Review: The Saboteur

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I for one am shocked that the Escapist's continued demonstration of integrity and cleverness hasn't caused the Internet to implode from sheer improbability.
Which is exactly why I frequent this place so damned often.

BlueInkAlchemist said:
It doesn't sound awful per se, and I like tits as much as the next guy. But I don't know if it's worth 60 US dollars.
Oh wait, I meant play not buy, my mistake. Yes, judging by Susan's verdict, it's definitely worth a play, though I don't think I'll be paying more than 20 of my British Pounds to do so. A solid rent by the sounds of things.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I don't get why people are saying the voice acting is so bad. Other than some cliche-sounding accents, it's fine. Certainly no worse than most other games.

It's a little sad that EA seems to have no faith in this one. It's already only $49.99 at most Best Buys. I personally think its quite a bit better than GTAIV, but maybe thats just me.

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
It's so saddening when a game is almost wonderful. Such a waste. I felt that way about Bionic Commando.

I call those Bad Good Games [http://www.pixelpoppers.com/2009/09/spoiled-treasures-and-guilty-pleasures.html].

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
I bought it and I think it's great fun just blowing stuff up and running like hell. Plus the noir style graphics are awesome; but the bright areas look washed out and meh.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
That vid really hasnt sold it for me, looks like its Lego Indy for me then....sigh

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Stonking Great Tits!
With the capitalisation I assume you mean;-

OT - Was still pondering whether to shell out for this. I think it will be one to put on hold until it drops in price somewhat.

Good review Susan.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That's not how Germans say "Saboteur"!
It's always funny to hear others' impression of our language.
Anyway, nice review.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
All this stuff on the accents - am I the only one who thinks they were made intentionally bad?

I've played through: it's a lot of fun, a half decent story and Sean did actually become likable after a while.

A recommendation from me, it be.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Apart form MW2, this is the only game that has really caught my interest this winter. I'm easily impressed so I might pick it up.

Tears of Blood

Jul 7, 2009
Tonimata said:
So after all, I am the only one that can recognize obvious patterns and drive vehicles properly in Halo (don't ask how I always get run over when I (politely) ask to man the turret.)

I don't think I'll go close to this game anyways, my budget is way too tight on game lately.
So very sad.
Oh yeah. I remember the part where you drive a vehicle around and shoot people in the face.

It's an open world game. It's no closer to Assassin's Creed than GTA4 and Prototype are.

EvilJester1214

Dec 24, 2008
It may be another open world game but I'm still gonna have to check it out.
I also approve of "stonking great tits"
AS SHOULD YOU ALL
*pose*

AdamI

Mar 16, 2009
I ruddy love this game. Absolutely love it. I can't put my finger on exactly what I like it so much, apart from to say that where so many games recently have felt almost like...work, this game is just fun. Loads, and loads of fun.

In terms of the criticism as far as acting goes, I think people are missing the (obvious, I thought) point that it's SUPPOSED to be cheesy. Cheesy and funny.

I mean, Nazi to a beautiful French woman "You vill develop a taste for fine German brut-wurst..." for God's sake! It's cheesy comedy genius!

I would definitely urge anybody who was interested in this game until reading one of the lukewarm reviews to at least try/rent it. It's fab. Cheesy, fun, fab.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I'll get this, Zelda:ST, and maybe AC2 with my christmas money this since there's very little out this year for december.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
AdamI said:
I ruddy love this game. Absolutely love it. I can't put my finger on exactly what I like it so much, apart from to say that where so many games recently have felt almost like...work, this game is just fun. Loads, and loads of fun.

In terms of the criticism as far as acting goes, I think people are missing the (obvious, I thought) point that it's SUPPOSED to be cheesy. Cheesy and funny.

I mean, Nazi to a beautiful French woman "You vill develop a taste for fine German brut-wurst..." for God's sake! It's cheesy comedy genius!

I would definitely urge anybody who was interested in this game until reading one of the lukewarm reviews to at least try/rent it. It's fab. Cheesy, fun, fab.
Sorry, have a hard time believing that's true of a game where

Your best friend is tortured and killed because you decided to trash a racecar.

If the game is aiming for a campy vibe, it's utterly missing the mark. But like I said, bad acting aside, if you enjoy sandbox games, you'll more than likely have fun with The Saboteur.