Review: The Sims 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
nativesoldier said:
Further more, if I'm not mistaken isn't a troll someone who spams sites with pointless blather in effort to get a raise from the other readers? Well if I'm correct then haven't you just played RIGHT into my hand?
Not really. I'm a moderator as well as a news room contributor. I was getting the measure of you.

sooooooooo on that note I don't think I will amuse you anymore unless you would actually like to constructively criticize what I have done by telling me what words I misused. I would ask what punctuational errors you think I have made but that's a slippery slope.
I disagree. Creative license is one thing, basic errors are another. Just to be 'constructive', I've corrected your original post. You can find the edits under this spoiler tag.

nativesoldier said:
This review kind of blew ... (ellipses are three dots, not seven and there should be a space either side)hard. All that is you talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. (clumsy sentence there) IT'S (missed an apostrophe) A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? You completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game and you failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was whether the building aspect similar to the old or was whether it was renovated or (I know you hate them, but this should be an 'or') what (besides the live town) differed in this game from the past previous Sims games. (no need for an ellipse or the 'etc') Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going (not sure what you mean here). The video mentions a few more points (and even that then, only in passing) but spends an exuberant extraordinate amount of time on creating your Sim again, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping whole hole to attest to that.

Writing: 2/10
Video: 2/10

Needs some work C-

nativesoldier

Jun 24, 2009
paulgruberman said:
nativesoldier said:
And yet its better than reading "or" every other word. plus that's the only writing advice, that pertained to her actual writing style while the rest I talked about things that should have been included yet you only focused on that...

Call it what you will, but I have been visiting this site for some time and honestly just got tired of the poor quality of some of the reviews here and the only way that I could voice my objections and opinion was by....you guessed it... signing up.

Further more, if I'm not mistaken isn't a troll someone who spams sites with pointless blather in effort to get a raise from the other readers? Well if I'm correct then haven't you just played RIGHT into my hand? It was a simple review of what else I would like (and I'm sure others would as well) in the reviews, nothing more. you however, try for blind judgment with no effort of constructive criticism. THAT seems a bit more trollish than what I did. sooooooooo on that note I don't think I will amuse you anymore unless you would actually like to constructively criticize what I have done by telling me what words I misused. I would ask what punctuational errors you think I have made but that's a slippery slope because you can ask any number of authors to punctuate a short story, or any other writing piece that isn't a formal essay or things of that nature and I guarantee you every single one would be different. So unless what I wrote was intended as an essay (which it wasn't) then I reserve the liberty of artistic freedom just as any other person. (Go talk to a creative writing professor and you will know what I'm talking about). good talk good talk.
You intersperse hostility, metaphors, similes and sexual references in each of your 'review of a review' posts, and you've done it with seemingly no other reason than an attempt at wit. Additionally you include an arbitrary score, which, while perhaps meaningful to you, has no reference or bearing to anyone else. The overall antagonistic nature, combined with the poor quality of writing, make your posts resemble the 'pointless blather' you describe as trolling more than they resemble the constructive, well-thought-out criticism that you claim they are.
If your reading hostility I assure you that is not my doing. Yes the score is meant for me in order to keep track for myself, and not for you so why are you concerning yourself with it or my post at all?

nativesoldier

Jun 24, 2009
nilcypher said:
nativesoldier said:
Further more, if I'm not mistaken isn't a troll someone who spams sites with pointless blather in effort to get a raise from the other readers? Well if I'm correct then haven't you just played RIGHT into my hand?
Not really. I'm a moderator as well as a news room contributor. I was getting the measure of you.
Well now that makes sense.

nilcypher said:
nativesoldier said:

sooooooooo on that note I don't think I will amuse you anymore unless you would actually like to constructively criticize what I have done by telling me what words I misused. I would ask what punctuational errors you think I have made but that's a slippery slope.
I disagree. Creative license is one thing, basic errors are another. Just to be 'constructive', I've corrected your original post. You can find the edits under this spoiler tag.
As I stated before, most of your 'corrections' are subjective. substituting past for previous and other ones ARE creative choices. Although now, I do see the other errors that I have made and I do apologize for that, and next time that I do edit my writing in this box I will make sure I delete all other parts from the previous sentence which I do admit was my mistake. So yes, I will thank you because I missed those. Thank you

johnsom

May 28, 2009
The sims is an addictive game. I played the first one and was hooked pretty quickly. However, my sims eventually started to get out of hand and eventually they were constantly late for work lol. I hope they slowed the game time a bit so you can actually get into town and get back and work on some other stuff. I don't think I will play this one. I eventually got bored of the first and resorted to building my ultimate bachelor pad. I do think this will be a welcome addition to the collections of true sims fans.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
screw the quote,enjoy my story of two stupid Sims whom straved because they couldnt go up than go down stairs.

I held a wedding party and by no intervention what so ever,two of my guests got stuck in my living room due to my overly complex house design(which makes the most sense out of other thoughts me and my friend had.The living room had a porch(fact:that was the first time I ever wrote(typed or otherwise) the word porch)which was fenced off and that you had to go upstairs than go downstairs by a different staircase,than go down the final smaller staircase bringing you to the front of the porch.

