Review: Splinter Cell: Conviction

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
3,240
0
0
Review: Splinter Cell: Conviction

Forget Jason, Jack, and James. For real spy thrills, Sam is your man.

Read Full Article
 

Nincompoop

New member
May 24, 2009
1,035
0
0
Good review. However, I don't find it better that moves get simpler. The simpler something gets, the lest possibilities there are.
The game sounds awesome nevertheless.
 

Abedeus

New member
Sep 14, 2008
7,412
0
0
Too bad this is, like Assassin's Creed 2, a game I won't ever buy unless they remove DRM.
 

Tonimata

New member
Jul 21, 2008
1,890
0
0
Abedeus said:
Too bad this is, like Assassin's Creed 2, a game I won't ever buy unless they remove DRM.
Exactly my impression, specially when he started going on with the "contextual button" premise. Then again, other games have done that before (and some pretty well (remember Kirby Air Ride only ever asked you to press A), so like Russ says, "All's fair in war".
 

T-Bone24

New member
Dec 29, 2008
2,339
0
0
I love the game, however Fisher seems to have gotten younger since Double Agent. hard to believe he's in his fifties.
 

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
5,630
0
0
Its nice to see they have improved some of the things about the old which really put me off. I may actually look back into the Francise once more!
 

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
5,134
0
0
Looks like fun.

Question: Since I only played the first two games, do I need to play the other installments before this one or is there a better/faster way to brush up on the backstory?
 

VulakAerr

New member
Mar 31, 2010
512
0
0
I played the first SC and ran out of patience for it. This one has me gripped again though. Excellent re-imagining of the gameplay. Raw skill is still rewarded but it's so much more accessible at the same time. Bravo Ubisoft.
 

Nevyrmoore

New member
Aug 13, 2009
783
0
0
From the looks of it, it's a good game. But honestly? I don't think it's a good Splinter Cell game. But this is probably just me enjoying Splinter Cell 1-3 more, where you can sneak your way through the entire game without having to kill or knock out anyone.

Exceptions for the action sections in 1.
 

dochmbi

New member
Sep 15, 2008
753
0
0
I'll be getting this for PC, sure hope it has auto-aim, cause I won't be able to use the mouse for aiming cause it will have smoothing/acceleration/lag so I will have to use my xbox360 pad and I suck at aiming with a pad.
 

hansari

New member
May 31, 2009
1,256
0
0
T-Bone24 said:
I love the game, however Fisher seems to have gotten younger since Double Agent. hard to believe he's in his fifties.
They've changed his appearance every so slightly in each game...I'm starting to think its a running gag...
Russ Pitts said:
In true Tom Clancy form, the story covers a whole lot of ground...
It did manage to keep me in my seat, but some stuff gets thrown at you way too fast. Such as the dialogue when you and grim first see eachother face to face....also who Meggido? (maybe thats answered in the co-op campaign...)
Russ Pitts said:
If, like me, you spent much of your time playing previous Splinter Cell titles bemoaning the fact it took half the game to figure out how to perform the coolest moves, then Conviction will probably grab your attention early and hold it for the whole ride.
I kinda thought that added to the replay value...that sometimes one room had 3 different approaches...one was indeed the "stealthiest" but it was never required...
Russ Pitts said:
All of Sam's moves are now contextual, meaning a single button press is all it takes to throw a man from a ledge, or bash down a door in someone's face, or drop boots-first onto a bad guy's head, or climb a wall, or shimmy up a pipe or more.
Yeah...this is where you lose me...I mean all that stuff was in the prior two games and required only one button.

The most complicated maneuver I can think, which isn't in Convictions even though its as trademark as his goggles, was the split jump. That required you to hit 'Y' twice, but then they simplified it to have you only face a toward a wall and press 'Y'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Russ Pitts said:
It seems simplistic at first, but the simplified interface hides an underlying complexity that will give you plenty of "aha!" moments as you discover a new way to approach a level and go back again and again to try it out
See I feel like they could of done the "best of both worlds" type of scenario here by making both playstyles available. The game itself could have been geared more towards the action where hiding a body seemed like a waste of time, but likewise kept a few token things like the splitjump and moving through a vent...

