Review: 'Splosion Man

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: 'Splosion Man

Take Portal, mix in some Super Mario, add a dash of psychosis, and voila: You have 'Splosion Man.

Read Full Article

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Wow, and here I was thinking the game looked crappy and that I'd never spend points on it. Next time I have MS points, I'm downloading this!

As for your opening bit, Susan, I had the sort of thing with The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, which turned into one of my favorite Live Arcade games.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Well, when I finally get round to buying an XBox I may have to buy this, it looks like a few hours of silly fun.

Thanks Susan!

[small]Everybody loves Do-oughnuts
I know I do-ooo[/small]

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
I would rather say Portal + Jumper.

Seems like a hella fun game.

I love the "'splosion" variants =P!

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Very happy that Escapist got this review up. This game has been nothing but great fun for myself and a few friends in the past week. Even better it was a Susan Arendt review which just adds so much gravitas to a great little game.

I can only mention that you didn't mention the amazing thing that is Multiplayer (haha I read Susan's comment at the end of the article just now. ARG!). As fun and challenging as the single player is, the multiplayer adds a laugh out loud element of cooperation between 2-4 people. The requirement of sploding your teammates to gain access to certain areas just adds a little something else to the game. Of course the extra 50 levels of multiplayer doesn't hurt the longevity either.

As an added funny I have to strongly recommend you watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKjxErG5rg

Don't worry it's not spoiling anything from the game... but you might just get an idea of what to expect from beating the game. Actually I don't think anyone could expect what you see at the end of the game. Needless to say someone has finally outdone the Portal end credits.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
like portal it haz cake, 47 cakes.

Good fun and my god that "way of the coward" came in handy. Playing this while drunk without a WOTC option would result in smashed consoles.

And for those looking for mpay fun, try four player coop where u r the only one with a mic. this is where the countdown button comes into its own.

You get your own tutu, how cute!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Wandrecanada said:
Very happy that Escapist got this review up. This game has been nothing but great fun for myself and a few friends in the past week. Even better it was a Susan Arendt review which just adds so much gravitas to a great little game.

I can only mention that you didn't mention the amazing thing that is Multiplayer (haha I read Susan's comment at the end of the article just now. ARG!). As fun and challenging as the single player is, the multiplayer adds a laugh out loud element of cooperation between 2-4 people. The requirement of sploding your teammates to gain access to certain areas just adds a little something else to the game. Of course the extra 50 levels of multiplayer doesn't hurt the longevity either.
I know, I know, I do feel really bad about not covering the co-op options, but I genuinely just could not stop playing the single player mode. And the game is so good just for that, I consider co-op to be just a big fat bonus. I can't believe the game is only ten bucks. So much goodness.

Thanks for the comments about co-op, you helped fill out that part of this review. :)

Jul 9, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
So, like Portal, there will be cake?

[small]I'll get my coat[/small]
What's more, according to NoMoreSanity, the achievement for finding every cake is entitled "Not a Portal reference."

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Ahhh, what a lovely singing voice you have Susan ;D
I would pay good money to have you sing me a lulaby every night xD

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
This game is simply brilliant. I played the demo, and decided for a mere 800 points, this was worth buying. The multi-player is brilliant too, but a tad hard in places. The portal-cake reference achievement is brilliant too.

Even if this game doesn't look right or fun, just download the demo, I guarantee you will enjoy it.