Review: Super Mario Galaxy 2

aubreym

Oct 3, 2009
there were..... too many...... jokes....
the face ship bit was funnily awkward and then luigi made me cry. and then the bank toad made me cry blood. =(

I am sorry, i love your reviews honestly, but there was too much emphasis it being a "fun" review for my tastes.

and now my carpet is stained.... crap, how am going to get all that blood out?

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
It looks as though the ninja is gone.
But on topic, I'm so glad this game is coming out next week. Finally, another decent Nintendo game. Coming soon, Metroid: Other M.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ThisNewGuy said:
By the way, "your opinion by blaming a good game for being bad though it's not really true, because the game is good regardless of your personal opinion" is an oxymoron. Isn't "good" an opinion? A good thing for one person could be bad for another person, can't it?
Not in my opinion, no. A thing's value remains relatively constant no matter what the individual thinks. Take, oh, I dunno, something like fast food. As food goes, it's utter garbage, but you might still really enjoy it. Or you may look at a plate of the finest fois gras in the world and say "Thanks, I'll pass." Doesn't change the fact that the fast food is crap and the foie gras is haute cuisine.

That said, you're not exactly breaking some cosmic law by not liking something good - or enjoying something bad. You don't care for the 3D Mario games? Perfectly fair. I couldn't stand SM64, personally, because the camera drove me batty, so I definitely see where you're coming from. The game isn't bad, it's just not something you enjoy - which is a perfectly valid and reasonable thing.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I really don't get how some of the people here can still write bad things about the game.

It appears to be the epitome (difficult word this) of FUN!!!

I appreciate the whole fanboyism - console war thingy, but there must be a thing called common sense.

This game is fun on a molecular level!!! How can you NOT enjoy it? Are you sure you are human?

On another note, it seems Nintendo is going the opposite way from everyone else, again. We get another great "gamers game", while Sony and MS are trying to focus on the casuals.

There you go.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, and the banktoad changes his appearance depending on how many star bits you've deposited. At 1000, he switches to glasses, at 2000, he switches to a spear and shield. So he's not always being...friendly...with a star bit.
Does he whisper "Pay me to make it stop..."?
Because I would. That would be terrifying...

Nice review anyway, looking forward to getting this immediately. I'm splitting this with my 12 year old sister. And my girlfriend is really looking forward to it too. Everyone I know loved Galaxy so this is good news!

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Susan is good at making me want a game that is so topsy turvy spinny winny wibbly wobbly that it would likely give me a headache a try.

I need to borrow this game. :)

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
definitely gonna buy this on sunday, it will make an excellent Victoria day holiday! hope it is longer and harder than the first one though. hehe, longer and harder.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
ThisNewGuy said:
Well, I never liked 3D mario since the camera and the platforming don't work well together, but I still gave SMG a try due to its high praise. And I was utterly disgusted and disappointed by that game due to the same poor control dressed up with interesting looking but ultimately the same level designs.

Hearing that this game is just more of the same still has me pretty skeptical. I guess I just gotta try it out at Bestbuy or something.
Hmm I'd say that if you did not like the first one all of the reviews have been pointing out that this is incredibly similar, and I doubt they have changed the things that you do not like (Camera Views and such), So I would probably recommend renting it if even.

Back on to the game, I have not played SMG1 but all I have been hearing are rave reviews, and being an avid fan of SM64 and SMS this is starting to get me interested in them. It may indeed be time for a blockbuster run :)

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
ThisNewGuy said:
By the way, "your opinion by blaming a good game for being bad though it's not really true, because the game is good regardless of your personal opinion" is an oxymoron. Isn't "good" an opinion? A good thing for one person could be bad for another person, can't it?

I thought that's what I said. If it isn't, that's what I meant. I don't like SMG because I don't like 3D Mario platforming because I don't like the way the camera works with its platforming. I felt that the level designs are generally the same that looks different.

And I do like 3D platforming. Ratchet and Clank and the Jak series are some of my favorite games of all time, but jumping in the Z axis in those games somehow feels much more natural to me than for 3D mario games.
You certainly meant that, but what you said, was more of a "This game has bad controlls and camera, that's why I don't like it" instead of "I don't like the controlls and the camera in this game, that's why I don't like it".

