Review: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Anyone else notice that all those bosses are all exact copies of bosses from previous sonic games?

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
BlueHighwind said:
Why exactly is this NOT on the DS? This title is perfect for a handheld.
That's a good question, actually. Probably to compensate for the exclusivity of Sonic Rush (and Adventure) on the DS.

archvile93 said:
Anyone else notice that all those bosses are all exact copies of bosses from previous sonic games?
They're not EXACTLY the same, but the similarity of each boss fight compared to those of the original Sonic games is what Dimps was going for: a retro feel, so that fans could feel like they were playing a Genesis title over again but with minor twists to keep them on their toes.

eightbitsprite

Oct 4, 2010
Lord Xtheth said:
Wait... the review and posts make this sound like there's only 3 or 4 levels... and its STILL 1200 points?! thats something like $15 a pop. Granted if there are only 3 episodes, it will come out to $45 which is a good price for a new game, but honestly $15 for 4 levels doesn't quite cut it for me.
I don't think I'm getting Sonic 4 at all
That's what it sounds like, yeah, but each of the 'levels' they're talking about have 4 acts each. And each act is a level. So it sounds like a better deal now, right? :D

I'm not going to get caught up in the argument about this game. Just wanted to clarify something.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
The thing I liked the most about the Sonic games was the music. I'm sure a lot of people are going to hate on me for that, but I liked it.

Feb 13, 2010
baaah! its not dr. eggman its dr. robotnick. sorry that was just bugging me, it would be like caller bowser... um i dont know..... dinoshell or some thing lol

Stuntkid

Cyberdemon
Oct 6, 2010
Here's my two cents.

Is it a great game? Yes.

But is it worthy of being the sucessor to 3&K? It's hard to say.

Don't get me wrong, this is the first time Sonic Team has done something right in a looooonnng time, and this game is great in it's own right. But let's just pretend that the game was for the megadrive. PHYSICS ASIDE Sure the graphics would look great and the homing attack will work wonders, but I would seriously doubtthat anyone will think it's that good. Sonic 3&K is my most favorite sonic game of all time, and people seem to forget what new things it brought to the table (sonic's Instashield/Barrier powers for example) and as for Sonic 4, Barely anything new and innovative was introduced. I know alot have happened inbetween Sonic 3 and 4, resulting in very little wiggle room in terms of scamatics (which kind of lowered my expectations a bit), but I was expecting something spectacular. I was suprised how much was rehashed in this game. For example, the special stages came straight out of sonic 1. Now, I know that Sega is experimenting in the first installment and don't want to try anything new, yet. But, this seems more like Sonic Nostalgia other than Sonic 4. Even most of the Eggman battles were rehashed straight from sonic 1&2.

Now I heard that SEGA searched the forums of popular sonic fansite to see what would they would want in a Sonic game. That's the problem. OF COURSE they would want another sonic 2. The thing is that most of the time, fanboys don't know what they want (yes, I'm aware that I'm talking about myself in this matter), they look back at something relevant that they liked and they want more of that. Having more of the same thing does not a good sequal make. Do you think after sonic 1, the fans are like, "This game is good, but do you know what would make the game better? If sonic had a sidekick, who is a faox with two tails, and who can fly!" ? Of course fanboys won't say that. Even though Tails was useless in Sonic 2, he still was a great addition to the franchise and SEGA made it even better when you were able to control him in Sonic 3 and he could discover differ paths in the level.

I'm just rambling on, here.

But, basically, although I don't think it's nearly as good as the first three, it's still a good game. But with four stages with most of them being rehashes, and for $15? Though I played it on my friend's wii, should I download it myself?

I know going back to the fundementals is a good remedy for these shitty sonic games, but releasing a copy of those games will not bring Sonic back to his former glory. Nowadays, I just think people are getting desparate.