Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Transformers: War for Cybertron

The Transformers license can make for a darn good game - if the developers have the Touch.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, certainly looks and sounds like something I would expect from a Psudo-Movie Francise point of view...

If I get bored in summer its something I can at least look at purchasing to keep me busy

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
This is something I have really been wanting to pick up. And all of the comparisons between this and Batman: Arkham Asylum as truly great game adaptions, only adds fuel to the fire. I would be able to get it now, if only I didn't need stuff like food. and rent. and WoW subscription.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
I thought it was ok. The linearity of the entire campaign really killed it for me. But the action, ohh the action, is very solid, even with the weaker Decepticon side. I definitely thought this was a much much better representation of what Transformers as a game should be. Good on them!

Co-op mode is where it's at with this game. Make some friends and enjoy it on Hard Mode.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Really enjoying the multiplayer on this game. I am addicted to Scientist/Disguise. :) Good review though! Thanks.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
"..........it's a game that fans of the Transformers will feel is made by them, for them."

Too right John. The lead designer of the game at High Moon Studios is a fan of the original cartoons, and wanted to make the game feel like an authentic Transformers game for gamers and Transformers fans alike, no just a wonky shadow of Bay's movies.

I guess he pretty much hit the nail on the head.

.[B@lL15T1C].

Apr 15, 2009
I was very much looking forward to this, but no split-screen play has kind of killed the co-op for me.

I was planning on winding away some days with the missus playing this, i'd assumed the co-op and horde mode bit would be splitscreen playable much like gears was.

:(

EDIT- then again I might get it when it comes down in price or get it pre-owned.

MattLepore

Jul 3, 2009
I'm really, really loving Transformers: War for Cybertron. I've always been a fan of Transformers and WFC is just an amazing adaptation.

However, I felt that the storyline missions weren't broken down enough. While I have no problem with games with length (I mean, who doesn't like more gameplay?) but the missions were ridiculously drawn out. If they had split every mission into two missions, I think that'd be better and more approachable, but it's hard to play campaign in short bursts, as chapters are widely spread out and the missions themselves take hours.

Other than that, and some balancing in the multiplayer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game. I love how they had less widely-known characters, and each has a familiar, yet distinct design. I'd like to see some DLC containing extra chassis for multiplayer, and a sequel wouldn't be too bad if they were really dedicated to it. Transformers: Year One, anyone?

Also, BLAM!

EDIT: I just realized I was signed into my old account that I thought I had lost.
Guess not.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
As a strange kind of Transformers Fan, one who never had any toys and did not see the animated representation, but absolutely loved the comics, i'm happy that this game is good AND is set entirely on Cybertron.

The Transformers concept itself might hinge on the whole "Robots in Disguise", and therefore "Alien Robots on Earth....in Disguise" thing, but i've always preferred the stories of endless war, impossibly over-the-top power struggles and desperate sacrifices on Cybertron over the "present" and more mundane Stories on Earth. I guess humans just tended to get too much in the way ^^.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
The more I hear about this game, the more I'm inclined to put some cash aside for it. If it really is this much of a return to what makes Transformers awesome, I'm all for it.

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
My one complaint so far? I'd love to see more variety in multiplayer skins. And yes, I realize this is pretty petty all things considered, but it seems like everytime I play Team Deathmatch and pick Leader I get stuck with Soundwave's form, which isn't bad but I like my Optimus config better as well as having more variety with the Ironhide/Ratchet models. Hoping this is something we see in DLC later along with more maps.

That aside, I've had a ridiculous amount of fun with this game. And I haven't even tried Escalation yet.

Feb 13, 2008
Transformers was always an odd beast. It was one of the few shows from my youth (Ok...late-teens :p) where I could empathise with both sides. And that's why the Bay re-jerk hit me so hard.

But...

Even a jaded old cynic like myself can see the pure childhood beauty in this. If only everything in life could be as reliable as Bumblebee's car form.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
What was that song at the end!? It sounded pretty bad ass >.>

OT: LOVE THIS GAME! I am trying to level my four classes equally and currently have them all at level 5. As for campaign I'm on chapter VIII still. This game inspired me to get season 1 of G1...which I haven't popped into the DVP yet and keep hearing is garbage xD It's all good though, Me Grimlock not care!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I gotta say that it looks and sounds good. But I'm not a Transformers fan and neither are most of my friends so I probably won't ever play it.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
What was that song at the end!? It sounded pretty bad ass >.>

OT: LOVE THIS GAME! I am trying to level my four classes equally and currently have them all at level 5. As for campaign I'm on chapter VIII still. This game inspired me to get season 1 of G1...which I haven't popped into the DVP yet and keep hearing is garbage xD It's all good though, Me Grimlock not care!
It's called "'Til All Are One" by Stan Bush. He wrote "The Touch" and "Dare" for the 1986 animated Transformers film. It plays over the end credits to the game. And yes, it's awesome. :D

AvsJoe said:
I gotta say that it looks and sounds good. But I'm not a Transformers fan and neither are most of my friends so I probably won't ever play it.
You don't really need to be a fan to enjoy this game. Being able to instantly change into a vehicle makes it a great multiplayer experience.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.

Jun 26, 2009
Not a big transformers fan myself (before my time) but I realy liked this game though certain classes online are OP (tank) and others UP (scout) but otherwise it's a realy good game...
I'm suprised it's by activision.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
tehroc said:
Only thing I dont understand, if it occurs 1000 years in the past why do they have Earth vehicle forms? That's the only real nitpick I see on premise.

I haven't played it yet and do plan on perhaps renting it.
Thouse are the Cybertronian form... not the terran vehicules form, they look like the terran for but not exactelly