Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

It's cheaper than seeing a real therapist, but something tells me it's not as effective, either.

Read Full Article

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
let me use my psychic abilities to paraphrase Yahtzees up coming review on this game.

"would be decent but let down by the fact that it's on the Wii"

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
let me use my psychic abilities to paraphrase Yahtzees up coming review on this game.

"would be decent but let down by the fact that it's on the Wii"
Let me rephrase that "Not what I liked about Silent Hill and it's on the Wii..."

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Sounds to me like the therapist is from the Freudian school. Given the transitions in Silent Hill between the real world and a shadowy one, a Jungian therapist might be more helpful.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
The nightmare scenes can be annoying, if you can't get a quick read of map during a chase. Of course, if they are right on your ass you hardly have time to look at the phone, but if you can get some distance or to a flare, you can get your barings and aim for the general direction you need. The important doorways are shown on the map, so if you can keep yourself moving in the direction of those doorways, you'll find your way to the checkpoint eventually.

Parts I dreaded were when the solution to the nightmare puzzles required you to go back into the Raw shock infected areas for objectives or clues. Sure you get your health back, but I just escaped those bastards. I don't want to give them a second shot at me.

The psych profiling is a great idea. I love the idea of a linear game morphing to the personality of the player. It can give a much more real and immersive feel to the story. It also makes it interesting to read the sort of differences other people had in the game. Where I had clockwork looking Raw shocks by the end of the game, some people had feminine Raw shocks chasing them.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
So the ice and snow thing from the ads wasn't a gimic? Crap.
I lived for six years in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where winter lasts at least 5 months. Once you've lived through a few winters up there, you lose any dread of the cold.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I just started playing this a few days back it's not bad but the chase scenes are more confusing than scary...

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's review of this game, but don't the Australians have to wait til February for their release? I hope he's the type to import.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
If Silent Hill hadn't lost me roughly around half way through number 4 I might have bothered renting this one.
Good review though, interesting read.

haaxist

Sep 21, 2009
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Phoneing people? Text Messages!? GPS!?!?

...Ok, I like the GPS idea, but...Silent Hill is about, or at least, it used to be about, been alone, the dread of feeling of been in a town, and knowing that it is F***ing with your head.

I like the concept, and, I might rent it, just to say I have played it. I like the idea of the in game therapist, thats kinda neat. Otherwise...Silent Hill tradition...dodgy.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
girl_in_background said:
So I know it's for the Wii, but does anybody have any idea when the PS2 version comes out? Because I know there is one, I just don't know the date for it.
I believe it's slated for late January or early February. But if you're interested in the game, I'd suggest the Wii version.

haaxist

Sep 21, 2009
DrDeath3191 said:
girl_in_background said:
I believe it's slated for late January or early February. But if you're interested in the game, I'd suggest the Wii version.
I know, it's probably infinately better, but I don't own a Wii. And from what I've heard about Wii games, if I bought a Wii I would only have that one game to play on it. I am the type of person to do something like that, but I'll probably hold out for a PS3 or 360.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Jaredin said:

...Ok, I like the GPS idea, but...Silent Hill is about, or at least, it used to be about, been alone, the dread of feeling of been in a town, and knowing that it is F***ing with your head.

I like the concept, and, I might rent it, just to say I have played it. I like the idea of the in game therapist, thats kinda neat. Otherwise...Silent Hill tradition...dodgy.
The first Silent Hill, which this game is recreating, has several additional characters that you interacted with. From what I saw during the capture, you are still very much alone during the Nightmare sections though.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
girl_in_background said:
DrDeath3191 said:
girl_in_background said:
I know, it's probably infinately better, but I don't own a Wii. And from what I've heard about Wii games, if I bought a Wii I would only have that one game to play on it. I am the type of person to do something like that, but I'll probably hold out for a PS3 or 360.
Wii seems to be a common place for horror games. In addition to this, there's Cursed Mountain, which takes place in the Himalayan Mountains, Fatal Frame IV (if they ever bother to get it translated), the Calling and several others I'm sure I've forgotten. So if you're into that, you might want to reconsider your position.

bickster

Jan 16, 2009
Jaredin said:

I believe you phone/text those few people you meet in the town.

flabslapper

Sep 24, 2009
I had a similar experience with the opening questions, except a girl that I'm trying to get with was watching me play, "Ever cheated on someone"

My reaction basically told her what the answer was

I guess games are more important to me than woman...AS THEY SHOULD BE lol

oh and let me just add that the only other SH game I played was 2, this game isn't nearly as good, but Shattered Memories is great and I think it's more worthy of a buy...for like $30 because let's be reasonable, if I didn't have a $30 gift card for Best Buy I wouldn't have been so quick to get it after being burned by so many other games on the Wii (Alone in the Dark I'd kill you if you were a person!)

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
This review should have a massive - Rent Only - banner scrolling over it. That's the vibe I got and considering it's Silent Hill and 2 is one of my top ten I think I may.