Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
wow that game actually sounds really annoying.
i might end up renting it though since i should play more horror games.

sleepyperson

Oct 2, 2009
I played and beat it.
I found this one to be a hell of a lot less frustrating then the old ones. Sure the chase parts are kinda annoying but its much better then being stuck on a puzzle in one of the old games walking in circles for a hour before looking it up.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Heh, this game got glowing recommendations over at Destructoid, shocking some of their user base. At least now no one can give this a low score with the complaint that "combat was clunky", and when they changed it, it still scored low because "combat was too easy, removing the element of desperation".

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
MpSai said:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless.
It has five different endings and supposedly it's hard for one individual to reach different ones due to the whole psyche deal (which tracks more than just your answers to the questionnaires).

Batfred

Nov 11, 2009
Good review Jordan Dream. This is the first of these on Escapist that I have read and although reading reviews by people whose subjectivity I have no point of reference to is not my thing, I found myself believing you because you seemed unprejudiced by first impressions and dare I say it sincere and honest.

Yeah I know that makes me come across as some kind of Jordan-Dream-fan-club-bender, but I think that good writing is an art that precious few reviewers have these days and if some thing is done well, it is worth complimenting.

Keep it up and I will definitely be taking the time to look for more of your reviews.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this on PSP/PS2 since i have no WII. I'm currently playing through Origins and i think it works really well on the PSP, this one might not translate too well though, since it seems to rely so heavily on the WII's unique control system... We shall see!

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
yersimapestis said:
MpSai said:
Even if you manage to struggle through the Nightmare sections and get to the end, the ending is so retarded that it creates a plethora of plotholes and makes the whole game more or less meaningless.
how the hell does that create plot holes!? seriously give me one plot hole.
I don't want to elaborate due to spoilers but let me just say: iPhones did not exist 18 years ago.

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
KDR_11k said:
MpSai said:
It has five different endings and supposedly it's hard for one individual to reach different ones due to the whole psyche deal (which tracks more than just your answers to the questionnaires).
The base ending plot-twist is still the same even with the different variations that come after it.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
So wait, in all of the comments I've seen there was only one that mentioned combat;

Syntax Error said:
Heh, this game got glowing recommendations over at Destructoid, shocking some of their user base. At least now no one can give this a low score with the complaint that "combat was clunky", and when they changed it, it still scored low because "combat was too easy, removing the element of desperation".
But I want to clarify because no one commented on it yet and I've only heard Jordan say in the review, "Without weapons of any kind you're pretty much defenseless.", does that mean there are no weapons in this game save for the defensive items and environmental interactions that slow the nightmare citizens of Silent Hill?

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Cosplay Horatio said:
So wait, in all of the comments I've seen there was only one that mentioned combat;

Syntax Error said:
But I want to clarify because no one commented on it yet and I've only heard Jordan say in the review, "Without weapons of any kind you're pretty much defenseless.", does that mean there are no weapons in this game save for the defensive items and environmental interactions that slow the nightmare citizens of Silent Hill?
Shattered Memories was a reimagining of the first game. It also didn't feature combat right from the first preview I've seen of it. Like I said, from 1-4, reviews complained about clunky combat. Then when Homecoming rolled in, complaints became "combat was too easy" (on top of being it "not Silent Hill"). I'm beginning to think this game is a way to address those complaints.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Syntax Error said:
Cosplay Horatio said:

Syntax Error said:
Shattered Memories was a reimagining of the first game. It also didn't feature combat right from the first preview I've seen of it. Like I said, from 1-4, reviews complained about clunky combat. Then when Homecoming rolled in, complaints became "combat was too easy" (on top of being it "not Silent Hill"). I'm beginning to think this game is a way to address those complaints.
I understand now. Thanks very much Syntax.

MpSai

Jun 25, 2008
yersimapestis said:
MpSai said:
yersimapestis said:
MpSai said:
how the hell does that create plot holes!? seriously give me one plot hole.
I don't want to elaborate due to spoilers but let me just say: iPhones did not exist 18 years ago.
i dont believe they ever said a specific year, besides why does that matter? thats not a plot hole
The school record says she was born in 1984, its set in the present time. The ending makes him having the phone make no sense in the context of the plot. It can't be an old memory, and who would think up such a detail in their delusions? And that isn't really the only problem but again I don't want to be spoiler McGee here.

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
Honestly I thought Silent Hill Shattered Memories was a great game with a great story and a huge twist at the end. I can't wait to see Yahtzee's review of it though because I am sure he will hate it :D

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
historybuff said:
Fredrick2003 said:
historybuff said:
Fredrick2003 said:
historybuff said:
girl_in_background said:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.
Just wanted to say, your avatar is cute. And, y'know, high-five, fellow APH fan.

Anyway, I really love Silent Hill. Well, I love 1-3 and though 5 was okay and hated 4. So I am predisposed to thinking this one will suck because SH1 does not need a retelling. And adding all these gimmicks is unnecessary. And I don't own a Wii and don't plan to buy one. But who knows, maybe it will surprise me. But I don't really think it will.
Silent Hill 5 doesn't exist please try again.
Uh...yes it does. Silent Hill 5 is Silent Hill: Homecoming
Does that mean Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 14?

Your logic sucks.

...are you really throwing a tantrum about this?

Okay, I'll just get this out of the way. You can look up all the citations on Wikipedia if you're really going to be so weird about it. Silent Hill Homecoming is the sixth installment in the Silent Hill survival horror video game series, developed by Foundation 9 Entertainment and Double Helix Games.[6] The game was announced on July 11, 2007 by Konami at their E3 press conference, and was originally entitled Silent Hill V.

You see, because the fifth installment was called Silent Hill: Origins and was considered a prequel to the first Silent Hill.
It was originally titled Silent Hill V.

And then they changed it, so it was not released under that name.

A game titled Silent Hill V/Silent Hill 5 does not exist at this moment.
wow dude, just.... wow...