want people to play their games.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
Chipperz said:
Fredrick2003 said:
Now it is just a "very good horror series that appeals to wide demographic" (aka shit).
How can something be "very good" and "shit"? Is it just because they tried to have an audience that's bigger than "just you"?

Damn them for deciding they want people to play their games.
I am mad because they...

No you know what, I am mad at one thing. The fact that the makers of something ended it and then some other unrelated jackass decided to just pick it up and fuck everything up, even going so far as to make a prequel to fuck up the beginning too.
Ah, cool. Fair enough, then!

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
This new team are idiots, they couldnt come up with any more crappy sequels so they rip off the original. Konami never should have sold it.

This sucks so much, interacting with other survivors, talk about killing the feeling of isolation and dread. IMBECILES.

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless. It doesn't help that this game has absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hill or its mythos, it just takes place in a normal town that happens to be called Silent Hill with characters that happen to share names with the characters of the first game. I feel like the only person who kinda hates this game [http://mangapunksai.com/site/silent-hill-shattered-memories/].

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
girl_in_background said:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.
Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.

MiNDiM

Sep 10, 2008
Apart from the latest Silent Hill game, the old DVD game (Dragon's Lair-like i.e. interactive movie) Tender Loving Care also tried to provide the player's psychological portrait via analyzing the decisions taken during the course of the game. Although it didn't actually simulate the very therapy session like this game.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
historybuff said:
girl_in_background said:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.
Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.
Silent Hill 5 doesn't exist please try again.
Uh...yes it does. Silent Hill 5 is Silent Hill: Homecoming

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
historybuff said:
Fredrick2003 said:
historybuff said:
girl_in_background said:

Silent Hill 5 doesn't exist please try again.
Uh...yes it does. Silent Hill 5 is Silent Hill: Homecoming
Does that mean Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 14?

Your logic sucks.

...are you really throwing a tantrum about this?

Okay, I'll just get this out of the way. You can look up all the citations on Wikipedia if you're really going to be so weird about it. Silent Hill Homecoming is the sixth installment in the Silent Hill survival horror video game series, developed by Foundation 9 Entertainment and Double Helix Games.[6] The game was announced on July 11, 2007 by Konami at their E3 press conference, and was originally entitled Silent Hill V.

You see, because the fifth installment was called Silent Hill: Origins and was considered a prequel to the first Silent Hill.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I think this is a step in the right direction in general for gaming. It's a nice move and it's quite creative. Of course, I haven't played it, so I may be slightly (extremely) wrong.

I'd say I'd buy it if I had a Wii, but if I had a Wii it would be like one out of maybe two games worth buying, so of course I'd buy it.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
MpSai said:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless. It doesn't help that this game has absolutely nothing to do with Silent Hill or its mythos, it just takes place in a normal town that happens to be called Silent Hill with characters that happen to share names with the characters of the first game. I feel like the only person who kinda hates this game [http://mangapunksai.com/site/silent-hill-shattered-memories/].
Wow. I actually appreciate this info. Thanks for talking about what really needs to be said.

Thanks man.

ladymatsuya

Jul 27, 2009
I absolutely loved this game. I haven't been this blown away by a game in a long time. And despite what some might say, the ending made me bawl like a baby. Maybe I'm just a Silent Hill fangirl who gets a little too attached to her characters, but still. This game had emotional weight like I haven't seen in a long time.
And I'm very sorry, but I'm so tired of hearing people whine about the chase sequences. Did they get frustrating? Yeah, sure. Did I throw the controller down in frustration? Yup, I did that too. But I don't see how it's any different than fighting a difficult boss that you have to level up to or run through previous areas to stock up ammo for, or going up against an illogical puzzle or fetch quest where you practically have to read the developer's mind to beat it without a walkthrough. Games are fun, but can also be frustrating. For me, a running sequence where escape is based on your directional skills and ability to pick up visual cues from your environment is better than a boss battle any day. Heck, I would be the happiest girl in the world if I got another game with sequences like this.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
I disagree that the Nightmare sequences were annoying. They gave me a feeling of "HOLY CRAP RUN RUN RUN", and once you figure out the right speed to yank the Wii Remote, you're totally fine.

RelexCryo said:
MpSai said:
Wow. I actually appreciate this info. Thanks for talking about what really needs to be said.

Thanks man.
I would not trust that review at all, honestly. The entire thing is complaining about everything, and the reviewer seemed to be going in expecting crap rather than anything else. If you can rent it and play it with an open mind, I completely recommend that.

EDIT: By the way, the game is a completely alternate universe from the original games, if that helps. It doesn't actually screw anything up, and in my opinion, the town has mystical powers just the same.

EDIT again: By the way... the graphics aren't terrible at all. Sure, they're not as good as if it'd been on, say, the 360 or PS3, but they aren't terrible by any means.