Review: The Sims 3

FluffX

May 27, 2008
I'll bet someone a kidney they end up popping something completely overpowered in for the last expansion pack. Any takers?

On a slightly less blood-filterly topic, the review has made me really want the game. But I just bought Empire: Total War. Accursed computer-monkies and their demands for actual currency. I will pay you in snail shells and you will like it!

GOATOFRAGE

Jun 20, 2008
ye like Assasinator said, hte best part of the game for me is the creation side
i love making awesome houses (using motherlode mostly)

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I thought one of the big things was that Sims this time around would better be able to take care of themselves (which I think is what they said about The Sims 2 as well).

Are Sims noticeably smarter about not dying this time around?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
zoozilla said:
I thought one of the big things was that Sims this time around would better be able to take care of themselves (which I think is what they said about The Sims 2 as well).

Are Sims noticeably smarter about not dying this time around?
They are more capable of taking care of themselves. However, sometimes their AI gets screwed up and they neglect certain needs in favor of continuing some pointless activity. I've seen Sims stay on a treadmill for hours, only to pass out on the floor after getting off it.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Assassinator said:
Strange, the review completely ignores my favorite part from the Sims series; building your own stuff. Designing houses, parks, and in the previous Sims games vacation resorts, restaurants, etc etc etc was incredibly entertaining. The last 2 days I spend about 6 hours building a 50.000 bucks (plus interior, I didn't use cheats, yay for marriage) 2 story house. Living a Sim's life is fun, yes, but it doesn't beat the creative proces of building your own town. That is, imo.

PS: Yes the Sims looks like a meek game, but remember: it's the only game (I can recall) in wich you can torture children (without mods and stuff). So why exactly didn't Jack Thompson trash The Sims yet?
I agree exactly with this. I only played the sims 1 and I loved building and furnishing my houses most of the game. The day to day life got boring fast but its nice to see they try to fix that with the lifegoals.

RedPanda

May 28, 2009
As admiring and amazing this turned out to be, I wouldn't go ahead and buy it right here and now. Instead, wait a few months and see add ons to the Sims 3 just like Sims 2. Not to mention they will probably allow downloads to have amazing new looks and unreal items. It happened to Sims 2 after a few months it came out then added Sims Pets and Nightlife, so with this I think they will add more to it

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Where is the Foozeball table? I didn't know one existed in that game.

Akaros

Feb 8, 2008
Post the Persona 4 family!

PS: Solid review, which is really tempting me to go out and buy it.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
They are more capable of taking care of themselves. However, sometimes their AI gets screwed up and they neglect certain needs in favor of continuing some pointless activity. I've seen Sims stay on a treadmill for hours, only to pass out on the floor after getting off it.
I think they prioritise commands you've given them. So if you tell them to step on that treadmill, then they will stay on there until you cancel the command, no matter what else happens (even missing work or collapsing). But if they do it of their own accord then they'll usually stop if something more important comes up.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Miral said:
Internet Kraken said:
I think they prioritise commands you've given them. So if you tell them to step on that treadmill, then they will stay on there until you cancel the command, no matter what else happens (even missing work or collapsing). But if they do it of their own accord then they'll usually stop if something more important comes up.
Yeah but I was just observing random Sims that were not under my control.

But the bottom line is that the AI is more competent than in the Sims 2 and the Sims not under your control are capable of taking care of themselves.

nativesoldier

Jun 24, 2009
This review kind of blew.......hard. All that is talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. ITS A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? Completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game. Failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was the building aspect similar to the old or was it renovated what (besides the live town) differed this game from the past Sims...etc. Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or you were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going. The video mentions a few more points (and even those are only in passing) but spends an exuberant amount of time on creating your Sim just as the article, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping hole to attest to that.

Writing: 2/10
Video: 2/10

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Assassinator said:
Strange, the review completely ignores my favorite part from the Sims series; building your own stuff. Designing houses, parks, and in the previous Sims games vacation resorts, restaurants, etc etc etc was incredibly entertaining. The last 2 days I spend about 6 hours building a 50.000 bucks (plus interior, I didn't use cheats, yay for marriage) 2 story house. Living a Sim's life is fun, yes, but it doesn't beat the creative proces of building your own town. That is, imo.

