Review: Stalin vs. Martians

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Work on the russian accent John :)
Anyway, I kinda expected this game to suck. Does the sillyness outweigh it?

Yes I do like cats :p

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
well i like the "do you like cats" and the music... but im too bad at rts to give it a try when it's considered "hard" by someone who plays games for a living =/

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
I definitely have to pick this game up, it looks hillarious, and Im thinkin I might like the soundtrack as well.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
would get it just to have it

i mean cmon its stalin v martians what else do you want?

Daezd

Mar 1, 2008
Aw man, I really wanted this game to do well.

Seriously, with an awesome premise like that, how could you go wrong?

I guess I'll have to get my fill of Russians beating people up from TF2 then...Okay!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Moriarty said:
well i like the "do you like cats" and the music... but im too bad at rts to give it a try when it's considered "hard" by someone who plays games for a living =/
To be fair, it wasn't hard because it was a particularly hard RTS. It was hard because of clunky controls. So hey, maybe experience with RTS made me *worse* at the game, since it wasn't what I was used to. Who knows?

headshotcatcher said:
Work on the russian accent John :)
Anyway, I kinda expected this game to suck. Does the sillyness outweigh it?

Yes I do like cats :p
Yeaaaah, I know :p

Hm. The silliness is worth a bit of enjoyment. $15 bucks worth? That's a value call, honestly.

Guvnorium

Nov 20, 2008
Rhayn said:
Three minutes of soviet national anthem? Oh lord.

I'm quite sure the bolshevik on a bicycle is only there to make you go 'wtf?' though.
I actually have that recording (a very famous one) on my Mp3 player.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Could this be the start of a new reign of VS games? Trees vs Cats! Handtowels vs Mice! Lightglobes vs Army Men!

Nikral

Sep 10, 2008
itdoesntmatter said:
I'm curious whether or not 'or die trying' really was a way to finish that level..
Did you try that "strategy"?
Nope, you fail :p lol
That's from experience too. All truth!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nice review.

I've been following this game since I saw the first trailer. I figured the gameplay wouldn't be very good. I'd still like to play it though.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Here, John, a bit of info:
Bolshevik on a bycicle is a reference for real Soviet history buffs (such as one of my friends). According to him, it's a reference to drunk Bolsheviks during the 1920-1950's. Bolsheviks were known for riding bycicles, which were considered even back then in Russia to be a "working man's vehicle", something intended for the proletariat.

Class dismissed.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
This looks hilarious! They don't expect people to pay for this do they?! They should've made it a free flash game! Then it would be critaccly acclaimed!

I do like Kittahs!!! DDKR!!

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
I'm willing to wager huge money that the only reason this was made was because some game developer was drunk on vodka and his friend said, "Hey, I bet you'd never make a game called Stalin vs. Martians". Most evil things on this earth have their beginnings set in alcohol.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Game looks pretty meh. Base building and resource management is the fun part of RTS, without that and without good unit control I can't see it being much more than "click this, attack that" which would get old quickly... I haven't played the game but I agree with the review in principle.

I think the reviewer needs to work on his video supplement voice scripting and pacing though. Talking about "do you like cats" and the "die trying" bit should have raised a chuckle but didn't, probably because those elements were dwelled on at too great a length. If something is funny/amusing/weird it doesn't need that much underlining. More than five seconds spent on a single humourous element of a game review is too long and the amusement wears thin. Listen to a stand-up comic doing a visual presentation might help to get an idea of the correct pacing. I am being nitpicky though, good review overall. I now know not to buy the game.