Review: 'Splosion Man

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
So I'm not the only one who has never even come close to the par time?!

HUZZAH!!! I thought I was a complete failure.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Sadly, I knew I was going to get Splosion Man as soon as it was announced, since I've been stalking Twisted Pixel after playing The Maw. The press release for it was genius as well. (announce the game April 1, another release April 2 that basically said 'no really, we're making it!')

I love this game so much! <3

Also, more games need to be 2-4 hybrid local and live multiplayer. So very awesome!

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
I'm almost sad I won a code for this game from a contest. I actually WANT to pay them for it.

I'm also proud to say I never used way of the Coward throughout the entire game. I made myself refuse to use it. So due to that, certain sections of certain levels aggravated me to no end. After a lot of perfecting the routine getting through those parts was extremely easy.

The issue I have is, some parts that should have been ridiculously difficult I completed by just being a lucky son of a bread loaf. Those parts I got in one try without even knowing what i just did other than it worked bugged me. Oh well.
I enjoyed it.

The soundtrack (not just the donut song) is pretty much full of win.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for the review. Honestly hadn't heard of it before, but after reading it I downloaded the trial. It was easy, and far too short, but the simple game mechanic combined with all the possible usages for it seems extremely interesting. Even the three levels in the trial were fun, however it seemed far too short. I suppose that's how they hook you. Games with twenty different functions can be enjoyable, but there comes a time when all a game needs to be great is a d-pad or joystick and one or two buttons, this seems like one of them.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Just bought it, mostly due to this review. Looked amazing, is amazing. Simple, mostly mindless fun. Well worth the price. Only downside is getting doughnut song stuck in your head for days, although that's not really a downside considering how fun it is to sing. Not that I'd ever sing in the shower or in the car on the way to work. *Cough*

DaBozz said:
Ahhh, what a lovely singing voice you have Susan
Yeah, it's really soothing. Could market tapes of lullabies as a natural alternative to sleeping pills! :p

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I just beat hardcore mode. Damn that's hard. Great review, great game, great music. The end theme(s) are brilliant.

Endspark

Aug 10, 2009
Easily one of the best downloadable games of Xbox Live. Clever and original.
Don't like this? Try Castle Crashers

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Talked my roomate into buying this today cause we both liked the demo. Ended up playing it the entire evening multi-player. So much fun!

If anyone is second-guessing getting this, quit already! It's well worth the cost.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
messy said:
I know this has been mentioned before (well kinda) but I couldn't help putting; Hmm a puzzle game where the cake isn't a lie.

I like the way they've done the "cowards way out" because to regular players they'll feel a bit of annoyance at being called a coward, having a time of 999 hours and 0 pionts for the level which should encourage them reply it. And more "casual" players wont care anyway at just skip the hard beats all the same I imagine
I love Way of the Coward, I think it's genius. Sure, slap me with the crappy time, that's ok...I'll come back to the level later and do it the right way. But being able to make progress and get back to the fun is wonderful.
It's such a great feature that it makes the game less frustrating just by being there. I haven't used it yet, but when it comes up, there's always a sense of relief. I'm no longer trying to get past this part because I have to, I'm trying because I want to.

So far the only complaint I have about the game is that the ability to grab onto ledges leads to more annoyances than helpful situations. This is due in part to the game's very literal interpretation of the phrase "perfect timing."

Krall

Mar 3, 2009
'Splosion man is a fun game, but the 2-player co-op mode can be fiendishly difficult. Level 3-1 took me and my sister over 72 minutes to accomplish!

I suppose that's what the Way of the Coward is for, but I am not a little girly man, so I did not use it.