PS: Yes the Sims looks like a meek game, but remember: it's the only game (I can recall) in wich you can torture children (without mods and stuff). So why exactly didn't Jack Thompson trash The Sims yet?
Well, that's been a staple of The Sims since the first one. I tried to cover MOSTLY stuff that was new to Sims 3. But yeah, the building your own house thing is always fantastic.
Actually, you did fail to cover one brand new aspect of building in the Sims 3: applying "Create a Style" to your room designs.

Just as you can do with clothing, you can enter "Create a Style" and edit wallpapers, floors, and furniture. Wish your desk was made of wicker or metal instead of wood? Done. Or for that matter, make your desk leopard print or covered in silk or leather or make it just matte black or whatever. All of the patterns are re-colorable too, so if you want a blue and purple leopard skin print, go for it.

It improves the building situation dramatically... at least if building and aesthetics are fun/important for you in the Sims. Sims 2 was notoriously bad for including build objects that didn't match other build objects... for example, a lovely wine colored wallpaper but looked hideous with whatever you might choose for the floor or furniture. Trying to match wood tones from furnitures, walls, and floors was especially annoying. Being able to edit from "Create a Style" makes all of this go away. It's a very cool feature and definitely deserves mention.

A more minor "build" change would be the new ability to arrange furniture diagonally. Seemingly small, but a player of past Sims installations will appreciate this immensely.

Symplify

Jun 13, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Symplify said:
That actually looks pretty good, I might buy it. How well would a nVidia 8800 GT OC run it?

I liked the end "It's like looking into a mirror...."
That's what I'm running on my rig :) so it'll look about the same.
Fantastic. How much CPU power and RAM do you have? I feel like those two hold me back (1.8 ghz and 2.5 gigs, respectively)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DeathQuaker said:
Actually, you did fail to cover one brand new aspect of building in the Sims 3: applying "Create a Style" to your room designs.

Just as you can do with clothing, you can enter "Create a Style" and edit wallpapers, floors, and furniture. Wish your desk was made of wicker or metal instead of wood? Done. Or for that matter, make your desk leopard print or covered in silk or leather or make it just matte black or whatever. All of the patterns are re-colorable too, so if you want a blue and purple leopard skin print, go for it.

It improves the building situation dramatically... at least if building and aesthetics are fun/important for you in the Sims. Sims 2 was notoriously bad for including build objects that didn't match other build objects... for example, a lovely wine colored wallpaper but looked hideous with whatever you might choose for the floor or furniture. Trying to match wood tones from furnitures, walls, and floors was especially annoying. Being able to edit from "Create a Style" makes all of this go away. It's a very cool feature and definitely deserves mention.

A more minor "build" change would be the new ability to arrange furniture diagonally. Seemingly small, but a player of past Sims installations will appreciate this immensely.
I have a woefully underdeveloped style/fashion sense :(

Symplify said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Symplify said:
That actually looks pretty good, I might buy it. How well would a nVidia 8800 GT OC run it?

I liked the end "It's like looking into a mirror...."
That's what I'm running on my rig :) so it'll look about the same.
Fantastic. How much CPU power and RAM do you have? I feel like those two hold me back (1.8 ghz and 2.5 gigs, respectively)
That... could be a problem. I'm running a 3.6ghz dual core, and 4GB of RAM.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
nativesoldier said:
This review kind of blew.......hard. All that is talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. ITS A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? Completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game. Failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was the building aspect similar to the old or was it renovated. what (besides the live town) differed this game from the past Sims...etc. Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going. The video mentions a few more points (and even that, only in passing) but spends an exuberant amount of time on creating your Sim again, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping whole to attest to that.

It's a little hard to take your writing advice seriously when it's packed full of punctuation errors and malapropisms.

