Review: StarCraft II

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: StarCraft II

It only took 12 years, but this sequel was worth it.

Read Full Article

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
I have a games-more-than-ready PC, and I'm not buying this.

Not until they support LAN, at the very least.

BTW, the title for this should be "Review: StarCraft 2's Single Player"

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
paketep said:
I have a games-more-than-ready PC, and I'm not buying this.

Not until they support LAN, at the very least.
Huh, your denying yourself so much pleasure but whatever you say.
Its kind of amazing for me to utter devote myself to a game despite the numerous frustrating technical choices surrounding the game (region locking et al).

Electric Gel

Mar 26, 2009
Is it just me or have the character designs really lost a lot of their originality in the transition to such high end graphics? Kerrigan especially, she looks like typical ultra sexed up woman number four now.

On a positive note it does look like a smashing game, and I can't wait to play it. Just a tad disappointed with how their art directions gone.

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
I enjoyed the game but it did feel like the story is rushed through, not much time spent on each part of the story.

Still a great game, even if it seems to be slowing down the longer i replay it.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I can safely say that I love this game. I haven't finished the campaign yet, I'm still so stuck in the multiplayer. But I'll get to it...someday.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am loving the game, and, I am still working through the campaign and getting the achievement!

Well worth its 5 Stars!

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
Just beat the campaign last night and really enjoyed it. Between the campaign, ranked matches (1v1, and team), challenges, custom maps, and achievement hunting this game will last me through to December.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I beat it but I had some problems with the story. I made a topic about it but I'll re-post here.

OK now I have beaten SC2:WoL story and I have a few questions about the story.

1. OK first off in the story recap during the install it pretty much skips over most of what happened in brood war. Like no mention of the UED. Is Blizzard retconning this, or just ignoring it?

2. So at the end of the story Kerrigan APPARENTLY becomes human again (I did warn about spoilers). But while the rest of her looks human her hair is still the zerg tendrals. So is she all human now, part human, I'm confused?

3. So it would seem that Mengsk is the one who is controlling Tychus, and his mission was to kill Kerrigan. First off earlier in the story it talks about how he is reluctant to do this. Why? until the very end of the game she is a force of destruction and death through out the galaxy, even Raynor says he'd probably have to put her down.

4. Also it's revealed that Mengsk can hear and see what Tychus does. But Tychus is a key player in the missions where you steal the Odin and use it to ultimately reveal Mengsks involvement in the genocide on Tarsonis. So why did Mengsk allow what would be such a terrible blow to his regime continue?

here's a link to the thread if you would prefer to comment there,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.220785-SPOILERS-Questions-disscussion-about-Star-Craft-2-story-SPOILERS#7444726

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I'm on the last mission now, and expect to finish the campaign tonight. So far it's excellent, though from the storyline I've been able to get so far it really seems like Blizzard is setting up for a World of StarCraft kind of game after the trilogy is over.

Honestly, I don't think the multiplayer can hold up to how great the variety of the campaign was, or at least not until people get used to the scripting system and create some maps that have more complexity than simply "kill the other player" arena matches. After the success of Defense of the Ancients, I would have thought that Blizzard would have released with a bit more game variety in the multiplayer.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Question for those who have bought it:

Is it worth getting if I have no interest in multiplayer and kinda-sorta enjoyed the original?

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Review: StarCraft 2

It only took 12 years, but this sequel was worth it.

Read Full Article
I thought you were told to never use that phrase again... Terrible damage...

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Zhukov said:
Question for those who have bought it:

Is it worth buying for someone (that is to say, me) who has no interest in multiplayer and kinda-sorta enjoyed the original?
Get ready for massive DRM, The story is good, the levels are just copy and pasted from WC3

remember you wont be able to play this game THROUGH LAN so if you want to VS your brother sister friends etc you wont be able to

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Xocrates said:
ionveau said:
Why was nothing said about the DRM?
Because the only DRM worth mentioning is online activation which is par for the course these days?
1 account per CD KEY(you cant even play the game without the account so dont lose it)
no AI without internet
No lan