Review: 'Splosion Man

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I saw: "It's got some Portal elements in it" and immediately thought about getting it. I love Portal so much it's almost unhealthy. A friend recommended I should get it, too, and now after reading the review, I'll be getting hold of some good ol' MS points, and blowing myself to kingdom come. I hate games with ridiculous difficulty curves, so I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Ahhh I wish I could play this... The main character looks very lovable fair play.
'SPLOSION!

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I played the trial and seemed rather dull. I usually like this sort of thing so I'm surprised at this review. Maybe I'll have to give it another chance.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
I was actually very intrigued by this game the first time I saw anything about it, and it's good to see that it it's lived up to that. Now to wait for a PC port :(

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
For everyone who was disappointed by the trial you have to give the game another chance. The trial levels are by far the easiest the game has to offer. The difficulty and fun ramps up rather quickly after you get out of the first few easy levels.

The game is fairly long as well. Single player has 50 levels and it took me the good parts of 2 days to power through them. Might not sound long but when your used to beating XBL arcade games in a couple hours this is huge in length. Plus thats without me collecting all the cakes or trying to get on par time in every level. I also skipped 2 levels so that shortened my time a bit.

The multiplayer is probably whats going to keep this game going though. It is soooo much fun to play with 4 friends. The only downside to it is that it seems to dc a lot but that could be because the game is still fairly new. Playing with random people can be a little harder but even then the game features a countdown time so that even without headsets everyone knows when to splode.

In short if you have ten dollars, buy this. Personally I would have paid far more for it so lets be glad it's only 10 bucks!

Edit: If you guys like the Donuts song wait till you see the music video after you beat the game. That had me laughing so hard. We're gonna be seeing a lot of Splosion Men running around this halloween. =p

Triple AD

Apr 1, 2009
I so wish I had oh well I guess I only have a few weeks to wait till my Xbox 360 comes back from the 3 red rings of death hospital... *sigh* I'm gonna sit in a corner figure out ways I could 'splode till I get this game *sadface*

Asciotes

Jul 24, 2009
This game makes me wish I had an Xbox. And that song makes me wish I had a doughnut.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
Why is it that XBLA games make me want a 360 more than the full titles. Although, so far I can't help but feel a little bit of hypocrisy. Way of the Coward seems to have so far been taken positively, but Nintendo's Demo Play has been almost universally bashed.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
RRilef said:
Although, so far I can't help but feel a little bit of hypocrisy. Way of the Coward seems to have so far been taken positively, but Nintendo's Demo Play has been almost universally bashed.
I think the bashing of demo play is unnecessary. I really don't see the problem with it.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
RRilef said:
Why is it that XBLA games make me want a 360 more than the full titles. Although, so far I can't help but feel a little bit of hypocrisy. Way of the Coward seems to have so far been taken positively, but Nintendo's Demo Play has been almost universally bashed.
This game is very, very, very hard in the later levels. So hard in fact that if it wasn't for Way of the Coward a lot of people wouldn't make it to the end of the game. Not mentioning that to even be able to use Way of the Coward you first have to die an obscene amount of times in one section of a level. Then the game penalizes you heavily for using Way of the Coward by giving you a 999:999:999 time for that level and giving you 0 points. It also makes that level not count towards the complete single player achievement. In order to get the achievment you can't use Way of the Coward.

So yeah, big difference in the two systems.

Edit: I don't personally care about the Nintendo Demo play. I don't hate it and I understand why it's there. Just saying the two systems are very different.

Banter

Apr 1, 2009
I eyed up this one but I'm saving my pennies as I'm being served a big dish of credit crunchies right now... but I do love donuts and that song is amazing.

RRilef said:
1. XBLA is awesome and evil. It takes out the annoying head into town just for one video game trek that saved my wallet so much strain (kinda like steam)
2. The nintendo demo play takes control away and shows you how it's done, taking challenge out of completing the game. Whereas the way of the coward seems to just skip it and let you come back to it, but you'll still need to figure it out when you go back to it.
It doesn't give away the secret to complete it, but you can still make the pain of being stuck on one point go away.

I've experienced that many a time in adventure games (Broken sword) where one menial puzzle has me stuck because I don't click on an insignificant bit of background, so I leave the game and don't play for months out of a sulk.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Ok, I've played the game for about 3 hours now and its fucking awesome.

Haven't played an arcade game this good since Braid.

There's one problem. Every time I pick up Donuts I just can't put him down. His song is just so awesome. I just end up walking around listening to this song. I don't want to kill the guy.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
This proves it, I have to get it! Played the trial, fell in love with it. Now it just calls for me, whispering it's awesomeness in my ear.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
I thought the trial was rather boring BUT peer pressure roped me in... AGAIN!

Now, I have the buyers remorse... and I tell my peers about it at least once a day because of what THEY made ME do.

I got through 8 levels on Multiplayer before I felt like punching my friends in the face and then got through 8 single player levels before I got bored and went on Fallout 3: Point Lookout, I went back on it this morning to get an acheivement I knew I could get with minimal effort and then... sure enough, went back on Fallout 3. :D

All this coming from a guy who just bought Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires and having had all DW games... So you can see my level of tolerance for repetative games.

Everything in the game is pretty good... except the game itself, which really makes it a rather pointless reel of music, spinning loading screens, random meat and cutscenes... I may play it again when I get the 360 dashboard update for the free things.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Slycne said:
The full Donuts, Go Nuts! song

Newman, what are you doing? Thinking. Well think me up one of those donuts with the lil sprinkles. -donut for the answer-and another donut for Susan for another fun review! or do you want a cookie?-
And thank you Slycne for sharing that awersome song with us that haven't had the blessing of playing Splosion Man yet. This is just one more reason for me to get a 360 and get on XBLA. (Gonna need a big fat hard drive for what I'll want, fer sure)
Everybody loves donuts...

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I know this has been mentioned before (well kinda) but I couldn't help putting; Hmm a puzzle game where the cake isn't a lie.

I like the way they've done the "cowards way out" because to regular players they'll feel a bit of annoyance at being called a coward, having a time of 999 hours and 0 pionts for the level which should encourage them reply it. And more "casual" players wont care anyway at just skip the hard beats all the same I imagine

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
messy said:
I know this has been mentioned before (well kinda) but I couldn't help putting; Hmm a puzzle game where the cake isn't a lie.

I like the way they've done the "cowards way out" because to regular players they'll feel a bit of annoyance at being called a coward, having a time of 999 hours and 0 pionts for the level which should encourage them reply it. And more "casual" players wont care anyway at just skip the hard beats all the same I imagine
I love Way of the Coward, I think it's genius. Sure, slap me with the crappy time, that's ok...I'll come back to the level later and do it the right way. But being able to make progress and get back to the fun is wonderful.