Three days later they both died,one of my Sims saw the first one die and was horrible depressed for quite sometime and while the other one died,I made damn sure the pregnant woman stayed well away from them.

Its not murder if someone straved to death because they go lost in your house is it?

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i want to gta the sims , with sims criminal empire add on , start out with stealing cookies and end up a don ,playing god or satan would be fun .... i prefer satan lol

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i am afraid of buying this... mostly because my wife will probably kill me for "having another family" hahaha

and yeah, loved the new "all time goals" gives a sense of "why?" in the game i never saw... in the GAME!!! :p

is it possible to have a guy married living with his parents???, and then making him move to a different place??? just to recreate my life story :p

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Undeadpope said:
screw the quote,enjoy my story of two stupid Sims whom straved because they could go up than go down stairs.

I held a wedding party and by no intervention what so ever,two of my guests got stuck in my living room due to my overly complex house design(which makes the most sense out of other thoughts me and my friend had.The living room had a porch(fact:that was the first time I ever wrote(typed or otherwise) the word porch)which was fenced off and that you had to go upstairs than go downstairs by a different staircase,than go down the final smaller staircase bringing you to the front of the porch.

Three days later they both died,one of my Sims saw the first one die and was horrible depressed for quite sometime and while the other one died,I made damn sure the pregnant woman stayed well away from them.

Its not murder if someone straved to death because they go lost in your house is it?
o_O... that would make a head line storie... "two dead guys FOUND after severall weeks of searching in the labirynt house of Teller (yeah, he´s got one)"

haha

DI7789

Aug 30, 2008
I love the Sims 3. The one really big complaint I do have is EA's marketing strategy with Sims games. They release the game, it has a few errors or compatibility issues. They then proceed to promise and release expansion after expansion. This makes them a lot of money because people fall for this marketing scheme every time (To be honest, its very clever. People say they'll wait until expansion pack no. 5 but they'll always feel taunted by the fact they're missing out on something they could easily have if they were prepared to pay a bit more a bit later for the expansions).

P.S. I'm sorry for any bad English there. I don't mean it harshly, but something about the Escapist forums just... does something to me.

TheDoomThing

Jun 24, 2009
While the Sims is fun and all, I always found it incredibly annoying the amount of micro-managing to you had to do just to make sure that your Sim was happy and what not. The most fun I got from the entire thing was the customizing, and simply screwing around a disproportionate amount. In the Pets expansion, it was oddly fun creating a blue ragdoll cat with a plaid golfer hat and naming it "Mr. Bombpops." Also on my list of favorite things to do in Sims, I also liked to put a single person in a household then watch them descend into madness by keeping their social meter incredibly low. While I did play Sims, I probably didn't do it in the intended way. I always could never really fill up their meters, so I just toyed around with the game to bizarrely entertaining effect. Good times, good times...

nativesoldier said:
This review kind of blew ... (ellipses are three dots, not seven and there should be a space either side)hard. All that is you talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. (clumsy sentence there) IT'S (missed an apostrophe) A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? You completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game and you failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was whether the building aspect similar to the old or was whether it was renovated or (I know you hate them, but this should be an 'or') what (besides the live town) differed in this game from the past previous Sims games. (no need for an ellipse or the 'etc') Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going (not sure what you mean here). The video mentions a few more points (and even that then, only in passing) but spends an exuberant extraordinate amount of time on creating your Sim again, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping whole hole to attest to that.

Needs some work C-
Larry, is this your homework?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Symplify said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Symplify said:
That actually looks pretty good, I might buy it. How well would a nVidia 8800 GT OC run it?

I liked the end "It's like looking into a mirror...."
That's what I'm running on my rig :) so it'll look about the same.
Fantastic. How much CPU power and RAM do you have? I feel like those two hold me back (1.8 ghz and 2.5 gigs, respectively)
I can tell you that the game does just fine on midrange rigs. I've got a 2006-issue E6600 dual core (2.4GHz), an 8800GT, and 3GB of RAM on Windows XP and Sims 3 handles it like a champ.

Symplify

Jun 13, 2009
SimuLord said:
Symplify said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Symplify said:
That actually looks pretty good, I might buy it. How well would a nVidia 8800 GT OC run it?

I liked the end "It's like looking into a mirror...."
That's what I'm running on my rig :) so it'll look about the same.
Fantastic. How much CPU power and RAM do you have? I feel like those two hold me back (1.8 ghz and 2.5 gigs, respectively)
I can tell you that the game does just fine on midrange rigs. I've got a 2006-issue E6600 dual core (2.4GHz), an 8800GT, and 3GB of RAM on Windows XP and Sims 3 handles it like a champ.
Ah, ok, thanks. I'm planning on getting a new processor this summer before my obsolete socket type becomes entirely unavailable.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
It's not a bad game, but it isn't a great game when figuring in that it is coming after 99 expansions for the previous sims. I always feel weird playing something that is obviously inferior in scope to its previous itineration.