I'm surprised you make no mention of the HUD. I mean, while it was advertised enough during trailers, it still took some getting use to. As aesthetically pleasing as it was, I'm embarrassed to say I ended up alerting guys by jumping through a window when I only intended to open it. (still was funny)

But the mix of "action route" or "stealth route" was available before (as early back as Chaos Theory, though you could argue even earlier). It merely amounted to looking at level and applying what you could do creatively. The routes weren't as immediately obvious as in Convictions, but I always thought that was part of the fun.

Also...splitjump...



That was sooo ninja...
 

Orange Monkey

New member
Mar 16, 2009
604
0
0
Great game, but you know the dev team might of made a stop in Malta to get the detail just right. I'm maltese and while it was VERY satisfying seeing some bad-assery happen in the country, the little things just threw the experience for me.
On the upside, the maltese tourist board is so going to love the developers for this ''You can now visit the land of the exploits of Sam Fisher!'' tour guides available

''I'm going to tap into the cities power grid to overload the lights'' doesn't quite work that way here, you blow one power grid you pretty much send the entire country into darkness XD
 

ldwater

New member
Jun 15, 2009
87
0
0
I'm surprised that no one metioned that its actually quite short.

I bought it and finished it on the same day (about 6hrs in total I think)!

As a fan of the series I found that the story was very compelling and kept me going the entire time from start to finish, - especially with the little cut scenes which keep you guessing who to trust.

The only problem I had with this game is that the 'bonus' stuff you get (I got the collectors edition) don't really add much value to the game. The weapons you get are pretty much interchangable with the standard weapons and the suit can only be used in multiplayer / co-op. The infiltration mode is quite fun but its not something I would pay much extra to get.

I think Yahtzee will have a field day with this game because of all the PMCs and a very grand and elaberate plot which feels a little far fetched if you think about it too much.
 

Suskie

New member
Nov 9, 2009
210
0
0
I've been playing the hell out of this game since last week; it would easily be my favorite game of the year so far if it wasn't for Mass Effect 2. Anyone who claims Conviction doesn't have enough value needs to check out the multiplayer and Deniable Ops on top of replaying the campaign on Realistic. Great stuff.
 

Suskie

New member
Nov 9, 2009
210
0
0
Nevyrmoore said:
Suskie said:
...check out the multiplayer...
Does this mean the Spy vs Mercenary mode is still in? Or by multiplayer, do you mean that co-op mode?
I meant co-op, actually. Sorry. But it's still a terrific mode that adds a lot of value to the game if you bother to check it out.
 

sephiroth1991

New member
Dec 3, 2009
2,319
0
0
I thought Splinter Cell was all about stealth but my impression was it was just a normal action game.
 

aaronmcc

New member
Oct 18, 2008
629
0
0
hansari said:
....also who Meggido? (maybe thats answered in the co-op campaign...)
SPOILERS!!!

It isn't answered.

SPOILERS!!!

They are alluded to and presumably are the new arch nemesis conspiracy type agency which Sam will presumably go after from now on.
 

Viptorian

New member
Mar 29, 2010
95
0
0
sephiroth1991 said:
I thought Splinter Cell was all about stealth but my impression was it was just a normal action game.
Believe me, you'll want to use stealth.

Conviction isn't a "true" splinter cell in my eyes, but I loved it nonetheless. I think they could almost start another series using this gameplay system and I'd love that just as much as I have Splinter Cell.

My only major gripe is the loss of Double Agent's Spies v Mercs. I don't know why everyone loved the Chaos Theory multiplayer so much, I think Double Agent's was better. Regardless, the 1v1 or 2vComputer versions aren't as fun, but they are still a good trip if you play with a good friend. The co-op missions were excellent, though.