While we're on the subject, did you sign up just to troll the reviews, or is it just a happy coincidence?

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
DeathQuaker said:

I have a woefully underdeveloped style/fashion sense :(
:)

Be that as it may, it is a major, brand new feature. Potential users, particularly those keen on the building aspect, will want to know about it--especially since it's also a primary source of user-made content. Most users who upload items to the official Sims Exchange do so with what they've made in Create-A-Style, and more ambitious modders have already made programs so players can make their own Styles and custom objects.

nativesoldier

Jun 24, 2009
nilcypher said:
nativesoldier said:
This review kind of blew.......hard. All that is talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. ITS A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? Completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game. Failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was the building aspect similar to the old or was it renovated. what (besides the live town) differed this game from the past Sims...etc. Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going. The video mentions a few more points (and even that, only in passing) but spends an exuberant amount of time on creating your Sim again, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping whole to attest to that.

It's a little hard to take your writing advice seriously when it's packed full of punctuation errors and malapropisms.

While we're on the subject, did you sign up just to troll the reviews, or is it just a happy coincidence?
And yet its better than reading "or" every other word. plus that's the only writing advice, that pertained to her actual writing style while the rest I talked about things that should have been included yet you only focused on that...

Call it what you will, but I have been visiting this site for some time and honestly just got tired of the poor quality of some of the reviews here and the only way that I could voice my objections and opinion was by....you guessed it... signing up.

Further more, if I'm not mistaken isn't a troll someone who spams sites with pointless blather in effort to get a raise from the other readers? Well if I'm correct then haven't you just played RIGHT into my hand? It was a simple review of what else I would like (and I'm sure others would as well) in the reviews, nothing more. you however, try for blind judgment with no effort of constructive criticism. THAT seems a bit more trollish than what I did. sooooooooo on that note I don't think I will amuse you anymore unless you would actually like to constructively criticize what I have done by telling me what words I misused. I would ask what punctuational errors you think I have made but that's a slippery slope because you can ask any number of authors to punctuate a short story, or any other writing piece that isn't a formal essay or things of that nature and I guarantee you every single one would be different. So unless what I wrote was intended as an essay (which it wasn't) then I reserve the liberty of artistic freedom just as any other person. (Go talk to a creative writing professor and you will know what I'm talking about). good talk good talk.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
nativesoldier said:
And yet its better than reading "or" every other word. plus that's the only writing advice, that pertained to her actual writing style while the rest I talked about things that should have been included yet you only focused on that...

Call it what you will, but I have been visiting this site for some time and honestly just got tired of the poor quality of some of the reviews here and the only way that I could voice my objections and opinion was by....you guessed it... signing up.

Further more, if I'm not mistaken isn't a troll someone who spams sites with pointless blather in effort to get a raise from the other readers? Well if I'm correct then haven't you just played RIGHT into my hand? It was a simple review of what else I would like (and I'm sure others would as well) in the reviews, nothing more. you however, try for blind judgment with no effort of constructive criticism. THAT seems a bit more trollish than what I did. sooooooooo on that note I don't think I will amuse you anymore unless you would actually like to constructively criticize what I have done by telling me what words I misused. I would ask what punctuational errors you think I have made but that's a slippery slope because you can ask any number of authors to punctuate a short story, or any other writing piece that isn't a formal essay or things of that nature and I guarantee you every single one would be different. So unless what I wrote was intended as an essay (which it wasn't) then I reserve the liberty of artistic freedom just as any other person. (Go talk to a creative writing professor and you will know what I'm talking about). good talk good talk.
You intersperse hostility, metaphors, similes and sexual references in each of your 'review of a review' posts, and you've done it with seemingly no other reason than an attempt at wit. Additionally you include an arbitrary score, which, while perhaps meaningful to you, has no reference or bearing to anyone else. The overall antagonistic nature, combined with the poor quality of writing, make your posts resemble the 'pointless blather' you describe as trolling more than they resemble the constructive, well-thought-out criticism that you claim they are.