Review: Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The one thing I disliked about Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions is how repetitive the missions are. You fight boss, boss runs away, chase him/her, save civilians, beat up bad guys, save more civilians, beat up more bad guys, and then get to a fun boss end level boss fight.

I want to see a superhero game where you spend 50% of the game as the superhero fighting villains. The other 50% of the game should be the hero trying to live their life outside of their superhero costume.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Why is it that nowadays reviewers will only like a game when it's trying to reinvent the wheel? I, for one, was insanely happy to finally see another Spidey game that isn't a sandbox. It's a matter of opinion, I know, but to me tight level design will always be superior to open world gameplay. Remember that Spidey game from the PS1 era and how much fun it was? This game feels like a return to form.

By the way, to anyone who cares, the challanges in every level help you get the most out of the gameplay (as opposed to just pursuing the boss fights), there are plenty of nice bonus suits, and the voice acting and writing in the entire game are nothing short of amazing.

This game is at least a great rental, and to anyone who likes Spidey the decision whether or not to shell out your money for it (if not now, then for sure once the first price drop hits) should be a no-brainer.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I had quite a bit of fun with Shattered Dimensions. I like what Marvel did on their end for this game. They created 3 new characters for 2 dead comic books(Sorry 2099 and Noir). It's not something I would have expected them to do.

The game has a distinct visual style to it. Each level is created with its own theme to it. The game itself is broken up into 3 acts, each act containing a level for each spider to get a fragment in. Here's a sample from what I took as good about either a specific level, or a general vibe with each Spidey.

Doctor Octopus' level was rather interesting because it felt both gigantic and claustrophobic at the same time. It actually takes talent to do that. It had bright visuals, clever cut scene video jokes(meh), and a couple of surprises.

The visual style in Noir is interesting, because it's normally black and white, unless you're in light, when it becomes more sepia colored. I like how that mechanic works. The actual takedown method he uses needs some work though.

Deadpool's level is quite impressive. A giant collection of oil rigs, enabling for all kinds of tricks, traps(deadpool punching bags with explosives), flame traps, cameras, and then some. The level felt open almost all the time, and the commentary from Deadpool abut the state of the Ultimate Universe is a great in joke(As soon as he mentioned the Ultimate Spider Clone I started laughing for a good couple of minutes while my roommates just looked at me like I was crazy). I however, can only take Deadpool in moderation.

Now that I think about it, the Amazing Spider-Man's levels were the most alike to each other, at least in terms of primary color(brown). They each had a unique feel to them, but they all had a lot of brown to them. Most of them had a fitting theme.

The story itself is some Golden Age hero comic action. Save the world, because we can't do it. The voice acting was done well, but there wasn't enough of it. I don't care that you break pots spider man, stop telling me this.

Yeah, I'm kind of biased as a bit of a fan of a couple of the spider man comics, but I didn't like the way the controls worked for some of the game. The fistacuffs sections were a bit disorienting at first, but I got used to them. The game switching from free form to locked camera without really changing scenes irked me a ton, but that's how it is sometimes.

This game is not work 60 bucks, but it's not a horrible game. It's just a bit average is all. I would probably be a bit happier if I had picked it up at about the 40 to 50 dollar range. It's not so bad you should avoid it, but it doesn't feel like a 60 dollar game.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
You probably could have said "Oh yeah, it's got deadpool in it" and sold like 20 copies right there

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
HentMas said:
ok... i just forgot everything that was said about that game or wathever

OMG A DEADPOOL TV SHOW!!! WHY WONT THEY MAKE A GAME ABOUT HIM, OR AT LEAST A DESENT MOVIE, DEAR GOD HE IS THE COOLEST GUY EVER!!! [/fanboy]

oh! a new spidy show, lets see the video...

*sees the video*

OMG A DEADPOOL TV SHOW!!! WHY WONT THEY MAKE A GAME ABOUT HIM, OR AT LEAST A DESENT MOVIE, DEAR GOD HE IS THE COOLEST GUY EVER!!! [/fanboy]

what?? oh! a new spidy game!! lets see the video!!!...
*Slap

JUST READ THE REVIEW, DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO.

You been repeating yourself for day's... how long has it been since you shaved?

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
CmRet said:
I'm a huge Spider Man fan but after seeing this I don't think I wanna pick up the game. Spidey 2099 looked cool and so did Noir but now I just don't want it any more. And I am a huge Spider Man fan.
Buddy, your loss. This is the best game with the web-head since Ultimate Spiderman. Do not let reviews get to you. Your tastes are yours and yours alone.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
HentMas said:
ok... i just forgot everything that was said about that game or wathever

oh! a new spidy show, lets see the video...

*sees the video*

what?? oh! a new spidy game!! lets see the video!!!...
*Slap

JUST READ THE REVIEW, DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO.

You been repeating yourself for day's... how long has it been since you shaved?
*emerges from a big wave of beard*

huh??, ah, ok...

mmm... the review seems kind of cool, after reading about noir i looked into him trough the webs and i was disapointed to see that the game didn´t took his "whole" character, wich sounds better and better every time i read about him, the only thing this game seems to... "drop the ball" with variety, the button mashing technique is well played and a good list of combos could help a lot!

it seems this game is NOT aimed at fans, but at Kids, about 10-15 years old, and i particularly dont enjoy having the potential of a game dumbed down because of its "audience"

after all, that is my oppinion

mmm... now lets watch the video!!...

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
CmRet said:
How was Noir?
It is a very pleasant break from the other dimensions since the only way you can defeat thugs is by stealth takedowns. You cannot knock them out once you are spotted and you have to plan your aproach carefully. It has some great trivia about Noir that I didn't know (like, what happened to Uncle Ben) and Spidey sounded more threatening than usual. The only problem was the fact that you could not wall crawl everywhere and that the controls had the tendency of reversing. Not something I ain't used to.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
2:55 omgsh they remembered black cat existed!!! roflmao. Okay if nothing I'll make my dad buy it for me just to see if i cant swing onto one of those things for roflmaos.

and oh shi- deadpool.

why isnt there a deadpool game coming out? Hes the awesomeest ever...in fact no dont make a game for him, that would actually be the chance to fuck everything about deadpool up. I'd rather fight his fans :p

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
My fav bit of that whole review was the Deadpool tc show at the end, why you may ask? Mostly cos I'm not to pushed on Spiderman games and secondly I'm a huge Deadpool fan.

-M

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
I don't understand - they did Spiderman RIGHT in "Spiderman 2", and they don't seem to have been able to do it right again.