Review: The Sims 3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: The Sims 3

Appeasing your inner voyeur-slash-puppetmaster has never been so much fun.

Read Full Article

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
How did it go.
The recreation. Do you have screenshots? Please. That would be the coolest thing ever if done well.

I'm thinking about buying this now. I think you've convinced me. Although I may wait until there is a stronger modding community before I leap into The Sims 3.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Nice review, I like the game a lot but the graphical glitches (which are probably caused by my video card or driver) put me off big time..

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I tried to play this, but apparently my technically supported GeForce 9300M GS isn't actually supported.
Shucks.

Oh well, maybe some day. I love the idea of the open town. That's what really attracted me to this one.

More on topic: Good review. Love the beginning of the video supplement: 'It's the Sims.' *Credits roll*.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
The review cemented the stuff that I knew and hoped to know about the Sims 3, I have to wait till payday before I can cash in my bloody pre-order slip. (I've had it since February, when it was supposed to bloody come out)
I'll definitely enjoy getting my hands on my own copy.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Glad o know that I'm not the only one with problems with the computer games. And it's weirder cause my fav sim to play is also a scientist

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Strange, the review completely ignores my favorite part from the Sims series; building your own stuff. Designing houses, parks, and in the previous Sims games vacation resorts, restaurants, etc etc etc was incredibly entertaining. The last 2 days I spend about 6 hours building a 50.000 bucks (plus interior, I didn't use cheats, yay for marriage) 2 story house. Living a Sim's life is fun, yes, but it doesn't beat the creative proces of building your own town. That is, imo.

PS: Yes the Sims looks like a meek game, but remember: it's the only game (I can recall) in wich you can torture children (without mods and stuff). So why exactly didn't Jack Thompson trash The Sims yet?

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Assassinator said:
Strange, the review completely ignores my favorite part from the Sims series; building your own stuff. Designing houses, parks, and in the previous Sims games vacation resorts, restaurants, etc etc etc was incredibly entertaining. The last 2 days I spend about 6 hours building a 50.000 bucks (plus interior, I didn't use cheats, yay for marriage) 2 story house. Living a Sim's life is fun, yes, but it doesn't beat the creative proces of building your own town. That is, imo.

PS: Yes the Sims looks like a meek game, but remember: it's the only game (I can recall) in wich you can torture children (without mods and stuff). So why exactly didn't Jack Thompson trash The Sims yet?
just yesterday i filled my house with a bunch of teenagers, brought then up to the second floor then deleted all the stairs and stuff.they all died a week later

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Assassinator said:

Well, that's been a staple of The Sims since the first one. I tried to cover MOSTLY stuff that was new to Sims 3. But yeah, the building your own house thing is always fantastic.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Assassinator said:
I thought he did. Last time I heard, Jack Thompson hailed Sims 2 as a "paedophile training game", in which you could "Have sex with any character, however you wanted, and control every action - regardless of their age."

On topic, however, I'll certainly look into Sims 3 simply because it was neat to make a little Sim, but awesome to design your own home. I used to go through patches of not caring and then suddenly have a burst of playing-to-the-point-of-not-sleeping enthusiasm for the game. Sims games are plain weird how they do that; no other game like it interests me...

lornb

Jan 16, 2009
Assassinator said:
So why exactly didn't Jack Thompson trash The Sims yet?
He did but it was mostly over the nudity mods or the censor removing mods. Something along the lines of pedophiles being able to see the unblurred fully barbied bodies...

Also the modding community have already descended on TS3, they learned how to tweak the skin alphas, remove slider limits and add their own patterns to the game. Joy ^-^

Dammit Anglo beat me!
... >_>

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
I think I'm one of the only people in the world who HAAAATES the sims.

I tried to get into it. I made my own character and hoepd to have fun... but it was so tedious and boring. I spent thirty minutes listening to my guy mumble gibberish with a neighbor with nothing else happening I made the decision that this game can burn in hell for being the most boring waste of plastic in all existance. Maybe I'm being to harsh. Maybe it's just not for me.

I tried to return the game, but the dude just looked at me and tried o explain why it was the "greeteest" game evarr and after ten minutes of listening to this dork ramble on I broke the game disk in front of his face and left. That was satisfying.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I'm wondering how making the Persona 4 characters actually turned out. Do you have screens?

Sims 3 is up there on the list of PC games I need to purchase. Just below Starcraft II.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Having watched that im tempted to buy...however i know it will take over my life over the summer and i would rather that not happen.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I'd enjoy this a lot more if the game wouldn't simply lock my entire computer up after after a while. According to the Sims 3 forums .. I'm not the only one. Here's hoping a patch will fix that. Or should I say.. expansion pack?

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Mariena said:
I'd enjoy this a lot more if the game wouldn't simply lock my entire computer up after after a while. According to the Sims 3 forums .. I'm not the only one. Here's hoping a patch will fix that. Or should I say.. expansion pack?
Oh come on, EA would never do that to u- You know what? Never mind. Carry on!

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The review concentrates too much on what The Sims is about, but I think that almost all of us already know that. It would have been more interesting to know just what differentiates Sims 3 from Sims 2. After reading the review and waching the video, Sims 3 looks almost exactly the same as Sims 2 with slightly better graphics. Is that really all?

Symplify

Jun 13, 2009
That actually looks pretty good, I might buy it. How well would a nVidia 8800 GT OC run it?

I liked the end "It's like looking into a mirror...."

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Symplify said:
That actually looks pretty good, I might buy it. How well would a nVidia 8800 GT OC run it?

I liked the end "It's like looking into a mirror...."
That's what I'm running on my rig :) so it'll look about the same.

Tiamat666 said:
The review concentrates too much on what The Sims is about, but I think that almost all of us already know that. It would have been more interesting to know just what differentiates Sims 3 from Sims 2. After reading the review and waching the video, Sims 3 looks almost exactly the same as Sims 2 with slightly better graphics. Is that really all?
The living town is totally new, and the mood gauge / wishes / careers / customization are all significantly deeper than in Sims 2. But otherwise ... dude, it's The Sims. They're not reinventing the wheel here :p