Review: The Maw

Peach_hat

Jan 7, 2009
nilcypher said:
Peach_hat said:
Her voice annoys me.
Is your rudeness confined solely to the internet, or don't you have any manners in the real world either?
My rudeness was a backlash to her putting me on probation for posting pointless threads.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Except when you make it to the end of a level, only to find out that you have to backtrack and eat some more whatevers to make sure he's had enough, which happened to me. I had to, in essence, backtrack through half the level to go knock down trees and flush out Yums so that The Maw was full enough to allow me to proceed. I didn't need to eat them to solve any puzzles, just to be allowed to exit.
I had to do that too. It annoyed me because the movement speed feels so slow on the bigger levels, not because I had to spend time tracking down the Yums. It didn't even take me that long.

Susan Arendt said:
And yes, he can slurp up several Yums at a time once he's big enough, but you still have to get him in the right vicinity. You can't simply lead him to the area, let him go, and have him run around eating things. He stays pretty much in place and won't go after food unless you give him a nudge.
I forgot to mention; almost all of the special abilities he gets help him eat a lot faster. I will admit that smashing the snails and hunting Yums is repetitive, but it's hardly time consuming. Most of the time it's worth it just to watch him grow bigger and bigger as well, rather than having the growth occur magically between levels if you didn't eat enough. After all, eating is the point of the entire game.

Susan Arendt said:
Also, wanted to point out that the just-announced DLC will add three more levels to the game
Wait, will I have to pay for extra content on an downloadable game? That's retarded (assuming you do have to pay).

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Peach_hat said:
D_987 said:
Peach_hat said:
Her voice annoys me.
Susans or the aliens?
Susan's. I'm Australian though so it is probably just the accent.
Why would you be so mean to Susan? I don't get it?

Other than ZP, her reviews and Russ's are my favorite reviews on the site.
He was ticked that I put him on probation - not a ban, mind, but probation - for posting a pointless thread, so he decided he'd try to hurt my feelings. Not the most mature of ways to handle it, really.

And yes, you will have to pay for the new levels. $1.25 a piece, I believe.

Zankabo

Sep 14, 2008
I loved this game, even did it first time through catching all the critters and eating them. Once the Maw gets big enough he can eat the snails whole too, so that was fun.

Maybe it was a bit repetitive, but the game was so cool looking I never really noticed. Little things, like how the Maw reacts to the things that scare him, and the interaction between him and frank, just really made me enjoy this game. Plus the soundtrack was great, the cut-scenes worked well, and the gameplay was very enjoyable.

The game was a bit on the short side, but I think because it was short the elements of it never annoyed me or got really old. Course, I still want me some more content for it!

Plus, the developers are cool, got to talk with one of them at PAX (and even got a cool Maw t-shirt) and how much they enjoyed their own game really was a selling point for me.

So, anywho, if you have an xbox you need to get this game! Unless, you know, yur a 15 year old boy who is afraid people will make fun of him for liking a cute game.. in which case stick to your bloody FPS stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and take a look at the website. They have a bunch of background info on the critters, and why they are being imprisoned and so on.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I found the trial game very repetitive and tedious, and that was only 15 minutes.

I can't imagine going through similar lapses of boring repetition for hours on end.

I can definitely see people enjoying this, though - and the visuals and the great soundtrack almost make up for the gameplay. Almost.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Except when you make it to the end of a level, only to find out that you have to backtrack and eat some more whatevers to make sure he's had enough, which happened to me. I had to, in essence, backtrack through half the level to go knock down trees and flush out Yums so that The Maw was full enough to allow me to proceed. I didn't need to eat them to solve any puzzles, just to be allowed to exit.
I've never had that problem with it, but then I was approaching the game as a collect-a-thon from the beginning, so it was natural for me to be big enough to complete the level long before I was actually near the end. That's also why I don't mind having to have the Maw on the leash to make him eat. It's a "Collect the things" game, if it collected them for you there'd be all but no game left. The Maw has about the same collect range as Sparx does in the Spyro games.

. I will admit that smashing the snails and hunting Yums is repetitive, but it's hardly time consuming
You also only have to do so once. The second time you encounter snails you have the shooty power, which can break them, and from then on the Maw is big enough to just eat them anyway.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Peach_hat said:
Her voice annoys me.
Are you kidding? I'm Australian and I would marry a girl with Susan's voice!

How about it, Susan? Wanna get hitched? ;)