Review: Splinter Cell: Conviction

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
hansari said:
....also who Meggido? (maybe thats answered in the co-op campaign...)
SPOILERS!!!

It isn't answered.

SPOILERS!!!

They are alluded to and presumably are the new arch nemesis conspiracy type agency which Sam will presumably go after from now on.

Viptorian

Mar 29, 2010
sephiroth1991 said:
I thought Splinter Cell was all about stealth but my impression was it was just a normal action game.
Believe me, you'll want to use stealth.

Conviction isn't a "true" splinter cell in my eyes, but I loved it nonetheless. I think they could almost start another series using this gameplay system and I'd love that just as much as I have Splinter Cell.

My only major gripe is the loss of Double Agent's Spies v Mercs. I don't know why everyone loved the Chaos Theory multiplayer so much, I think Double Agent's was better. Regardless, the 1v1 or 2vComputer versions aren't as fun, but they are still a good trip if you play with a good friend. The co-op missions were excellent, though.

I'd give it 5/5 on it's own and a 4/5 if we count my disappointment for lacking Spies v Mercs.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Very good review- I actually bought it yesterday and I'm enjoying it a lot. Kinda finding it hard to get to grips with the Execute thing... I'm taking guys down with my hands but no Execute right... I must be doing it wrong :p

One thing though- Third Echelon is a black ops NSA, not CIA outfit... kinda says it repeatedly during the other games :p

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
"Sam, now older, wiser, less apt to straddle much of anything..."

hahaha...awesome
altho that move was very ninja, at least when it wasn't a full split...

definitely will rent this game, probably won't be buying anything new for a while, but this game is worth checking out for sure (for keeps if I can find co-op buddies to play it through multiple times)

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, great. The last true stealth game got action'ised and dumbed down. Way to go maxime belard, way to go.

sizzle949

May 4, 2009
Prereserved the game and beat it in around 8-10 hours. While I loved the old games in the series this is easily the best one and most enjoyable. Sure it's no longer the same pure stealth game as it was before, but this is just a lot more fun then the previous installments. Best game of the year so far for me.

Also if you honestly believe you can just run in and shoot people with no attempt at stealth you are going to get your head blown off 9 times out of 10.

May 28, 2009
I did very much enjoy the game, but it didn't give me enough time to get into the full swing of it (I normally need to be playing for a few days to feel integrated). I finished the game on the hardest difficulty in one day - that really shouldn't happen.

It was excellent, and possibly my second favourite of the Splinter Cells, but nothing will beat Chaos Theory's formula for me. They'd perfected what I would call the very essence of Splinter Cell there.

I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
I'm finding the pec achievements pretty tough! But the game is awesome, so glad I didn't listen to the nay sayers

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
KillerMidget said:
I was very sad that Lambert's death was considered canon, because he was one of my favourite characters (I didn't like the fact his voice actor got temporarily replaced in Pandora Tomorrow). However, does the good ending still occur if you kill him? I always get through by only allowing the cruiser to get nuked; one of the three things considered to propel you to the other endings, and I know blowing the cruiser is acceptable if you save Hisham and Lambert. However, I was under the impression that shooting Lambert was completely unacceptable.
you could shoot Lambert and it was acceptable. All part of your cover. However, Grim goes apeshit at you and as he's dying Lambert forgives you. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. Anyhow you can make whatever decision you want, the government will still think you're a douchebag terrorist

EDIT: actually lambert tells you to defuse the bomb either way but Fisher tells him to hold on. Presumably he wasn't fatally shot.

May 28, 2009
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
you could shoot Lambert and it was acceptable. All part of your cover. However, Grim goes apeshit at you and as he's dying Lambert forgives you. I hope I'm remembering that correctly. Anyhow you can make whatever decision you want, the government will still think you're a douchebag terrorist
I don't think Grim is even in Double Agent, but Lambert tells you to continue the mission, so you know he knows it was all for the mission. Still saddens me that that is how the great Irving "The mission's ohva!" Lambert had to die. By the "good" ending, I mean does the bonus mission where you take down the final nuke in New York Harbour still occur? If not, then you are playing Conviction without a New York in America.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
KillerMidget said:
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
I don't think Grim is even in Double Agent, but Lambert tells you to continue the mission, so you know he knows it was all for the mission. Still saddens me that that is how the great Irving "The mission's ohva!" Lambert had to die. By the "good" ending, I mean does the bonus mission where you take down the final nuke in New York Harbour still occur? If not, then you are playing Conviction without a New York in America.
Yeah, you still do the mission regardless of Lambert's situation. I mean it's essentially revenge as by his point there is only retribution.

May 28, 2009
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
aaronmcc said:
KillerMidget said:
Yeah, you still do the mission regardless of Lambert's situation. I mean it's essentially revenge as by his point there is only retribution.
Well now I can play the series canonically, despite reluctance. Once it's canon, I have no choice but to comply.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
The loss of several gameplay options from previous games and the overall watering down of the stealth elements is something I would ordinarily frown upon, especially given my love of such a great franchise.

But Ubisoft did something fantastic. They didn't just change the game because "it was time to do something new". This all ties into the story, and the story all funnels into Sam Fisher's character. My experience is somewhat limited, but Conviction's Sam may be the most realistic video game character I've had the privilege of controlling. You already have Ironside's fantastic pipes behind him, but Ubisoft crafted a compelling and intimate story for Sam along with some really stunning and believable body language. When you combine that with great pacing, a still-strong emphasis on stealth, more forgiving gunplay mechanics, and a storytelling methodology that blurs the lines between gameplay, cutscenes, and quicktime events, you get this.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
Suskie said:
...check out the multiplayer...
Does this mean the Spy vs Mercenary mode is still in? Or by multiplayer, do you mean that co-op mode?
They actually have sort of a more spy vs. spy mode which is a lot more fun. No one liked being the mercs, so now it's only the fun part

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Nomaic said:
The loss of several gameplay options from previous games and the overall watering down of the stealth elements is something I would ordinarily frown upon, especially given my love of such a great franchise.

But Ubisoft did something fantastic. They didn't just change the game because "it was time to do something new". This all ties into the story, and the story all funnels into Sam Fisher's character. My experience is somewhat limited, but Conviction's Sam may be the most realistic video game character I've had the privilege of controlling. You already have Ironside's fantastic pipes behind him, but Ubisoft crafted a compelling and intimate story for Sam along with some really stunning and believable body language. When you combine that with great pacing, a still-strong emphasis on stealth, more forgiving gunplay mechanics, and a storytelling methodology that blurs the lines between gameplay, cutscenes, and quicktime events, you get this.
Exactly. I was skeptical at first because I'm a long time fan of the series, and it actually kind of annoyed me they were tinkering with the formula to such an extent with Conviction.

But it works.

They took some major chances on the redesign and the implementation of the billboard objectives and stripping away of some of the series mainstays, etc. but it all plays very nicely into the evolution of the character. Plus, it just works.

To me it doesn't feel as if they tinkered with the game just for kicks, or to blindly try new things. They definitely had a direction in mind and went out on a limb to make it happen. I would respect that regardless, but when it works this well, it's a thing of beauty.

Lucas Auraelius

WARNING: Cartoon Violence
Feb 25, 2009
This is my first Splinter Cell game and in fact my first foray into the stealth genre, but I still haven't been able to take the disc out of my Xbox since I rented it on Sunday. If I had known how amazing this game would be, I would have definitely bought it.