Review: 'Splosion Man

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
after the review i decided to give it a try. got the trial and ended up buying it. great game

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That sure looks like a fun little game, shame I can't have my Xbox connected to Live...yet! Can't wait to check this out when I can access Live again.

I usually don't like options like 'The Way of the Coward' but in this case it's really well done. At least you have to reach a certain level of fail before you can use it.

*whistles the tune of Donuts* Thanks Susan.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Donuts! Go nuts!

I knew this would end up being a better use of my points than MvC2...And I even got an awesome premium theme for free! Hardcore mode is just evil though...NO CHECKPOINTS!

UnkeptBiscuit

Jun 25, 2009
alright, I have to get this. But my mom took away my Xbox until I finish summer reading. That means I have to finish reading The Lord of the Rings 1, IMO the most boring book ever, and do a stupid project on it. God Dammit mom.

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
Fun game, but I have a few nitpicks about it.
1. Way of the Coward. Not the option itself (I managed to never use it, though it was a close call on some levels), but how it's presented. I understand that the first time it comes up stopping the game is a good idea so the player reads the description and knows what's going on, but all subsequent times it really should just pop up in the background. It breaks flow and on at least one occasion directly caused me to die by coming up right before I hit the A button, causing me to fall instead of Splode.
2. The camera. It was mentioned in the main review, but I still don't know who thought tilting it in certain sections was a good idea. I can only think that they were maybe trying to show more of the level, but it doesn't ever seem to, and instead messes with your perception and leads to several needless deaths. Also, why is it always so zoomed out? It can get pretty hard to see yourself at times because of this.
3. The barrels. I don't know why, but sometimes they send me to one side when I'm aiming for the other. There's probably a reason, but I don't know it so it's pretty annoying.
4. The last boss arena. Who decided that it should be orange on the sides (exacerbating the 'wide view, hard to see yourself' problem) and dark in the middle (making the little helper enemies near impossible to see, helped by the aforementioned camera)? I bet it's the same guy who did the camera. Dammit Gonad, must you always tarnish good design?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dramus said:
3. The barrels. I don't know why, but sometimes they send me to one side when I'm aiming for the other. There's probably a reason, but I don't know it so it's pretty annoying.
I have two theories on your particular problem, though the first theory depends on the barrels you're talking about. If you mean the bright green ones, they fling you to a specific spot, no matter what. If those aren't the ones you mean, I have to guess you're approaching them from different angles. If it's not either of those two situations, then I'm not sure what's up.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Dramus said:
I have two theories on your particular problem, though the first theory depends on the barrels you're talking about. If you mean the bright green ones, they fling you to a specific spot, no matter what. If those aren't the ones you mean, I have to guess you're approaching them from different angles. If it's not either of those two situations, then I'm not sure what's up.
The case can be one of three things that I've encountered in my splosion journeys:

1. The Splosion animation (and awesome guitar riff!) can often hide your true location when you are thrown and the angle will send you where you wouldn't expect. This occurs most when you are Sploding closest to the center of the barrel. To mitigate this effect ensure that your Splosion Man's head is fully on one side before you Splode.

2. When Sploding up towards barrels your momentum, analog stick angle and position from which you Splode can impact the direction you are thrown from the barrel. Your best bet is to lay off the movement analog at the same second you press the Splode button. This should normalize of the behavior of your Splodes.

3. In multiplayer there is often lag between consoles and on the host machine your Splosion Man may not be exactly where you think he is. In this case you often need to adjust your timing slightly eariler or later depending on what is causing you to move (ie: other splodes, barrels, wall jumps).

Hope this helps!

PS: A tip for later levels (mostly world 3); Try to splode as fast as possible when jumping between surfaces or barrels. There is no cooldown between your 3 Splosions and in some cases waiting that extra half second to react will cause instant death. World 3-8 will destroy your mind if you do not learn this early!

PSS: World 3-8 is in fact the benchmark level that will be featured in the contest for a limited Splosion Man statue prizes (I believe there will be 20 made in the world). Incentive enough for everyone to get this game and learn how to Splode with catlike precision! Time and points will be the deciding factor but only between the dates listed at the end of the single player game.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Looks alot like N+, one of my favorite platformers of all time. might just have to give it a go if and when i get some MS Points.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
You didn't mention co-op Susan which is one of my favourite bits of the game. It is a great game. I didn't think that it would be a bad game initially when I saw the title though. I only tend to view a game as bad when see the title if it's a Pixar/Disney film adaption such as Cars.
I also love the quirky sense of humour of the game.

kiltmanfortywo

Jul 14, 2008
this review made me decide to get this game. The only other game that has had a review sway me entirely to it was Bioshock. Yes, I would say this is on par with Bioshock. Its great, fun, and completely bizarre. I was just playing it with my friends, 3 of us on 1 screen, and we were having problems moving on because we were laughing to hard.

I would whole heartedly recommend you buy this game now.

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
I have to play this game! I also have to get a donut! I also have to get a job to afford this game and the donut! Damn my laziness!
...........I also have to have another sentence end with a exclamation mark!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I seriously can not pass a day without watching this review video again. I seriously need to get the game, wish it would come on Steam as The Maw and Braid did.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Only played in on local two player but that was a blast. Totally investing in the full version when I have a free evening.

Vitally the gameplay isn't based around precision, once you've worked out what you have to do it's pretty easy. You just have to work out what to do!

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Curse you Susan Arendt! This probably won't be the last time you convince me to get an awesome game! I've been looking for a decent puzzle platformer, and 'Splosion Man delivers tenfold - maybe more. It's like how Sonic used to be, back in the good ol' days. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

salamarian

Aug 3, 2009
Super Mario and Portals doesn't make splosion man. it makes a multidimensional wormhole.