Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

radicaledward92

Dec 29, 2009
Jandau said:
Steve Butts said:
Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?
No, you are not. And you are also not the only one sick of all the "Dual Wielded Lightsabers BRO!" crap that's been getting more and more pervasive in anything Star Wars related.
If you want a proper light saber fight you need only to look towards NO MORE HEROES 1 & 2

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
All this talk of Kyle Katarn made me install Jedi Outcast again. What a wonderful game. I just love the multiplayer even with bots on Bespin streets map.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Well, I played it yesterday. Not really what I'd call a good game, but then again it was a rental with the simple mission objective "Distract and entertain me for a few hours", and it did exactly that. It's certainly not worth more than 20 Euros as purchases go, but seeing how I paid less than 5 for the one-time opportunity to see how the story continues I have nothing to complain about.

That said, the story was definitely weaker than that of the first game. Oh well.
I did like the customization capabilities granted by the exchangable saber crystals. By the way, what's with all the purists? Fighting with two sabres is simply more fun than just one... although I do prefer the Darth Maul saber staff myself.

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Steve Butts said:
Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Read Full Article
You most certainly are not!! I will never forget, the fight agains Desann was awesome! Also, his student.. some Twi'lek girl with purple skin colour... she was awesome too.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
I played the demo and wasn't really impressed. It looked good but it just raised the question, 'why does my lightsaber cut off limbs now?'

Really my biggest issue (feel free to call me a fanboy for this) is that you can't use the Jedi Mind Trick to make someone kill themselves. Half the time I used it, the Stormtroopers would jump off of platforms. It's cool to get them to fight for you but there's no way (in the demo at least) of getting them to fight for you all the time.
I played the demo too, and I think the result of the mind trick is all chance. Most of the time, the clones would run into those forcefields or jump to their death, but two out of five would turn on their allies and fire away.

I'm actually hyped for this game no matter what. I like Starkiller more than Kyle.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
It's an incredibly brainless game, and as such it works. When I turn off my brain to play it I have a lot of fun. Inside, my soul weeps.

IanBrazen

Oct 17, 2008
Steve Butts said:
No your not, I miss him too. we need Jedi Knight 4, the combat and force powers were excellent in 2 and 3, so we need a reboot.
If it aint broke dont fix it.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Did they fix his eyelids so it doesn't look like his whole forehead stretches down to cover his eyes?

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Aye, we sure miss old God Katarn.
He beat a fucking kell dragon to death with his bare hands, and that was before he gained any of his jedi abilities. No wonder the Star Wars universe runs on FoK. (Fear of Katarn for those not in the know)

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Fronzel said:
FlameUnquenchable said:
The Star Wars Universe needs to be toned down a lot, and bring things back to a low roar. The whole reason the first story was Epic was because they were small not so powerful people doing big things!!!! Making things more powerful doesn't equate to more epic Lucas, and LucasArts, please learn that.
Remember in the first movie when most people didn't even believe in the Force?

Makes you wonder how they managed that when you can apparently see a Jedi pulling spaceships out of orbit wherever you go.
Well, if you think about it, everybody that saw Starkiller in action, died. Plus, many of the people that formed the Alliance in the beginning, like Bale Organa were alive when Jedi where still many in number.

I actually, I think it is a flaw in the story, timeline-wise. Think about it, at the end of the Revenge of the Sith movie, Luke and Leia, were born. Luke in A New Hope was maybe his early twenties. So, it had been only 20-25 years since the world was plentiful with Jedi and Jedi were well known.

To me it boggles the mind that everybody forgot about the awesomeness of The Force and Jedi powers in only 20-25.

It's on the level of everybody in the world today forgetting that the NES existed.

Edit: OT: I like TFU2, but it does feel lacking, though not in graphics, oh they are sweet.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Kurokami said:
Was there something weird going on with the quality of the video? Maybe on my end? It didn't look particularly spectacular, not that I mean to fixate on graphics but most mediocre (as I understood from this review) atleast look to cater the same graphics as the prequel and there seemed to be a bit of an issue with the framerate or something.

Meh, probably on my end since it wasn't mentioned.

Yeah, I agree that the two lightsabers seems a bit stupid, having one makes using the abilities look much better in my opinion. =]
Now I only played TFU on my Wii so the graphics were a little lower, then on the 360. But I did watch a friend play the game on his 360.

I ended up buying TFU2 for my 360. Comparing the graphics of TFU and TFU2, on the 360. The graphics are better in TFU2. It is definitely shown in the Yoda cameo cut scene. Heck, if the graphics were any better, I would feel like I'm watching a movie with real actors instead of game graphic animation.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I love the Force Unleashed 2! Much better graphics, shorter story yes, but I'd rather have a short but great story mode than a long..... boring..... long story mode any day!

Plus you are a Jedi with awesome force powers and 2 lightsabers. What is there not to like?

I disagree with the point made in the video about having more lightsabers though. If Starkiller had only 1 lightsaber again. Then the lightsaber moves would be similar and not very different to the first game. Having 2 lightsabers adds a new dimension to the combat mechanics.

Also; my favourite part of the entire game....

Mix and match lightsaber colour crystals!

Having red and green lightsabers never gets old.

DP155ToneZone

Good enough for Petrucci on I&W
Aug 23, 2009
Ahh, the burly, rugged, badarse voice of Kyle Katarn.

Cut up and re-edited to perfection.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lslE3P2OZA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmcspADM8d8[/youtube]

I love the Jedi Knight series.

dakaptin

Oct 31, 2010
I agree with the review. However, I must point out one thing: the plural of Jedi is Jedi, not Jedis.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone else think Starkiller looks like he's made out of dough, with raisins for eyes?

The first game was okay, I suppose, but the character models -- especially their eyes -- didn't look that good, and their animations in cutscenes weren't up to much either. I'm surprised they haven't improved it; Starkiller still walks like he has a stick up his backside.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Goddam Force Unleashed was so goddam repetitive!!!! and only 4 hours!!!

I do miss Kyle.... those times were gold compared to this. But something we must not forget was Jedi Academy, and i have to admit i prefered to play has a costumizable apprentice than with a preset JMaster.

Lucas Arts should go back to 3 great games that hit the industry with a blazing effect. They should Battlefront 3 (i know pandemic did those and EA closed them, but Ea still holds the rights for that game and they could do something in epic propotions about it), The jedi Knights (Jedi outcast and jedi academy, etc), meaning they could make another game using the basis of Jedi Knights gameplay, in wich we could create our own character and have decisions that would impact in the end of the game, and KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic), Lets admit it the KOTOR serie was so great and so fucking awsome (i guess bioware is going to work in other projects but i do hope they go back at KOTOR.... wait bioware made the KOTOR series didnt they?).

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
You know something I think it is perfectly fine to have Jedi be as powerful as Starkiller is. The trick is to throw in enemies powerful enough to even things out. Keep in mind that Starkiller is Sith trained. Those guys are way more about brute force.

I prefer the Starkiller character as he is not an "everyman." The "everyman" is boring, a bit of a cop-out. I do think that TFU2 is a step back with respect to his characterization though. The game wasn't long enough to allow the character the time to deal with the possibility that he is not the original Starkiller or the fear of losing Juno. This game felt more like an expansion to the first game rather than a complete story in its' own right.

Complaining about the use of dual lightsabres is just moronic. By that logic single lightsabres are a cliche too. Dual vs.Single blade forms just have different trade-offs. There really is no "impact" involved here. What they were missing was the ability to switch between forms.