Review: Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
LordLoudmouth said:
Dead pool aint a villian he is just.....
an enourmus dick?
The Ultimate Deadpool from the game is a murderous tyrannical racist without any redeeming factors. He is completely and unrepentantly evil.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Wadey_Wilson_%28Earth-1610%29

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
dududf said:

I'd pay for a Dead pool TV show.

I may actually watch TV for it.
Sadly, it's Ultimate Deadpool. Somewhat different character. Much more villainous, much less entertaining.

LordLoudmouth

Dec 29, 2009
Pseudonym2 said:
LordLoudmouth said:
an enourmus dick?
The Ultimate Deadpool from the game is a murderous tyrannical racist without any redeeming factors. He is completely and unrepentantly evil.

aint he that in the normal too?

EvilYoshi

Aug 9, 2010
Whatever, Funk,

From the clips I saw from your video review I thought the game looked and played very well, despite all those things you said.

I'm not even sure if your review was negative or not. You gave a negative impression of the game but I can't quote you on anything specific. Hmmmm, this seems to be a recurring situation in video-game reviews.

Why can't critics give a personal opinion of video games?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
*sigh* They keep trying to create a great rather than very good experience (as seen with Spiderman 2) with spidy and they keep failing.

Honestly I'm sick of Marvel in general. They fucked up the only great part of their comic book empire left by rebooting the already rebooted by nature Ultimate Universe, they haven't have a really great movie since Iron Man and they haven't had a great game either since Spiderman 2 WAY back in the fabric of time.

I want to love Marvel, and in concept at least they seem like the better superhero brand to support than DC, but damn the best I've seen from them in the last five or more years hasn't been anything approaching great, or even good.

Pseudonym2 said:
LordLoudmouth said:
an enourmus dick?

The ultimate universe has been rebooted since his appearance in Ultimate Spiderman or Ulimate X-men (one of the two, the volumn used had both Spidey and the Xmen in it so I forget which one). He may be completely different in the rebooted Ultimate universe, at least he seems to be more like his original Marvel sense in this clip.

The Ultimate Deadpool feels to me like one of the few areas where the Ultimate universe stumbled. He worked as a one time villain I guess. But he wasn't the merc with a mouth that's for sure, he was a racist, mutant hating shape shifting bastard.

Slimyjim666

Jun 29, 2009
I've played the game, it is repetitive and has a bad storyline, but fuck it's a spiderman game that puts in different gameplay mechanics and honestly the noir levels are the best. Being able to sit two feet above a baddies head waiting for someone else to stop looking at him and then making your move feels so good, I find it better then arkham asylum

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EvilYoshi said:
Whatever, Funk,

From the clips I saw from your video review I thought the game looked and played very well, despite all those things you said.

I'm not even sure if your review was negative or not. You gave a negative impression of the game but I can't quote you on anything specific. Hmmmm, this seems to be a recurring situation in video-game reviews.

Why can't critics give a personal opinion of video games?
The review was my personal opinion.

And yes, in a 4 minute video, the game does look nice (graphically it's fantastic) and played well (the combat is fluid and mashingly entertaining). The main problem is repetition; things that are fun cease to be fun when you've been doing them ad nauseum for the past six hours.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
HentMas said:
ok... i just forgot everything that was said about that game or wathever

OMG A DEADPOOL TV SHOW!!! WHY WONT THEY MAKE A GAME ABOUT HIM, OR AT LEAST A DESENT MOVIE, DEAR GOD HE IS THE COOLEST GUY EVER!!! [/fanboy]

oh! a new spidy show, lets see the video...

*sees the video*

OMG A DEADPOOL TV SHOW!!! WHY WONT THEY MAKE A GAME ABOUT HIM, OR AT LEAST A DESENT MOVIE, DEAR GOD HE IS THE COOLEST GUY EVER!!! [/fanboy]

what?? oh! a new spidy game!! lets see the video!!!...
Spider man, amazing, yup, venom suit, cool,Noir intriguing ...Hmmm hmm hmmmm credits- DEADPOOL! ZOMG! Whos Spidey-man again? God I would buy they game just to see him....And Neil Patrick Harris >.<

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
First let me state that I'm not a huge Spider-Man fan. I like the character, but I never followed the comics or TV shows regularly and prefer the X-Men or Batman as my superheroic drug of choice. As such, know that my viewpoint is definitely not 'foaming fanboy.'

Personally, I loved the game. Yes, the combat can be repetitive, but frankly I've yet to meet a game where it isn't. Even FPS games devolve into 'find cover, duck, pop up and fire, move to new cover.' Heck, I noticed that one of my favorite games of recent years (Dead Space) is even pretty much 'cut off leg, cut off arm, cut off head, move on to next creature' save for boss fights. As such, I can't hold this game's combat against it. Indeed, for whatever faults you may place on it, the combat is very fluid and acrobatic as it should be for the Spider.

I enjoyed the storyline, which seemed very classic comic book. The story, however, is meant to have a sense of urgency to it and a definite direction. This is NOT open-world, nor was it intended to be. As such, comparing it to an open world game like Spider-Man 2 is unfair. If the story arc and design don't need open world, why hold that against it? For all of Arkham Asylum's acclaim (since that's the other game everyone is comparing this with), it was a railroaded plot and game as well. And let's be honest, if you're comparing every new release to fond memories of a decade old game you once loved, the memory's going to seem like the better deal and every new release will be a disappointment.

Atmosphere was done very well. Young Peter (Ultimate) and his frustrations and kid-style sense of humor, Miguel (2099) and his mildly paranoid anti-corporate focus, Noir's pulp detective based gritty realism and shadowy vendettas, and standard Peter's quippy sarcasm all come through not only through the voice acting but through the approach taken to level design. Does Noir feel similar to Batman by utilizing stealth and having kind of a grim vigilante edge to it? Yes... but really, how is that any different from any pulp inspired super from the Shadow to the modern Batman? Personally I found myself looking forward to the Noir sections as kind of a change of pace to break up the more in-your-face brawling style of the less subtle Spider-Men.

I see this all as a matter of taste. While I respect Funk's opinion, I seem to have walked away from this with a completely different sensation. I went into this game looking for a good story with the great one-liners and acrobatic grace one expects of Spidey and his villains, and was not disappointed. The plot was decent comic-book cheese, the voice acting well done throughout, and the villains weren't necessarily the obvious choices one would make for a Spider-Man game. The only thing that annoyed me? Stan Lee's narration at the chapter breaks. All due respect, but there's a limit on how much cheese you need and with his carnival hawker method of self-referential narration Stan kind of pushed it a bit.

All in all, I'd give this one four stars. While it doesn't break the mold, it's a fine bit of amusement and I don't regret the expenditure.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
John Funk said:
The main problem is repetition; things that are fun cease to be fun when you've been doing them ad nauseum for the past six hours.
Which is why God invented breaks. Kidding. Being an avid Spidey fan, I cannot say the game is bad. I simply can't. It is a throwback to the PSone Spiderman 1 and 2 only with more Spidermen, more costumes, levels, better voice-acting and trophies. The only thing that bothered me was the repeating punch-lines.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
Looks like a fun game but i've never been that much of a spiderman fan so I won't get it. Though i'd be lying if I said the review didn't sway even a little. However is there a cold going around the office? First Susan, (see PVZ review) and now you.

theshadowcult

Dec 1, 2009
Man, dead pool is so awesome, i really hated how they fu... screwed him up in that atrocious wolverine movie...

Anyway, as for the game... why would they make it 2099, when every other marvel hero has a 2040 version... seems like a strange choice, i guess it works though, but i have never read it.