Review: Super Street Fighter IV

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I didn't bother buying the original SFIV because I was considering it right when this one was announced. I'll have to borrow my buddies original version and make a save file so I can get those 'cool alternate costumes'
I do think they kind of grifted people here. $40 (us) is awfully steep for what is essentially a patch and a couple downloads.

Armored Prayer said:
Wait... SF4 has a Turk fighter? AWESOME! We Turks need to be in more games.
Do all turkish people have turquoise sprockets welded to their heads or is it just Hakan?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The timing for attack combos is still WAAAAAAY too strict. I can't even do a simple STAND LK->STAND MK half the time.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Wait, they actually added Ibuki?

SOLD

I mean, I don't own the original SF4 anyways

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
The timing for attack combos is still WAAAAAAY too strict. I can't even do a simple STAND LK->STAND MK half the time.
Well, it's the same engine with refinements. I personally didn't even expect that to change.

But normals generally don't chain into each other in SF4 (unless they're light attacks) so something like s.lk>s.mk is a link (i.e. you explicitly have to wait until an attack ends before you can hit the next one). But which character has this link, anyway? None of the characters I remember playing has that.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Question to people who already played either SFIV or SSFIV: I don't play online, and I'm using my PS3 to play fighting games with my friends occasionally, so actually single player is important to me. Is there some interesting SP modes, some kind of story mode, or just simple and boring arcade 'beat 8 random dudes + boss and thanks for playing'?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I love large, red, lubed up... turkish people?

Also, did i hear the nuke count down from MW2 at the end, or have i been playign too much COD =[

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Yossarian1507 said:
Is there some interesting SP modes, some kind of story mode, or just simple and boring arcade 'beat 8 random dudes + boss and thanks for playing'?
No, the single player content is pretty non-existent aside from the arcade mode. You have the trials that teach you (largely suboptimal and downright weird) combos and the arcade mode for the most part and that's it. There were speed challenges in the original but those are replaced with car and barrel breaking stages.

There's actually less reason to play single player in general since all the characters are unlocked from the get-go (unlike vanilla SF4) and you get most titles, colors and taunts simply by playing multiplayer unlike the previous game. I personally think this is a good thing.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Sheepzor said:
Woe Is You said:
Sheepzor said:
How did vega play?
I can answer this as I play charge characters mostly in (S)SF4. He now has a proper overhead, his ultra II can be comboed into (in fact, there are very few instances you'd want to use his other ultra anymore), his moves are slightly bit faster and his super does almost a third more damage than it used to. He's not awesome or anything but I wager he's a solid mid-tier character now.
When you say slightly faster does that mean the priority is better? Sick of him getting stuffed mid move.
No, I mean moves feel like they're having less startup overall. This is mostly just me playing against other players and dicking around with the practice mode so it isn't based on actual data. The hitboxes seem to have been adjusted a bit, though, and his scarlet terror seems to trade in many of the situations where it would otherwise get stuffed in vanilla. It doesn't hit clean but a traded scarlet terror means a free ultra for Vega so it's not all bad.

opiwankenobi

Oct 10, 2008
I don't know, I steel feel cheated about SSF4. Or at least disappointed about Capcom for not releasing the new Fighters as dlc. I just don't have another 40? to spend for 10 new characters. -__-

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
ace_of_something said:
I didn't bother buying the original SFIV because I was considering it right when this one was announced. I'll have to borrow my buddies original version and make a save file so I can get those 'cool alternate costumes'
I do think they kind of grifted people here. $40 (us) is awfully steep for what is essentially a patch and a couple downloads.

Armored Prayer said:
Wait... SF4 has a Turk fighter? AWESOME! We Turks need to be in more games.
Do all turkish people have turquoise sprockets welded to their heads or is it just Hakan?
Maybe the ones on the east side of the country have them too. I've never been there.

Odd... it never notified me that you quoted me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, it's the same engine with refinements. I personally didn't even expect that to change.

But normals generally don't chain into each other in SF4 (unless they're light attacks) so something like s.lk>s.mk is a link (i.e. you explicitly have to wait until an attack ends before you can hit the next one). But which character has this link, anyway? None of the characters I remember playing has that.
I was actually just making a random example. It's hard trouble "linking" two attack together, then, I suppose. The timing is really strict. I hit brick walls in Challenge mode thanks to this timing being so strict. For example...I'm stuck on a Juri challenge.

Crouch LK, Crouch LK, Standing MK

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
opiwankenobi said:
I don't know, I steel feel cheated about SSF4. Or at least disappointed about Capcom for not releasing the new Fighters as dlc. I just don't have another 40? to spend for 10 new characters. -__-
I don't think it's 40 euro (well, depends on the country I guess).

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Well of course the Tea Kwon Do fighter uses mostly her legs.Tea Kwon Do is all about self defense with your legs.

Otherwise great review that gave a lot of insight of something that is not something that I really had any interest in...Until now.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Didn't the producer state that SSF4 would include some kind of bonus for buyers who've already purchased the original? Does anyone know if it's still in there?

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
I really enjoyed this review, but with that said, I personally disagree with the final score.

I find it hard to justify spending $40 on a game that's basically the same as the original that I've already owned. Maybe after a few price drops. Anyways, great review.

Keivz said:
If T-Hawk is Indian, what does that make Dhalsim?
cheap

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I was actually just making a random example. It's hard trouble "linking" two attack together, then, I suppose. The timing is really strict. I hit brick walls in Challenge mode thanks to this timing being so strict. For example...I'm stuck on a Juri challenge.

Crouch LK, Crouch LK, Standing MK
That much I can admit: the links have really tight windows to them (some as small as a frame). The good thing is that most of these links are just fancy stuff that you don't actually need to learn to enjoy the game (unless you're playing Balrog, C.Viper or Blanka for instance).

In fact, some of the combos the trial mode teaches are downright suboptimal anyway. Chun's close HK, FADC, EX lightning legs is a bizarre example of this. The game would have you burn 3 meters for this when you only have to burn one with close HK, EX LL.