I'd give it 5/5 on it's own and a 4/5 if we count my disappointment for lacking Spies v Mercs.
 

Boba Frag

New member
Dec 11, 2009
1,288
0
0
Very good review- I actually bought it yesterday and I'm enjoying it a lot. Kinda finding it hard to get to grips with the Execute thing... I'm taking guys down with my hands but no Execute right... I must be doing it wrong :p

One thing though- Third Echelon is a black ops NSA, not CIA outfit... kinda says it repeatedly during the other games :p
 

duchaked

New member
Dec 25, 2008
4,451
0
0
"Sam, now older, wiser, less apt to straddle much of anything..."

hahaha...awesome
altho that move was very ninja, at least when it wasn't a full split...

definitely will rent this game, probably won't be buying anything new for a while, but this game is worth checking out for sure (for keeps if I can find co-op buddies to play it through multiple times)
 

The Imp

New member
Nov 9, 2009
170
0
0
Yeah, great. The last true stealth game got action'ised and dumbed down. Way to go maxime belard, way to go.
 

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
3,240
0
0
I was kinda surprised there is no lock picking, and no whistle command. Other than that I loved this game.
It's true the main story isn't really long, but the other game modes help replay value. If you run and gun I can see how people beat the game quickly, what I like is the stealth tho. Many times I would start a checkpoint (no saves damn it!) over many times because I want to beat a level w/out being seen.
They few times the game doesn't let you stealth all the way I enjoyed too. The middle East daytime flashback was actually really fun.

REMEMBER: Once you beat the game, WATCH THE CREDITS!!!!!!!!! Halfway through (a few minutes)is a really funny..... well, I won't spoil it for you.
 

sizzle949

New member
May 4, 2009
479
0
0
Prereserved the game and beat it in around 8-10 hours. While I loved the old games in the series this is easily the best one and most enjoyable. Sure it's no longer the same pure stealth game as it was before, but this is just a lot more fun then the previous installments. Best game of the year so far for me.


Also if you honestly believe you can just run in and shoot people with no attempt at stealth you are going to get your head blown off 9 times out of 10.
 
May 28, 2009
3,698
0
0
I did very much enjoy the game, but it didn't give me enough time to get into the full swing of it (I normally need to be playing for a few days to feel integrated). I finished the game on the hardest difficulty in one day - that really shouldn't happen.

It was excellent, and possibly my second favourite of the Splinter Cells, but nothing will beat Chaos Theory's formula for me. They'd perfected what I would call the very essence of Splinter Cell there.

I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.
 

aaronmcc

New member
Oct 18, 2008
629
0
0
I'm finding the pec achievements pretty tough! But the game is awesome, so glad I didn't listen to the nay sayers
 

aaronmcc

New member
Oct 18, 2008
629
0
0
KillerMidget said:
I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.
you could shoot Lambert and it was acceptable. All part of your cover. However, Grim goes apeshit at you and as he's dying Lambert forgives you. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. Anyhow you can make whatever decision you want, the government will still think you're a douchebag terrorist

EDIT: actually lambert tells you to defuse the bomb either way but Fisher tells him to hold on. Presumably he wasn't fatally shot.
 
May 28, 2009
3,698
0
0
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.
you could shoot Lambert and it was acceptable. All part of your cover. However, Grim goes apeshit at you and as he's dying Lambert forgives you. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. Anyhow you can make whatever decision you want, the government will still think you're a douchebag terrorist
I don't think Grim is even in Double Agent, but Lambert tells you to continue the mission, so you know he knows it was all for the mission. Still saddens me that that is how the great Irving "The mission's ohva!" Lambert had to die. By the "good" ending, I mean does the bonus mission where you take down the final nuke in New York Harbour still occur? If not, then you are playing Conviction without a New York in America.
 