Not like they wouldn't still have had 90 million clothing packs they could have made after. Well worth a look at though, not 50 dollars good, but easily 35-40 dollars.

Daltonsmithabc

Jun 21, 2009
Sims 3 is one of those games you have to be a certain type of person to like. I personally don't like it however thats not going to stop EA from making a fortune out of this game.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Daltonsmithabc said:
Sims 3 is one of those games you have to be a certain type of person to like. I personally don't like it however thats not going to stop EA from making a fortune out of this game.
Furthermore, when you're making your buying decision, you're pretty much asking yourself "am I willing to part with 35 bucks twice a year to get the full experience, and just how much do I like long-term game-building projects?" I've got 35 bucks to spare and I love games that build themselves over the course of long multi-year sessions of building stuff, so The Sims works great as I see it.

Ardus_Virgo

Aug 11, 2008
nativesoldier said:
nilcypher said:
nativesoldier said:
This review kind of blew.......hard. All that is talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. ITS A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? Completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game. Failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was the building aspect similar to the old or was it renovated. what (besides the live town) differed this game from the past Sims...etc. Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going. The video mentions a few more points (and even that, only in passing) but spends an exuberant amount of time on creating your Sim again, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping whole to attest to that.

It's a little hard to take your writing advice seriously when it's packed full of punctuation errors and malapropisms.

While we're on the subject, did you sign up just to troll the reviews, or is it just a happy coincidence?
And yet its better than reading "or" every other word. plus that's the only writing advice, that pertained to her actual writing style while the rest I talked about things that should have been included yet you only focused on that...

Call it what you will, but I have been visiting this site for some time and honestly just got tired of the poor quality of some of the reviews here and the only way that I could voice my objections and opinion was by....you guessed it... signing up.

Further more, if I'm not mistaken isn't a troll someone who spams sites with pointless blather in effort to get a raise from the other readers? Well if I'm correct then haven't you just played RIGHT into my hand? It was a simple review of what else I would like (and I'm sure others would as well) in the reviews, nothing more. you however, try for blind judgment with no effort of constructive criticism. THAT seems a bit more trollish than what I did. sooooooooo on that note I don't think I will amuse you anymore unless you would actually like to constructively criticize what I have done by telling me what words I misused. I would ask what punctuational errors you think I have made but that's a slippery slope because you can ask any number of authors to punctuate a short story, or any other writing piece that isn't a formal essay or things of that nature and I guarantee you every single one would be different. So unless what I wrote was intended as an essay (which it wasn't) then I reserve the liberty of artistic freedom just as any other person. (Go talk to a creative writing professor and you will know what I'm talking about). good talk good talk.
We could avoid this whole conversation/argument if you kept your opinions to yourself. You could have easily just said that you didn't like the video or review (or any "the sims" games from what I can gather) and left it at that. Only a troll would go through the effort that you did to make a huge deal out of this. So, would you mind not listing every, single, thing that you don't like? It would save me the trouble of typing this. (In retrospect, I could have easily just put: Tl;DR. And that would have said what I needed to say. :) )

nativesoldier

Jun 24, 2009
Ardus_Virgo said:
nativesoldier said:
nilcypher said:
nativesoldier said:
This review kind of blew.......hard. All that is talked about is the aspect of creating and controlling your Sim. ITS A SIMS GAME WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU DO, CUT UP THE CD AND EAT IT? Completely ignored a lot of the aspects of them game. Failed to mention things such as how the game ran, load times, was the building aspect similar to the old or was it renovated. what (besides the live town) differed this game from the past Sims...etc. Also, you don't need the word OR when separating, choices, ideas, decisions, OR thoughts between every SINGLE one. The video flows about as well as a truck going up hill on its rims. Whether you wrote it out yourself or were handed the material, read it a few times, get a rhythm that attracts people going. The video mentions a few more points (and even that, only in passing) but spends an exuberant amount of time on creating your Sim again, when it could be discussing other aspects of the game that get less time in the sun than an inmate in a high security prison, and has the gaping whole to attest to that.

It's a little hard to take your writing advice seriously when it's packed full of punctuation errors and malapropisms.

While we're on the subject, did you sign up just to troll the reviews, or is it just a happy coincidence?

We could avoid this whole conversation/argument if you kept your opinions to yourself. You could have easily just said that you didn't like the video or review (or any "the sims" games from what I can gather) and left it at that. Only a troll would go through the effort that you did to make a huge deal out of this. So, would you mind not listing every, single, thing that you don't like? It would save me the trouble of typing this. (In retrospect, I could have easily just put: Tl;DR. And that would have said what I needed to say. :) )
Oh I'm sorry i didn't realize you got to choose how much of an opinion I have or control what I want to write. call me what you want, I do what I want for me and not you. Again if I am a troll then aren't you only helping my situation and hurting yours? How does that make any sense?