ThisNewGuy said:
It would only be an oxymoron if there were no objective criteria for a good 3D Plattformer, but there are objective criteria for a good 3D Plattformer, because of that it is possible, that a good 3D Plattformer can still not be liked by someone, because he or she doesn't like certain aspects of the game and not because of the bad quality of the said game. However, if you like a game or not depends 100% on your personal taste, since the objective criteria for liking or not liking something do not exist.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Not in my opinion, no. A thing's value remains relatively constant no matter what the individual thinks. Take, oh, I dunno, something like fast food. As food goes, it's utter garbage, but you might still really enjoy it. Or you may look at a plate of the finest fois gras in the world and say "Thanks, I'll pass." Doesn't change the fact that the fast food is crap and the foie gras is haute cuisine.
I'll go ahead and throw my argument out here and say, no, good and bad are not constants. Lets work with the example you have given. You say that fast food is bad and haute cuisine is good. But what is this based on, how can this be proven as fact?

Honestly it boggles my mind that you think good and bad are facts, and that people who disagree are wrong. How do you quantify this or explain it? How would someone discern this universal truth of what is "good" and what is "bad"?

Ok that came off as a bit ranty. Not trying to flame, but I very confused as to your logic.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eric the Orange said:
Susan Arendt said:
I'll go ahead and throw my argument out here and say, no, good and bad are not constants. Lets work with the example you have given. You say that fast food is bad and haute cuisine is good. But what is this based on, how can this be proven as fact?

Honestly it boggles my mind that you think good and bad are facts, and that people who disagree are wrong. How do you quantify this or explain it? How would someone discern this universal truth of what is "good" and what is "bad"?

Ok that came off as a bit ranty. Not trying to flame, but I very confused as to your logic.
Good food will not be high in fat, sodium, or preservatives. It's an accepted fact that fast food is not good food. Doesn't mean it isn't yummy as hell, but it is not good food.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Good food will not be high in fat, sodium, or preservatives. It's an accepted fact that fast food is not good food. Doesn't mean it isn't yummy as hell, but it is not good food.
Ok so "good" in the case of food your defining as healthy. But that alone can be argued. Some may define "good" food by taste, or price, or ease or making. It's still an opinion to choose that as what good is. Admittedly health is a more definable thing than say taste, but still.

And how dose this apply to video games, or movies, or art in general. How can they be quantified in such a way that there is a clear "winner". Price of the game, development time, those are the only two I can think of that are straight facts.

(using all those quotation marks for "emphasis" makes me feel like Dr.Evil)

standokan

May 28, 2009
I totally lol'd at the faceship and am thinking about playing it at my friends house.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Two things I want to know:

1. How many of the SM64 levels do they showcase? Is Whomp's Fortress the only one?

2. Do we get to see Rosalina again?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Eric the Orange said:
Susan Arendt said:
Ok so "good" in the case of food your defining as healthy. But that alone can be argued. Some may define "good" food by taste, or price, or ease or making. It's still an opinion to choose that as what good is. Admittedly health is a more definable thing than say taste, but still.

And how dose this apply to video games, or movies, or art in general. How can they be quantified in such a way that there is a clear "winner". Price of the game, development time, those are the only two I can think of that are straight facts.

(using all those quotation marks for "emphasis" makes me feel like Dr.Evil)
I was going by quality, not healthy, per se, though the two do go often go together. Obviously good and bad are sliding scales, and I'm not really looking for an argument about it. My point was simply that there's nothing wrong with not liking a good game, and that whether or not you like something is not a determination of whether the thing in question actually has value. The example I typically use is my own dislike of GTA. I don't like the games, does that mean they're not good? Of course it doesn't. Same thing applies here.

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
[Cold-Shoulder said:
]Good review as always.
This game might finally give me a reason to dust off the Wii and take it out for another go. :D
Will there be any chance that the next review on the Escapist will be Red Dead Redemption?
About a 100% chance, yep. :)
Awesome! :D