aaronmcc

New member
Oct 18, 2008
629
0
0
KillerMidget said:
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.
you could shoot Lambert and it was acceptable. All part of your cover. However, Grim goes apeshit at you and as he's dying Lambert forgives you. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. Anyhow you can make whatever decision you want, the government will still think you're a douchebag terrorist
I don't think Grim is even in Double Agent, but Lambert tells you to continue the mission, so you know he knows it was all for the mission. Still saddens me that that is how the great Irving "The mission's ohva!" Lambert had to die. By the "good" ending, I mean does the bonus mission where you take down the final nuke in New York Harbour still occur? If not, then you are playing Conviction without a New York in America.
Yeah, you still do the mission regardless of Lambert's situation. I mean it's essentially revenge as by his point there is only retribution.
 
May 28, 2009
3,698
0
0
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.
you could shoot Lambert and it was acceptable. All part of your cover. However, Grim goes apeshit at you and as he's dying Lambert forgives you. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. Anyhow you can make whatever decision you want, the government will still think you're a douchebag terrorist
I don't think Grim is even in Double Agent, but Lambert tells you to continue the mission, so you know he knows it was all for the mission. Still saddens me that that is how the great Irving "The mission's ohva!" Lambert had to die. By the "good" ending, I mean does the bonus mission where you take down the final nuke in New York Harbour still occur? If not, then you are playing Conviction without a New York in America.
Yeah, you still do the mission regardless of Lambert's situation. I mean it's essentially revenge as by his point there is only retribution.
Well now I can play the series canonically, despite reluctance. Once it's canon, I have no choice but to comply.
 

Siberian Relic

New member
Jan 15, 2010
190
0
0
The loss of several gameplay options from previous games and the overall watering down of the stealth elements is something I would ordinarily frown upon, especially given my love of such a great franchise.

But Ubisoft did something fantastic. They didn't just change the game because "it was time to do something new". This all ties into the story, and the story all funnels into Sam Fisher's character. My experience is somewhat limited, but Conviction's Sam may be the most realistic video game character I've had the privilege of controlling. You already have Ironside's fantastic pipes behind him, but Ubisoft crafted a compelling and intimate story for Sam along with some really stunning and believable body language. When you combine that with great pacing, a still-strong emphasis on stealth, more forgiving gunplay mechanics, and a storytelling methodology that blurs the lines between gameplay, cutscenes, and quicktime events, you get this.
 

SilverKyo

New member
Apr 15, 2009
211
0
0
Nevyrmoore said:
Suskie said:
...check out the multiplayer...
Does this mean the Spy vs Mercenary mode is still in? Or by multiplayer, do you mean that co-op mode?
They actually have sort of a more spy vs. spy mode which is a lot more fun. No one liked being the mercs, so now it's only the fun part
 

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
3,240
0
0
Nomaic said:
The loss of several gameplay options from previous games and the overall watering down of the stealth elements is something I would ordinarily frown upon, especially given my love of such a great franchise.

But Ubisoft did something fantastic. They didn't just change the game because "it was time to do something new". This all ties into the story, and the story all funnels into Sam Fisher's character. My experience is somewhat limited, but Conviction's Sam may be the most realistic video game character I've had the privilege of controlling. You already have Ironside's fantastic pipes behind him, but Ubisoft crafted a compelling and intimate story for Sam along with some really stunning and believable body language. When you combine that with great pacing, a still-strong emphasis on stealth, more forgiving gunplay mechanics, and a storytelling methodology that blurs the lines between gameplay, cutscenes, and quicktime events, you get this.
Exactly. I was skeptical at first because I'm a long time fan of the series, and it actually kind of annoyed me they were tinkering with the formula to such an extent with Conviction.

But it works.

They took some major chances on the redesign and the implementation of the billboard objectives and stripping away of some of the series mainstays, etc. but it all plays very nicely into the evolution of the character. Plus, it just works.

