Review: Street Fighter IV

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
notoriouslynx said:
I'm gonna get this game at Toys R us, the deal there is great. If you get this game, you get COD: WaW or some other games for 25$ and a SF4 figurine.

Great review also!
*points at your icon* I need to start a new game of Okami. Like, right now.

Figrut

Oct 29, 2008
A really big part of sf2 for me was the damn catching and memorable music and the eye poping colorful stages that were the extreme essences of the characters flavour. I cannot remeber the last time I played a fighting game where it was considered to be homefield advantage for playing in your characters stage against an apponent not due to any technical advantage, but due to the atmosphere. The music and stages are all just bleh now. I will always miss the overly sterotyped kalideoscopic 2 and a half screen widths of yore.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Got the game, been having loads of fun with it.
But then, I'm a fighting game fan...

Haven't been online yet, want to unlock the characters and get some basic combo's in my fingers first. Due to all the multiple button inputs it seems a stick is almost mandatory.

The tutorial is good but sometimes falls short in explaining stuff, omitting that you need to dash forward after a max charge focus attack to connect a crouching MP for example. Timing of moves is more forgiving than it was in previous games but still pretty precise.

Weird sidenote on the video:
Thought you pronounced Arendt differently. But it must have slowly mutated throughout the ages. Waht with Arendt being a German name and arend (or adelaar) meaning eagle in Dutch, which is my native tongue. I figure both came from the same root word in Germanic or Saksen somewhere.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

I might buy a 360 just for this, dammit!
PC Port for Street Fighter? Man I'd just skip it then try to play it on a PC.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Flying-Emu said:
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

But Schmoopy, it's a long ways off. They haven't even announced the release date for it yet.

There's also the fact that it's gonna require specs higher than Starcraft or KOTORII, so I'm screwed in that department.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Vortigar said:
Weird sidenote on the video:
Thought you pronounced Arendt differently. But it must have slowly mutated throughout the ages. Waht with Arendt being a German name and arend (or adelaar) meaning eagle in Dutch, which is my native tongue. I figure both came from the same root word in Germanic or Saksen somewhere.
Yes, my pronunciation is definitely the Americanized version, though kudos to you for knowing the true version. :)

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
i have SF2, SF 2 turbo and SF alpha, this looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a go. btw isn't there another SF on xbox? on the xbl arcade or something?

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Wait a minute it's not on PS3? or Wii? /suicide

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.

Kiroshimatsu

Oct 17, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Flying-Emu said:

I'm down for some online versus mode!

I was in and out of the fighting games... I started out watching the uber guys in the arcade (school has/had and arcade), started playing, but then dropped it because of plateau-ing skill issues. Maybe I'll give this one a shot...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
stormcaller said:

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.
It is indeed out on PS3!

Edit: Wrong console. D'oh. Brainfart!

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
picked it up last night for PS3, man, it looks totally amazing, plays pretty well too, but I suck so hard that it's difficult to know for sure :)

i think i need an arcade stick tho....

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:

It is indeed out on PS3!

Edit: Wrong console. D'oh. Brainfart!
*Stormcaller's interpreter casts Redemption*

See kids, Paladins are useful for something after all!

And on that note: WOOHOO!

Time to also invest in a second controller and some friends now I guess...

Edit: What is this arcade stick and where do I get one?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
CantFaketheFunk said:
By the by, if you guys have XBL, you're welcome to challenge me :)
I just picked it up today, darn you Best Buy not getting shipments on time, give me a few days to catch up and enable my Gold Account again.

Then I'll try and Shoryuken you into the next county.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Slycne said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
By the by, if you guys have XBL, you're welcome to challenge me :)
I just picked it up today, darn you Best Buy not getting shipments on time, give me a few days to catch up and enable my Gold Account again.

Then I'll try and Shoryuken you into the next county.
Dude. You're right across the room.

If we need XBL for this, then something is very strange.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
BIGpanda said:
how come the wii isn't seeing a release date?
Because Capcom can't be arsed porting it is my guess.

The Wii isn't that much weaker than the X-Box or PS3, but it's probably weak enough that it would require some work (like Dead Rising).

There's also the fact that most companies are too busy flooding the market with crappy party games to care that the Wii also has a more hardcore faction who are dying to see anything get released.