Review: Tales of Monkey Island: Episode 4 - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Review: Tales of Monkey Island: Episode 4 - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood

The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood is the penultimate episode of the series, but it doesn't show much promise.

Read Full Article

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I have to disagree as I found Trial and Execution to be the series best so far, especially the twist ending. I think it did well reintroducing a well loved character and seemed to flesh out some other parts of the game we didn't get to see previously. The puzzles were slightly above average in their complexity and required a little more logical thinking than the other games.

It also introduces an element of mystery into the Voodoo Lady that brings the game very close to the Pirates of the Caribbean plot ark. With the addition of Rise of a Pirate God (which I found to be incredibly short by comparison to Trial) it winds a lovely story of love, redemption and betrayal that culminates into both an ending AND a beginning for the refreshed franchise. All I can tell you is that the door will remain open for more without leaving you hanging on the main story and her amazing cast.

Nojh

Occipital Ostritch
Aug 10, 2009
I'll disagree as well but mostly because I am a fan of the series so if you feel that biases my opinion, feel free to disregard me. Personally I enjoy the pace of an adventure game. I'm invested in the characters and the plot by now and find the episodic release of the game to be useful to my gamer life style where I generally don't have a lot of time to play. Trial and Execution had a nicely surprising ending, I felt, which caught me, a long time fan of the series, rather off guard and clawing for the final episode.

LeChuckie

Apr 23, 2009
I think repetitive dialogue is the only point I aree with I'm afraid. I'm not sure the reviewer knows what he's talking about concerning Stan, as a fan myself I would have been much more infuriated had Stan not appeared. Generally I found the whole series to be top notch with this possibly the outstanding episode of the series.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Xzi said:
You know, some time ago I was debating on whether or not to buy Tales of Monkey Island on XBLA. Back then I had no clue that it was just one chapter of many. Now I know I won't be buying it unless they bundle all the episodes into one package later for a reasonable price.
Seriously. Talk about trying to bleed us all dry...wallets only so deep.

Valkatron

Apr 22, 2009
I love Monkey Island, have played them all now. I just finished this series and though i am (extremely) biased i loved these as much as the last lot.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Well, I've recently finished Rise of the Pirate God and I can say I really liked the last three episodes. Of course they were a bit simple, but the dialogue was very well written and some puzzles were pretty inventive. Of course I'm also a huge fan of the series as a whole, so my judgment may be a bit clouded. Still, Tales of Monkey Island is definately a worthy entry in the series and still a lot better than Escape from Monkey Island.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I agree and disagree, it's not the greatest of the episodes but it's better then Lair of the Leviathon. I enjoyed the inclusion of Stan, and thought it quite logical that he'd be the type to get a Law degree via correspondants. Would have been better to include more background characters in general, the island does feel very empty. I think they pulled it off with the final episode very well, but as you've said they have issues with repetition of lines far too often.

Xzi said:
You know, some time ago I was debating on whether or not to buy Tales of Monkey Island on XBLA. Back then I had no clue that it was just one chapter of many. Now I know I won't be buying it unless they bundle all the episodes into one package later for a reasonable price.
You have to pay for all episodes seperately? On steam we just paid once and get all 5 episodes. As they were released, I started to get annoyed after finishing each one and waiting for the next to come around!

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I have to totally disagree with this review as well. Both #4 and #5 were awesome. (And why was this review delayed so much? #5 has been out for well over a week now and this is still talking about it in future tense.)

And as for purchasing the game, I pity the poor people who get it on XBLA or Wii; not only are they significantly delayed (console testing/review periods, apparently; not Telltale's fault), but you have to buy each separately.

On Steam you can buy all five in one go, for significantly cheaper than the individual games. And if you buy directly from Telltale then not only can you get them in one cheaper bundle, but if you do then you can get a disc copy for free+shipping as well. (And usually they have a cheap bundle of amusing souvenirs as well; who said "feelies" were dead?)

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Xzi said:
Tales isn't on XBLA, you're looking at the remake of the original, which by the way, is completely worth the 800 point price tag.

viperthejedi

Jan 19, 2010
I love Monkey Island but these new games just aren't up to the greatness of the originals. The XBLA version of Secret of Monkey Island is amazing though. Love the updated graphics.