To me it doesn't feel as if they tinkered with the game just for kicks, or to blindly try new things. They definitely had a direction in mind and went out on a limb to make it happen. I would respect that regardless, but when it works this well, it's a thing of beauty.
 

Lucas Auraelius

WARNING: Cartoon Violence
Feb 25, 2009
70
0
0
This is my first Splinter Cell game and in fact my first foray into the stealth genre, but I still haven't been able to take the disc out of my Xbox since I rented it on Sunday. If I had known how amazing this game would be, I would have definitely bought it.
 

Siberian Relic

New member
Jan 15, 2010
190
0
0
Russ Pitts said:
Nomaic said:
The loss of several gameplay options from previous games and the overall watering down of the stealth elements is something I would ordinarily frown upon, especially given my love of such a great franchise.

But Ubisoft did something fantastic. They didn't just change the game because "it was time to do something new". This all ties into the story, and the story all funnels into Sam Fisher's character. My experience is somewhat limited, but Conviction's Sam may be the most realistic video game character I've had the privilege of controlling. You already have Ironside's fantastic pipes behind him, but Ubisoft crafted a compelling and intimate story for Sam along with some really stunning and believable body language. When you combine that with great pacing, a still-strong emphasis on stealth, more forgiving gunplay mechanics, and a storytelling methodology that blurs the lines between gameplay, cutscenes, and quicktime events, you get this.
Exactly. I was skeptical at first because I'm a long time fan of the series, and it actually kind of annoyed me they were tinkering with the formula to such an extent with Conviction.

But it works.

They took some major chances on the redesign and the implementation of the billboard objectives and stripping away of some of the series mainstays, etc. but it all plays very nicely into the evolution of the character. Plus, it just works.

To me it doesn't feel as if they tinkered with the game just for kicks, or to blindly try new things. They definitely had a direction in mind and went out on a limb to make it happen. I would respect that regardless, but when it works this well, it's a thing of beauty.
One other thing I forgot to mention are the new projected titles. First of all, it fulfills exactly what Maxime promised: a much more streamlined and seamless way of storytelling that doesn't clog the screen and catches the eye. It's a lovely piece of aesthetics solely for the fact that it is, in my opinion, and ingenious way of playing into Splinter Cell's mechanic of light and shadow.

But it really is seamless and I dare say artistic. I especially noticed it as I was walking into the main lobby for Third Echelon. This mechanic effortlessly pointed me in the right direction while offering an added layer of storytelling by projecting large text above the welcome desk that read: "Welcome Home".

Brilliant stuff.
 

Baradiel

New member
Mar 4, 2009
1,077
0
0
Brilliant review, but a few things irked me:

1. Third Echelon is a secret branch of the NSA, not the CIA.

[MINOR SPOILER]

2. The president knows of the existence of Third Echelon, since she was considering shutting it down.

But apart from those, brilliant review. It's a complete departure from the Splinter Cell style, but I think it works.

Needs Spy vs Mercs though.

EDIT: And the end of the co-op campaign is a load of bull. I fucking HATE Kobin!
 

ilion

New member
Aug 20, 2009
285
0
0
Penumbra and Splinter Cell to me, have always been the true successors to the Thief series, in terms of gameplay. its a shame about the drm really.
 

CrafterMan

New member
Aug 3, 2008
920
0
0
This game was seriously badass. Really enjoyed it, it was so cinematic and fast paced, without the difficult and sometimes boring stealth sequences the previous games had.

-JB

/P.S Good review by the way
 

CrafterMan

New member
Aug 3, 2008
920
0
0
Can someone also explain why the PC version was delayed?

Sorry for the double post.

-JB
 

CAW4

New member
Feb 7, 2009
111
0
0
This was a great game, like you said, and like others have been saying, Third Echelon is NSA (more info @ the bottom of post). The controls are easy and immersive, with the only problem I had being me accidentally jumping through a window, rather than opening it like I intended, and alerting every nearby guard, but that's simply just being a bit off with my pointing. All in all, this game is everything it's made out to be, and everything you mentioned in your review.

