Review: The Undergarden

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
1,912
0
0
Aaaw thats sweet! Don't think I'll get it, puzzle games aren't really my thing, but it would definitely be top of my list.
 

SenseOfTumour

New member
Jul 11, 2008
4,514
0
0
Well, it looks bloody lovely, and I think gamers are slowly becoming more open to games that don't involve shotguns, so I hope it'll do well. If the casual gamer market hears of it, I sense it'll do well in the growing female over 30 group most of all.
 

Evilsanta

New member
Apr 12, 2010
1,933
0
0
Wow it looks so cute and cuddly...As puzzle games isnt my strong side i think it will take some time before i get this.
 

Marowit

New member
Nov 7, 2006
1,271
0
0
My girlfriend looooooved Limbo(the puzzles along with the ambiance), and I think she'll be taken in by the cuteness overload of this game. I'm glad I'll be able to have her watch the video review to see if it's something she wants to pick up though.
 

Grahav

New member
Mar 13, 2009
1,129
0
0
SenseOfTumour said:
Well, it looks bloody lovely, and I think gamers are slowly becoming more open to games that don't involve shotguns, so I hope it'll do well. If the casual gamer market hears of it, I sense it'll do well in the growing female over 30 group most of all.
Yeah, it is strange that the only red it is from flowers and the explosions only affect rocks.
 

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
1,846
0
0
Ahhh, my kind of game. It's always refreshing to see a game where guns aren't the solution, and the solution just so happens to be MOAR KYOOTNESS!!
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
I am fairly sure that the positive review has nothing to do with the fact that The Undergarden was advertised on the Escapist.
 

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
1,743
0
0
AnythingOutstanding said:
I am fairly sure that the positive review has nothing to do with the fact that The Undergarden was advertised on the Escapist.
Perhaps they agreed to advertise when they decided it was good.
 

k-ossuburb

New member
Jul 31, 2009
1,312
0
0
This and "Kirby's Epic Yarn" have made me wonder if games really do need to be immensely hard to be challenging. You can't die in "K.E.Y." and I guess you can't in this one neither, but it that a problem? As far as I can tell this is what the Extra Credits guys meant when they were talking about easy games this week. You can have a lot of fun if a game has enough quality to it. You can do without a story, enemies, NPCS and any of the other staples of modern (and retro/arcade) gaming as long as the game is consistent and progressive to remain challenging and engaging throughout. Some of the most minimalist games out there have been the ones that have withstood the test of time without much degradation or changes to the original formula; Tetris being the prime example.
 
Sep 9, 2007
631
0
0
While its not something I can play for long stretches (Usually I'll clear 1 or 2 courses in a sitting) its an enjoyable, if somewhat quirky game. However trying to move the musicians around en mass sometimes feels like more pain than its worth, to me at least. (Level 4, I'm looking at you)
 

someotherguy

New member
Nov 15, 2009
483
0
0
To be honest, It looks like something i'd have on the tv at a party for people to pick up at play, other than that. eh.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
AnythingOutstanding said:
I am fairly sure that the positive review has nothing to do with the fact that The Undergarden was advertised on the Escapist.
I wanted to do this review because I found the game to be unusual and charming, and quite possibly under most folks' radars. I had no idea they were going to be doing any marketing with us.
 

KEM10

New member
Oct 22, 2008
725
0
0
k-ossuburb said:
This and "Kirby's Epic Yarn" have made me wonder if games really do need to be immensely hard to be challenging. You can't die in "K.E.Y." and I guess you can't in this one neither, but it that a problem? As far as I can tell this is what the Extra Credits guys meant when they were talking about easy games this week. You can have a lot of fun if a game has enough quality to it. You can do without a story, enemies, NPCS and any of the other staples of modern (and retro/arcade) gaming as long as the game is consistent and progressive to remain challenging and engaging throughout. Some of the most minimalist games out there have been the ones that have withstood the test of time without much degradation or changes to the original formula; Tetris being the prime example.
I was thinking something similar. I have spent hours on Chime and probably months on Electroplankton, but they are nice games to relax with and very easy to just pick up and mess around with and then put them down again.
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
Hmm. Looks alright, but not really my thing. Reminds me somewhat of Aquaria.

Also, is it always you who reviews the odd little off-beat games? Or am I just imagining it?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Zhukov said:
Hmm. Looks alright, but not really my thing. Reminds me somewhat of Aquaria.

Also, is it always you who reviews the odd little off-beat games? Or am I just imagining it?
Tends to be me, yeah. :) One of the things I really enjoy about getting to do this for a living is introducing people to games they might not otherwise give a chance. So when I have the chance to cover something a little off-center, I do it.
 

Electrogecko

New member
Apr 15, 2010
811
0
0
Zhukov said:
Hmm. Looks alright, but not really my thing. Reminds me somewhat of Aquaria.

Also, is it always you who reviews the odd little off-beat games? Or am I just imagining it?
AQUARIA!!! Omfg that game is absolutely fantastic and way too underrated/overlooked. If that game had been a 360 release, it would've been in my top 3 along with Portal and some other game I'm not sure on. The visuals and music are both near perfection and combine to make the game one of the best examples of superb environmental settings that I've ever seen. (seriously varied and amazing soundtrack- sometimes one the most beautiful things I've ever heard, sometimes frightening or foreboding, sometimes upbeat and uplifting, but ALWAYS catchy and melodic) I can't recomend it enough.

This game is definitely up my alley. Puzzles, exploration, platforming, color, music, challenges, replayability- All things I look for in games. Definite buy for me I think.
 

Zacharine

New member
Apr 17, 2009
2,854
0
0
Zhukov said:
Hmm. Looks alright, but not really my thing. Reminds me somewhat of Aquaria.
It does seem to bear more than a passing resemblance. Which, in my book, is a great thing.

Hmm, might be worth a try. I've been looking for a game to sink a few hours into and this one just might fit the bill.
 

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
750
0
0
I might have to pick this up when I have some money. The world needs more games with a relaxed pace and more games that don't involve killing things.