Review: Super Mario Galaxy 2

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I'm buying it regardless, but I'm still not completely sold on the idea. I don't think I ever finished Luigi mode in the first one simply because I got bored. I hated Super Mario Bros Wii because it was so unoriginal and easy. That's where most of the skepticism comes from, since they made so much money off of that game. I think I got more excitement out of Bit Trip Runner than I'll get out of Galaxy 2. I'm probably wrong, but I had so much fun with Bit Trip Runner. Hard games hold my attention.

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Well, I never liked 3D mario since the camera and the platforming don't work well together, but I still gave SMG a try due to its high praise. And I was utterly disgusted and disappointed by that game due to the same poor control dressed up with interesting looking but ultimately the same level designs.

Hearing that this game is just more of the same still has me pretty skeptical. I guess I just gotta try it out at Bestbuy or something.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Excellent Review!

Me and my mom are both looking foreword to this game.
[sup]What?....she loved 64 and Sunshine.......[/sup]

it looks great, the Levels look fun, and i like the new power ups.
Turning into a Bolder?
Sweet!

Susan Arendt
Space ship? More like FACE Ship. Amirite?
nice [http://www.instantrimshot.com/]

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
ThisNewGuy said:
Well, I never liked 3D mario since the camera and the platforming don't work well together, but I still gave SMG a try due to its high praise. And I was utterly disgusted and disappointed by that game due to the same poor control dressed up with interesting looking but ultimately the same level designs.

Hearing that this game is just more of the same still has me pretty skeptical. I guess I just gotta try it out at Bestbuy or something.
...what kind of games DO you enjoy? And you know you can change camera modes (and have been able to in every 3D mario game, ever). You're not impressing anyone by not jumping on the bandwagon here.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Funniest escapist staff review yet. Great work!
But I will always stand by Luigi being better than Mario. He's the better plumber anyway.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
And they said L4d 2 did't change enough! Besides Yoshi, there isn't much that couldn't just make this a "too large to release as an expansion" expansion. Also calling Yoshi an inovation is like making a Max Payne game without bullet time, but then making a sequel to that with "bullet time inovation".

The Root Beer Guy

Apr 1, 2010
Good review as usual. This is shaping up to be one of the best reviewed games of the year. I just might have to make my first Mario purchase in many years.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I'm saddened by the lack of an interesting overworld to explore; one of my favorite things about Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy were the beautiful overworlds that you got to explore each time you returned after a level.

Even so, this might just be my first video game purchase of the summer, due to all of the wonderful reviews and the fact that I completely loved the original.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SuperMse said:
I bet John Funk is upset that he didn't get to do this review.
You have no idea :(

I used the puppy dog eyes, but they had no effect on Susan.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Susan, you are an excellent reviewer. A joy to read and a lot of fun to watch. I laughed more at your review supplement than I have at Zero Punctuation. Good stuff.

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Looks good, not that I was expecting anything less. The first time I played SMG I felt underwhelmed, but I think that was because I was trying to play through it just for the sake of beating it. When I came back to it a few months later, I realized the sheer brilliance of the level design and found it was one of my favorite games of the gen.

On another note, though, anyone else absolutely hate the "humor" in the Escapist's video reviews? I never find it funny, and it usually makes me cringe. I was excited when the narrator said she'd stop early on... but then she went back to lame jokes again and again. I love the written reviews, but really...

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
I didn't even know SMG2 was coming out already...awesome! Ooh maybe the price of the first game will go down too so I can actually own my own copy. Probably not, but I can dream.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Bad puns aside, great reveiw :) it is a bummer about yoshi, but look on the bright side, we get a Mario 64 level!

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Good video, not that I wasn't going to get it anyway.

Then again, I just beat #1 for the first time yesterday, so I'm a little high on Mario right now.