All info from the books
Sam mentions that he can "count on two hands the amount of people who know about Third Echelon," and "on one hand the amount of people who know a Splinter Cell" (meaning know a name and the person behind it).
First Echelon was a 'typical' spy program of get person in, get documents/kill person/etc., get out. From what I can gather it was not heavy on tech (compared to 2nd and 3rd echelons). It was replaced by Second Echelon, which was basically spying from the office. It was completely focused on electronic information gathering with no fieldwork. The rapid growth and change in electonics let to "the NSA's first system wide crash." This led to more direct infomation gathering, thus, Third Echelon.
 

Avatar Roku

New member
Jul 9, 2008
6,169
0
0
Whoa, seriously? I've been avoiding this game because it looked like it was destroying one of my favorite series. But it's actually good? I'll have to buy it when I get the funds.
 

Nibiru

New member
Apr 5, 2010
45
0
0
I do not have the patience to read the full written review at the moment, but I am not really sure if I even want to after watching the video review...

Apparently, they removed most of the stealth elements, correct? Instead, they introduced these 'nifty' execution and shadow skills? Did they remove the difficulty of sneaking through a facility without killing anybody and being noticed? Is the stealth now based on killing everybody as fast as possible?! If the answer is 'yes' , I will not even rent it and just prey for another good stealth game to come out soon (Eidos, if you screw up Thief 4, I will sneak up on you and use my flame arrows on the oil beneath you!)
 

Zing

New member
Oct 22, 2009
2,069
0
0
Logic said:
This is my first Splinter Cell game and in fact my first foray into the stealth genre, but I still haven't been able to take the disc out of my Xbox since I rented it on Sunday. If I had known how amazing this game would be, I would have definitely bought it.
If you like Conviction you should get Pandora Tommmorow and Chaos theory.
 

Lono Shrugged

New member
May 7, 2009
1,467
0
0
Sonicron said:
Looks like fun.

Question: Since I only played the first two games, do I need to play the other installments before this one or is there a better/faster way to brush up on the backstory?
Just watch up to season 5 of 24 and you'll get the gist.

Great review and I agree totally on how they are never afraid to try something new. It's worth mentioning that the game has a terrorist hunt mode similar to rainbow 6 and a fantastic 2 player component.
 

SoulChaserJ

New member
Sep 21, 2009
175
0
0
Wow, this review actually pushed me over the top. I actually bought and enjoy the game. Something that I haven't said about a Splinter Cell game.....EVER
 

Ham Blitz

New member
May 28, 2009
576
0
0
I will agree with most of the review, the game is pretty freaking awesome. There are some down sides to it though. One thing that I didn't like is that even though there is a good collection of weapons, once you get the silenced scoped SMG, you really don't need to use any other gun. That thing was accurate, had a long range, and best of all, silent.
Another part that slightly disappointed me was the multiplayer is almost non-existent outside co-op. Don't get me wrong, all the co-op things are extremely entertaining to play (Except maybe Last Stand), though the only vs. Multiplayer I find is Face-off, which is a 1 vs 1 spy duel. I was hoping for the return of spies vs. Mercenaries.
In the end, the game was still good, though slightly easy. I've only played it on realistic, and that felt like Chaos Theory's normal difficultly.
Side note: Although not needed in the game, I did kind of miss the ability to split jump in tight hall ways.
 

beddo

New member
Dec 12, 2007
1,589
0
0
I bought this on Friday and had completed it on Saturday in the hardest setting. I found it way too easy. While it is fun and exciting at times it has has a lot of repetition and some very dull sections.

To be honest the stealth in it is just stupid. It's like sneaking around in the world of the blind, your enemies don't see you when they reasonably would. Also, you're never vulnerable; when you're in shadows and do a take down you can easily get 4 mark and executes which makes you seem almost super powered.

