Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
I've gotten to the point that I flat out refuse to play another Star Wars game. Why is that, you ask?

One: There is this obsession with the OT's storyline. I don't want to have anything to do with Darth Vader, Palpatine, and god help you if the storyline revolves around a Death Star. It's not interesting; it's repetitive, and it just screws up the canon because you end up having about twenty Force-sensitive badasses that were all contributing towards the destruction of the Death Star.

Two: I do not want to be a Jedi anymore. I'm tired of it. In my eyes, there's nothing less interesting about "normal" people than there is about the aforementioned Force-sensitive badasses. Rather, they're more interesting. Anyone remember Republic Commando? Fantastic game, and no one used a lightsaber in it. It was just you, three other dudes (and a few Wookiees), and a lot of targets in your way. It was glorious.

(On this note, if I get into The Old Republic, I will refuse out of principle to be a Sith or any Force User. In fact, I will make a point out of it to hunt down and slaughter as many of those Force-powered emo brats as possible.)

Three: I am SICK of John Williams' soundtrack. It was fantastic the first few hundred hours that it was playing in the background, but now it's just bad. Write some new music, PLEASE.

Oh, and one last problem. In TFU, the lightsaber does not cut. You might as well be bludgeoning your opponents to death with a shiny club.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
It's strange, having your lightsaber the way you want it in a game is a pretty important issue. That's why I liked JK:JA. I mean I get how they're defining Starkiller as a character by giving him his own unique lightsabre style but to be honest the double-reverse lightsabre style... it doesn't look good. It looks pretty crap to be honest. Give me the option to have a good old standard lightsabre and I'll be happy.

Also I wan wondering: with TFU you could change costume and lightsabre colour but the cutscenes wouldn't notice and would just give you the default costume/colour for that stage in the story. That was a pretty big problem in my opinion and it wrecked the whole point of being able to customise your appearance. Have they fixed this for the sequel?

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Steve Butts said:

Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?

Read Full Article
No. I miss him dearly. The DF series is my favourite SW series of all time. The very reason it is great is because it doesn't involve any of the mainstream SW characters, and weaves a story all on its own.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
jedi knight was the best pc shooter experience of that generation, and dark forces was the culmination of the sprite shooters of the previous one\

ah back when lucas arts made real games.....

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Here i thought this game would actually have potential...thats what i get for having hopes.

OT: Kyle Katarn is awesome, and i'd love to see another game/movie about him. for as many people say "There is no chin under Kyle Katarns Beard, only another Bryar pistol". aka. He is to Star Wars, what Chuck Norris is to reality.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Fabian Stetter said:
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^
My Star Wars trivia is rust but I recall Starkiller being the original name for Luke Skywalker's character.

It'll probably be spring of 2011 when this game is cheap on half.com before I bother getting it.

radicaledward92

Dec 29, 2009
Steve Butts said:

Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?

THE ONLY PERSON WHO DESERVES TO DUAL WIELD LIGHTSABERS IS TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN, WE ARE DONE TALKING

Moon_Called

Mar 21, 2009
Well, Steve, you know what they say about lightsabres (shut up Firefox, lightsabres is so a word =I): the more the merrier. That's why Grevious and Darth Maul were so awesome.

Duel wield all the way. B)

But, on-topic: This game is for the Wii, yes? For that reason alone, I won't be getting it. I want a Wii, but I have a deformity in my right hand that makes my thumb not work like a thumb, so I can't use the Wii controller. =c

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
I've lost around 400 hours of my life to Jedi Knight 2's online multiplayer. Why can't they recapture the magic!?

Nekros22

May 15, 2009
There was a discussion on 4chan not long ago about casting Robert Downey Junior for Kyle Katarn.

I almost cried.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Haven't played TFU 1, but both games look fairly interesting. They also look like they could be better. That's not the point here though.

I really have to point this out. In the first game, he reverse-grips his lightsaber. That's all fine and well. Now that the sequel comes out, not only does he use reverse-grip, he does it with two lightsabers! How is that practical and who thought that was a good idea?

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
Fabian Stetter said:
You can't be more badass than Kyle Katarn, no matter how many lightsabers you have...

also....Starkiller? really? Obi wan, Luke and Starkiller? Is he 12yo and was allowed to choose his own name, i mean...the next dark lord will be Darth Sithroxx0r if it continues this way ^^
A little tidbit of Star Wars geekery: Starkiller was originally intended to be Luke's last name in the original movie, but for some reason they changed it Skywalker because it didn't sound as evil, or something.

blueshark217

Aug 15, 2009
The best part of jedi outcast, was your lightsaber really felt like a lightsaber. It could kill enemies just by touching them, including teamates. And when you actually swung, assuming you have saberrealistticombat on, you'll cut them to pieces. Way better than force unleashed. I dont understand why people prefer jedi academy over jedi outcast. I guess its becuase you start with the saber, but frankly, I like the story of outcast better.

blueshark217

Aug 15, 2009
Nekros22 said:
Nekros22 said:
There was a discussion on 4chan not long ago about casting Robert Downey Junior for Kyle Katarn.

I almost cried.
Tears of joy, that is.
Yeah he'd do a good job. he looks enough like him, and he can be humorous, just like kyle.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I'd also like to add I find it amazing General Kota was blinded and then tossed out of a ship that seemed to be hovering in the stratosphere and Mace Windu gets shocked loses and arm and tossed out a skyscraper and is gone forever.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Is it just me or was alot of the footage in this review lagging and had weirdly low quality visuals?
I played the demo and I don't remember the bump mapping, lighting and effects looking that bad.

Its almost like they recorded it from the pc version and had it not only running on a machine that couldn't handle it but with all the settings set low as well.