The whole Bourne thing is totally there and it's great, an awesome agent versus these regular guys. Of course if you run out in the open you will die quickly but I just wish there was a new difficulty mode where the people are more alert.

It's a good game, it's just a bit short and a bit flawed in areas. I completed it in 2 sessions so it's definitely and entertaining title that keeps you coming back. It's just missing those final touches that would have made it great.
 

beddo

New member
Dec 12, 2007
1,589
0
0
Nibiru said:
I do not have the patience to read the full written review at the moment, but I am not really sure if I even want to after watching the video review...

Apparently, they removed most of the stealth elements, correct? Instead, they introduced these 'nifty' execution and shadow skills? Did they remove the difficulty of sneaking through a facility without killing anybody and being noticed? Is the stealth now based on killing everybody as fast as possible?! If the answer is 'yes' , I will not even rent it and just prey for another good stealth game to come out soon (Eidos, if you screw up Thief 4, I will sneak up on you and use my flame arrows on the oil beneath you!)
They haven't removed the stealth, large sections of levels require full stealth without being seen. There are a few missions where being seen means you have to restart.

In the video review they show you in a garage, in that first bit you can't be seen. The game flows really well and each mission is separated into sort of chapters, some more than others. So you will need to not be seen until you are in the place you are infiltrating.

It's worth playing but it's nothing like the Splinter Cells of old, of course, you can challenge yourself to slip by unnoticed but the levels generally require combat. A lot of the game is trial and error much like the earlier titles but being seen isn't such a big deal, a quick emp shock blast is enough to get away in most cases. If you do play I recommend doing it in Realistic mode and only use a pistol with a maximum of 2 mark and execute moves.
 

capin Rob

New member
Apr 2, 2010
7,447
0
0
Not trying to be a nerd, but in one part of the review he said that Sam worked for the CIA, but he worked for Third Echelon, and that is run by the NSA
 

SomeBoredGuy

New member
Nov 18, 2009
1,160
0
0
T-Bone24 said:
I love the game, however Fisher seems to have gotten younger since Double Agent. hard to believe he's in his fifties.
Well, my dad is 51 and him and Fisher look creepily alike.
 

xchurchx

New member
Nov 2, 2009
357
0
0
why? WHY IS IT ONLY ON XBOX????!!!!
ps i love how you put this is great place to start when we're at the end of the series
....or are we?
 

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
214
0
0
So I've played through the co-op and the campaign. While I was enjoying it, it has a very common problem. It's over too quickly. Difficulty as well is merely a case of not being detected in the levels that require it, and not necessarily retaliation.

For instance, I played through both the co-op and campaign on "Realistic", and beat them both. Problem is, 80% of the game can be beaten via typical combat approaches, and really ruins the need for hiding. The other 20% requires you to stay hidden which is such a jarring difference on "Realistic" that it can be keyboard-smashingly frustrating at times. The lack of an ability to move bodies in "Realistic" quadruples the difficulty simply because every target has a flashlight, and sees bodies more easily than they see you.

The story, while interesting, was too quick and seemed rushed. There wasn't much in trying to figure out what was going on, and the twists had me literally scratching my head. The lack of choice here was a problem. I felt like I always had one, maybe two ways to go or to deal with issues, most of which degenerated into simply shooting and not bypassing.

Now for all it's faults, I will say the one major thing that impressed me was the change in animations. They were all a lot more smooth and natural in comparison to previous titles in the series, however that doesn't excuse the rest.

Now as far as character designs, I do have to scratch my head there too. For one, Sam looks younger in Conviction. Why? This doesn't make sense. He's supposed to be older, much older. Archer's costume design is annoying as hell. He has a set of goggles that look like they are designed for night-vision with depth perception over one eye like an eye-patch. It just makes me want to punch him in the face each time I see it. Kestrel is at least believable.
 

Ashbax

New member
Jan 7, 2009
1,774
0
0
Really love this game, Ive already beaten it 3 times, and play the challenges/co-op campaign constantly